Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:57   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

They are a bunch of morons. I tried to book a non-tatkal ticket and over my 2mbps airtel gurgaon DSL, I could NOT book it over two days before a cousin booked it from his non-airtel (on the 3rd try no less).

instead of policing the site, they should accept that demand has outstripped supply and that they have a pathetic infrastructure and go about augmenting it. Today what really happens is that everyone enlists their cousins, bestfriends and their dogs in order to try and get a shot at one ticket. It just adds to the chaos. If the demand was in line with supply, then none of this chaos would ensue.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:10   #377
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I could NOT book it over two days before a cousin booked it from his non-airtel
While I understand your pain and have been in similar situations, what has this got to do with airtel/ non-airtel or even Internet speed?

We all know the problem is at the server end and not our end. :(

Quote:
instead of policing the site, they should accept that demand has outstripped supply
I think the IRCTC guy had given a statement sometime back admitting that. He also mentioned that there is a connection limit which he does not want to increase since those without internet connectivity such as those in rural areas will be at a disadvantage if everyone in the cities exhaust the quota by online booking.
Old 2nd July 2012, 23:56   #378
BHPian

Hi everybody
I booked one ticket(not tatkal) from Secunderabad to Lokmanya tilak terminus.
After filling all the details of my SBI debit card I clicked on pay.Was asked to wait.Waited for a very long time and nothing happened nor did I get any confirmation by SMS or email.
Once again booked the ticket and the transaction went through.
I was debited the amount of rs 870 twice.Subsequently received a credit of rs 860 = rs 10.
My question is whether I will be debited any other charges later on.
Thanks and regards
Old 3rd July 2012, 09:37   #379
Senior - BHPian

^^^No - there won't be any other debits. You already got a refund for the 860+10 that was charged for the 1st booking that did not complete, so you are good.
Old 10th July 2012, 15:29   #380
Senior - BHPian

Some changes in the IRCTC Tatkal booking timings. The new timings for tatkal will open from 10 am instead of the earlier 8 am a day before the actual travel date. This is being done to prevent the misuse of the system by the so called agents. Tatkal booking will not be available to any agent between 10 am to 12 pm. Dont know how this is going to prevent the regular crashing of the server for tatkal bookings.

New Tatkal booking system from today | NDTV.com
Old 10th July 2012, 15:58   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
They are a bunch of morons. I tried to book a non-tatkal ticket and over my 2mbps airtel gurgaon DSL, I could NOT book it over two days before a cousin booked it from his non-airtel (on the 3rd try no less).
Could you elaborate what difference does it make with Airtel/non-Airtel internet connection in the process of online ticket booking through IRCTC ?

Rohan
Old 10th July 2012, 17:45   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Could you elaborate what difference does it make with Airtel/non-Airtel internet connection in the process of online ticket booking through IRCTC ?

Rohan
Utter despicable failure and sputtering success in this case.

My only point is that I was simply unable to go beyond the login page despite a decently fast account on a top tier provider. That is a seriously bad state of affairs (for that weekend).

Though another provider seemed to do the trick (my ID only!)
Old 10th July 2012, 23:27   #383
Senior - BHPian

I just booked one ticket, while for the next one, money was deducted but irctc connection hung. Now the regular "wait for irctc refund, and book another ticket" nonsense begins all over again. If it doesnt load on a 2mbps connection, what a darned shame, no?
Old 11th July 2012, 00:21   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Some changes in the IRCTC Tatkal booking timings. The new timings for tatkal will open from 10 am instead of the earlier 8 am a day before the actual travel date. This is being done to prevent the misuse of the system by the so called agents. Tatkal booking will not be available to any agent between 10 am to 12 pm. Dont know how this is going to prevent the regular crashing of the server for tatkal bookings.

New Tatkal booking system from today | NDTV.com
Hi
I dont know how that would solve the problem.The only way I think will be that at 8 AM there would be less demand of the bandwidth because of only regular bookings for trains which are booked months in advance.After a couple of hours it will be less of a problem as only the tatkal plus the less important trains would be booked.May make it eaier.
Has anybody experienced it today?
Regards
Old 11th July 2012, 09:47   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi
I dont know how that would solve the problem.The only way I think will be that at 8 AM there would be less demand of the bandwidth because of only regular bookings for trains which are booked months in advance.After a couple of hours it will be less of a problem as only the tatkal plus the less important trains would be booked.May make it eaier.
Has anybody experienced it today?
Regards
Absolutely true. I booked a tatkal ticket yesterday from my office in a lesisurely way. Earlier I cant even go past the login page from my office connection. Yesterday infact i logged in at around 10.25 am and still tickets were available in all the classes in chennai express from Hyderabad to chennai. I hope this continues well atleast untill the touts come up with some super plans to kind of disruption. Lets see how it will be for the weekend travel.
Old 26th July 2012, 08:29   #386
Senior - BHPian

Has the fare been taken out from the Train Details tab? Is there any other way / site to compare fares between classes of the same / other train?
Old 26th July 2012, 10:42   #387
BHPian

Today I was greeted with these 'quota warnings' on IRCTC:
2 tatkal tickets only allowed per IP address between 10-12pm.

I wonder if they meant 2 separate bookings(PNR) or only 2 passengers in one PNR. Commonsense says it is the former.

By the way, I couldn't even get train list on firefox whereas IE worked like a charm, is this another trick of IRCTC folks to allow 'equal advantage' for 'rural junta' as someone wrote above.

Last edited by deetee : 26th July 2012 at 10:44.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:42   #388
Team-BHP Support

IRCTC to launch deposit scheme for faster bookings - The Times of India

I think its a good idea for frequent travelers.
Old 30th August 2012, 14:07   #389
Senior - BHPian

^^^Sounds good. The shift from IRCTC portal to bank-gateway and then back is where most bookings fail and which will be hopefully eliminated by this scheme. Plus refund will be quicker than when it is to come from the banks.

IRCTC would get to sit on a pile of cash without having to pay interest on it, but I guess this is offset by the convenience and time saved. Especially for folks like me who travel almost every week.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:20   #390
Senior - BHPian

Live updates:
Trying to book a tatkal ticket to Mumbai for my mother. Not very critical to get a ticket in train, but still trying.
Site was absolutely perfect till 9:55 AM.
Exactly 10 AM, and the site becomes slow, and I start getting "Service Unavailable" messages.
I thought maybe Chrome has some disadvantage over IE (someone mentioned IE will work better in a few posts above).
It was worse with IE 9.
Switched back to Chrome. It has been 20 minutes and I can not go beyond "Plan my Travel" page.

Bottom line: It was much better a couple of months ago during the 8 AM slot.

Last edited by S_U_N : 31st August 2012 at 10:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks