Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2012, 10:50   #391
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Live updates:

Bottom line: It was much better a couple of months ago during the 8 AM slot.

At weekends this is the usual story. If IRCTC upgrades hardware then those at the reservation counters will get affected, so they are maintaining status quo.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:56   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

*1: Upgrade servers to accommodate huge demand
*2: Remove all ads in the pages affecting bandwidth
*3: The deposit scheme is a good idea by them. Get good money from everyone [Minimum is Rs.1500] instead of doing steps 1 and 2 which will help avoid the need for step 3 :(
Old 31st August 2012, 11:06   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
*1: Upgrade servers to accommodate huge demand
They already have state of the art stuff and pretty expensive machinery from the enterprise market. How do I know ? Cant disclose for obvious reasons. Problem here is that, they don't have in-house maintenance when faced with glitches. It's been outsourced and one of the worst service providers I have seen. Usually takes 2/3 hours for the techie to reach the hosting center. Beat this, they don't have a single guy onsite who knows how to unplug a failed hard drive from the array and insert a new one. Complete nincompoops when it comes to maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
*2: Remove all ads in the pages affecting bandwidth
The biggest problem and wonder who even designed the portal and decided to have ads. Our forum is better with minimum/no ads.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:14   #394
Senior - BHPian

Live Update:
It is now 1 hour and 11 minutes since I started booking and I am still not successful.
After 10:40, the speed increased and I was able to at least go to the payment stage.
Tried with credit card, money got deducted and IRCTC threw a "service unavailable" page.
I had to start all over and check the failed transactions. I saw the transaction listed there and then started entering all details again in "Plan my travel".
I decided to get smart and use HDFC netbanking.
This time too, after entering all credentials, nothing happened, the transaction failed.
In both cases, money has got deducted as confirmed from the SMS that I got from the bank.

I am now in my third attempt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: At 11:28, my ticket got booked.

Last edited by S_U_N : 31st August 2012 at 11:30. Reason: ticket booked.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:15   #395
Senior - BHPian

Man that is scary indeed :( No wonder it sucks so much. Any idea what their financials are? Do they report it? Just curious what profit they are making.
Old 31st August 2012, 14:50   #396
Senior - BHPian

Still, I doubt if it has an added advantage with respect to speed, as the site is additionally burdened a bit by what the bank site does.

Last edited by thoma : 31st August 2012 at 14:53.
Old 31st August 2012, 16:49   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Still, I doubt if it has an added advantage with respect to speed, as the site is additionally burdened a bit by what the bank site does.
Advantages could be no additional service charge by banks for failed transactions and speedier refunds in case of transaction failures.

Regards,
Old 6th September 2012, 17:16   #398
BHPian

Has anyone managed to get a ticket on Tatkal after the timing moved to 10:00? In the first case I dont find a ticket to Trichur or Palghat or HYD most of the times, be it normal quota or the tatkal route!!
Old 30th October 2012, 13:33   #399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Has anyone managed to get a ticket on Tatkal after the timing moved to 10:00? In the first case I dont find a ticket to Trichur or Palghat or HYD most of the times, be it normal quota or the tatkal route!!
Yes, even I would like to know if anyone succeeded in booking a ticket? If yes, on which attempt were you able to book it? Any tips?
Old 30th October 2012, 14:45   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Yes, even I would like to know if anyone succeeded in booking a ticket? If yes, on which attempt were you able to book it? Any tips?
Yes, I was able to book it twice in Tatkal last week. In first case I was able to book with first attempt with just one refresh. In second case I keep entering details and than page time out while going for payment and it went on for 30 minutes. Tried 2-3 different machines with different browsers and still not able to book it. Thank tried login to irctc site from a machine in US and was able to book from there in 2 attempts.
Old 6th December 2012, 19:08   #401
Senior - BHPian

After a long time I had to book a Tatkal ticket for tomorrow to Kerala and it was a harrowing experience :
1) Home page would take a long time to load
2) Once loaded and credentials entered, it wont go to Booking page (throws ServiceUnavailable error). In the rare cases it does go to Booking page, it took ages.
3) Once in Booking page, the calendar would not come up (this is a new one - never faced this before) - so no way to enter travel date.
4) Finally after a long time when I proceed to booking, the alphabets of the image-identification won't load.
5) After starting at 10AM, trying different browsers/network-connections/laptops etc I finally get the ticket at 11AM - 1 hour wasted.

I fail to understand why they disable QuickBook till Noon. With Quickbook, so many intermediate steps/pages are eliminated and thus chances of screwup are less. So people booking tickets will be able to complete the transactions quicker and there won't be a need for the site to be overloaded for an hour or more like it is today. And since it is available to everyone who wants to use it, it is a level playing field. Then why disable it ?

I also dont understand why they need image-identification for train ticket booking ?
Old 7th December 2012, 00:33   #402
BHPian

Hi everybody
2 days back I tried booking a ticket(not tatkal)
I got a message that the account has been suspende.
Next I tried to book using my wife's id.Again same message.
Called up their no at Delhi and it was answered immediately(it was 1.45 at night).
I was asked to send an email which I did and received an answer that my accounts have been blocked because of duplication.
I have booked only 1 ticket in the last 2 years and cant understand how to resolve.
Somebody please help.I cant change my email id nor can I change my mobile no.
Thanks and regards
PS:As I couldnt book on IRCTC logged on Makemytrip and the booking went smoothly.
Old 7th December 2012, 08:57   #403
BHPian

Any idea if IRCTC had implemented the e-wallet or RDS scheme at their end to load the money. Many times, the banking redirect goofs up at my end. Hence planning to load the e-wallet if possible.

Appreciate your help
Old 10th December 2012, 19:29   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
Somebody please help.I cant change my email id nor can I change my mobile no.
They had sometime ago started a drive to weed out duplicate accounts. I believe one criteria they brought in was to have a unique mobile# for each account. Possible that both your accounts share the same mobile# and hence both getting locked. I had the same phone# on my and wifey's IRCTC account and had the same problem, but this was resolved without any issue by changing the mobile# in her account profile to her phone#.
Old 11th December 2012, 00:14   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
They had sometime ago started a drive to weed out duplicate accounts. I believe one criteria they brought in was to have a unique mobile# for each account. Possible that both your accounts share the same mobile# and hence both getting locked. I had the same phone# on my and wifey's IRCTC account and had the same problem, but this was resolved without any issue by changing the mobile# in her account profile to her phone#.
SupremeBaleno
Hi
Thanks your reply.
I did that exercise and changed my mobile number so that my wife had different registered number.
In june I booked a ticket and when I tried to do that a few days back I was not able to.
The only thing common was the email id and maybe that created the problem.
I have sent emails to customer care executives and there has been no response.
Any othere suggestion to activate?
Thanks and regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks