Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 16:59   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

I use, indianrail, Awesome app. After trying and testing various apps, settled for this one.
Thanks for the name of the app. When we put Indianrail in app store, lots of apps appear with more or less same name.
Can u please tell us developer company name for easy verification?
Old 26th May 2013, 22:48   #437
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

I am using this app IRCTC (by RSP) and am happy with it. Would recommend this one.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dodC5pcmN0YyJd

Also, would strongly recommend erail.in (both android app & desktop version website) which is super cool for searching trains and is very easy to see all info in one screen.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd

-Ravi
Old 27th May 2013, 10:22   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

I use, indianrail, Awesome app. After trying and testing various apps, settled for this one.
Thanks Sameer, I believe you are talking about the first one. It is pretty good.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130527_102122.png
Views: 1005
Size:  106.9 KB

Will try the others too.
Old 27th May 2013, 10:28   #439
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Thanks Sameer, I believe you are talking about the first one. It is pretty good.
Will try the others too.
Yes, the first one is pretty good. I use it all the time. Especially when i am in the upper births of the train and not able to see the station name or current location. This app provides you the running status and it is very precise. Its the best IRCTC app out there.
Old 30th May 2013, 18:59   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Thanks Sameer, I believe you are talking about the first one. It is pretty good. Will try the others too.
Yes, this one, Awesome app. Sorry for late reply, been away for a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Thanks for the name of the app. When we put Indianrail in app store, lots of apps appear with more or less same name.
Can u please tell us developer company name for easy verification?
Please check attachment above, on post number #438. I am talking about that one.

Last edited by sameerg001 : 30th May 2013 at 19:00.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:29   #441
Senior - BHPian

With the newly announced modifications to the fare-refund rules (effective 1-July-2013), it is pretty clear that the basic idea is increasing revenue indirectly without hiking passenger fares. I have a better idea for the Railways to make more money and the same time cater to the travel needs of a specific group of folks.

Currently we have Railways selling the Tatkal tickets at some premium (~25% or so) over the normal rates and this block of tickets open for booking only the day before the journey.

Why not have a SuperTatkal block of tickets which open only on day of departure of the train ? This will provide an avenue for those that have to travel at extreme short-notice. And Railways can maybe charge 50% premium for these tickets. Ofcourse like with current Tatkal tickets, there will be zero refund on confirmed tickets in this group.
Old 18th July 2013, 13:47   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Why not have a SuperTatkal block of tickets which open only on day of departure of the train ?
24 hours is the most practical approach. Same day "super-tatkal" isnt so usable - what would you do if the train reaches your station at say 1 am ? would Railways open the booking at 12:00 am, like it would for a train leaving at 11 pm ?
Old 18th July 2013, 14:19   #443
Senior - BHPian

Almost all travel sites allow booking of return journey while making forward journey reservation. Why doesn't irctc allow it?
Old 18th July 2013, 16:16   #444
Senior - BHPian

@msdivy, did not really understand your point/concern. Please elaborate on what exactly is not allowed in irctc ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
24 hours is the most practical approach. Same day "super-tatkal" isnt so usable - what would you do if the train reaches your station at say 1 am ? would Railways open the booking at 12:00 am, like it would for a train leaving at 11 pm ?
Current tatkal when it was first started used to open at 8AM, now it is 10AM. So should not be much of an issue to open at 12midnight. There might be other implementation difficulties ofcourse.

Regarding practical use-cases, this thought came due to a personal situation. Yesterday night around 10PM, I learn that there is a personal emergency for which I have to travel to Kerala today. Ofcourse Tatkal for today's train opened yesterday morning @ 10AM and would have been sold-out by 10:30AM or so. I log in and see it is WL3 for 2AC Tatkal and WL6 for 3AC Tatkal. No guarantee of getting confirmed, but book the 3AC one since more coaches than 2AC and so possibly more cancellations. Train is at 15:25, but till 14:15, the status says WL4 and chart not prepared, which is strange. Anyway finally gets confirmed an hour before departure and I somehow manage to catch the train at the last moment.

If there was a superTatkal, I could have tried and got a confirmed berth, without the uncertainty.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 18th July 2013 at 16:19.
Old 18th July 2013, 19:06   #445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@msdivy, did not really understand your point/concern. Please elaborate on what exactly is not allowed in irctc ?
I want to book from A to B and back (B to A) in a single transaction. It is not possible. Now, first I have to book A to B and pay. Then I have to select B to A trains and again make the payment.
Old 2nd September 2013, 09:34   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

I have to book a ticket to Delhi from Vadodara on the 2nd, November i.e. a day before Diwali. Now in line with the 2 month advance booking rule the booking will start from tomorrow for the said date. Out of interest I was just keeping track of the booking status in that week and to my horrow at 9AM itself it starts showing WL of 100+. For example bookings for travel on 1/11/2013 would have opened today and right now everything is in WL already. So has left me wondering what exactly do I need to do to get a confirmed ticket?

1. What time does the Online ticketing start? I was told morning 8AM.
2. Is there some kind of loophole to be exploited by travel agents? In that case I would ask an agent to book the ticket for me instead.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:15   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I have to book a ticket to Delhi from Vadodara on the 2nd, November i.e. a day before Diwali. Now in line with the 2 month advance booking rule the booking will start from tomorrow for the said date. Out of interest I was just keeping track of the booking status in that week and to my horrow at 9AM itself it starts showing WL of 100+. For example bookings for travel on 1/11/2013 would have opened today and right now everything is in WL already. So has left me wondering what exactly do I need to do to get a confirmed ticket?

1. What time does the Online ticketing start? I was told morning 8AM.
2. Is there some kind of loophole to be exploited by travel agents? In that case I would ask an agent to book the ticket for me instead.
I think the festive season is the reason for this. Booking starts at 8:00 AM in the morning.

Hope it helps.

Thanks.

Last edited by mroptimist : 2nd September 2013 at 11:21. Reason: Corrected.
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:41   #448
BHPian

Tried booking a ticket this morning for a friend, Bangalore to Bhopal and got multiple time-out errors and the site was absolutely crawling on a fast LAN connection. It's extremely frustrating, high time the authorities fixed it with proper technology.

Sites which handle multiple times the IRCTC load perform flawlessly in busy seasons as well, there is no excuse for the current IRCTC mess.
Old 4th September 2013, 09:10   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
Tried booking a ticket this morning for a friend,
That 2nd Sep Monday. That is when IRCTC sold record 5.72 lakh e-tickets on single day - the highest in a single day for Railways.

By far IRCTC is highest grossing, profitable e-commerce site in India.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:46   #450
BHPian

Massive Diwali rush to buy tickets on 2nd Sept caused the rush.. but the site held up pretty good, I managed to book two sets of tickets.

This is the highest volume ticketing website IN THE WORLD.

IRCTC is also spending Rs 100 cr to get a new set of servers that will triple capacity to 7500 tickets per minute:

http://www.business-standard.com/art...0200693_1.html

Most Viewed