Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 09:37   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
Hi,

IRCTC have come up with next generation website to solve this overhead issue called as Next generation e Ticketing system to book your train ticket more faster and user friendly than earlier.

As per the different sources, IRCTC website can book 7200 tickets in a minute.

Link: https://www.irctc.co.in/eticketing/loginHome.jsf

More Information : http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i.../1/376982.html
Hope the new website will solve most of our issues

keep reviving
It certainly, is a lot more user friendly now. Recently, I had to book 12 PNR's in 3 days (10 from my account, and 2 from a friend's account), and not a single one of them failed at the payment stage.
That is a first for me on IRCTC, because earlier, almost 50% of the reservation attempts would result in a failed booking due to payment related problems.
Let's hope they can, at some stage, introduce the ability of selecting berths as well, because their berth allocation is opaque and irrational at times.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:09   #587
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran
Practically, even if only 1 of your party of 6, is around to show the ticket to the TT and get it validated, it would be the end of story, and no need to worry. There are plenty of excuses like the rest have gone to eat something in the pantry, or gone to another coach to hang out with another group of friends and so on... Don't fret!
True. If there is atleast one person boarding from source station, you are good. If asked about others, you could just say that they are with other friends in another coach or in the restroom. No big deal. And even in the case of no-show, TTE has to wait atleast 2 subsequent stations before allotting the berth to another person.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:15   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I don't think it should be a problem as such but am curious to know, how did you book different source stations on the same PNR?
Sorry if my post was confusing. We cannot book people from different source in a single ticket. All of them have the same source in the ticket.

Quote:
I guess as per law, he can declare these as no-show and allot to the RAC folks.
This is what I wanted clarity on.

Quote:
Which train is this btw?
Chennai mail from Trivandrum, which runs full or excess capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey I would really urge you to get this clarified.

It would be better if you call them ask confirm this.
Any idea whom should I be confirming this with? May be the reservation office nearby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
There are plenty of excuses like the rest have gone to eat something in the pantry, or gone to another coach to hang out with another group of friends and so on
Should I say so or should I be telling the TTE that they will board en route?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And even in the case of no-show, TTE has to wait atleast 2 subsequent stations before allotting the berth to another person.
Half of the gang is boarding from at least 7 stations away!

Last edited by thoma : 20th August 2014 at 10:17.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:26   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

Should I say so or should I be telling the TTE that they will board en route?
No need to be so frank. 99.99% TTE's won't even ask, as long as they find 1 person to validate the PNR. For the remaining 0.01%, give an excuse only when asked for. Just stay and act cool!

I came back yesterday from Udaipur and had 10 berths booked for a group of 9 adults and a 2.5 yr old. Railways don't give out berths for small children, but we needed it, so we booked under a fictitious age (multiplied by 10). No one bothers!

Last edited by roy_libran : 20th August 2014 at 10:28.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:37   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik Gullu View Post
Hi,

IRCTC have come up with next generation website to solve this overhead issue called as Next generation e Ticketing system to book your train ticket more faster and user friendly than earlier.

[/left]
This is available for quite some time, if I recollect correctly more than two months and yes they are relatively better / faster by a long way. In-fact tatkal booking is also painless now. Wish this was implemented long back nevertheless we have it at-least now

Cheers!
Old 20th August 2014, 10:40   #591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No need to be so frank. 99.99% TTE's won't even ask, as long as they find 1 person to validate the PNR. For the remaining 0.01%, give an excuse only when asked for. Just stay and act cool!
Thanks.

But I also wanted to be update with the rule. So a search returned this:

Quote:
CHANGE OF BOARDING POINT :
If a passenger desires to occupy reserved accommodation from any station enroute, he would be permitted to entrain at any intermediate station he chooses irrespective of the distance from the starting station subject to the following conditions :
  1. A specific request must be made in writing at the station from where the ticket is purchased and reservation made atleast 24 hours before the scheduled departure of the train from the starting station.
  2. The Railway Administration reserves the right to use such accommodation from the originating station up to the station at which the passenger is due to entrain.
  3. No refund will be permissible for the portion of journey not performed by the passenger.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:44   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Thanks.

But I also wanted to be update with the rule. So a search returned this:
Thanks.
But, my experience with Railways so far tells me, that the less they know the better it is for us.
Having been privy to a lot of the internal workings in the railways (a large number of family members occupying various posts), I know, from having benefited from the same, what manipulations can happen on the various qoutas (HO etc...).

Rest, it is up to you to decide and do.
Old 20th August 2014, 12:43   #593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, my experience with Railways so far tells me, that the less they know the better it is for us.
More or less true, but in this case, if seats remain vacant for long, people on the RAC/WL will be on the lookout for a berth and ask the TTE why can't he give this/that seat which is vacant. I have witnessed this many times earlier.

Just now I inquired at the general enquiry at my station and the officer told that the persons boarding at the source need to inform the TTE and he will pass the information over phone to the station the rest are boarding!
Old 14th September 2014, 07:23   #594
Senior - BHPian

Special trains have been announced for the festival season(october first week) and the booking for the same starts in one or two days.

So at what time will IRCTC make the seats available for booking? 8 AM or from 12 AM?
Old 16th September 2014, 09:03   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Special trains have been announced for the festival season(october first week) and the booking for the same starts in one or two days.

So at what time will IRCTC make the seats available for booking? 8 AM or from 12 AM?
It opened at 8 AM sharp- though i had arrangement to send a person to the counter, he was told that this 'PREMIUM SUPERFAST SPECIAL' train has only IRCTC site reservation option.

I logged in and the 941 availability dropped down to 54x in no time, managed to book ticket for 6 persons and availability dropped down to 112.

The fact worth mentioning here is the fare: usual fare : Rs.315 and 'premium special' fare for the same is 930(II class sleeper).
Old 16th September 2014, 09:52   #596
BHPian

Quote:
It certainly, is a lot more user friendly now.
+1 to the above. I recently travelled to my wife's hometown and a few nearby places and found the whole booking experience faaar better that what I have had to suffer in the past.

The site runs much smoother now, and I had no trouble logging in, checking availability and getting reservations.
All this was accomplished during the Tatkal rush, wherein earlier I would almost never be able to even log onto the site.
Old 26th November 2014, 00:47   #597
BHPian

Hi everybody
After more than 15 months booked a ticket.
I have a vague recollection that I dont need to carry a printout and the SMS is enough. And a valid ID in original.
One important point to consider is whether the TTEs are aware of this rule.
My ticket Bom Dahanu a distance of 109 kms. The charges are rs 310 , SC 22.47 + PG
What is this SC + PG ? My bank account was debited by rs 334.96. Is there any other charge levied by the bank for using their debit card ?
Thanks in advance
Regards
Old 26th November 2014, 00:57   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
My ticket Bom Dahanu a distance of 109 kms. The charges are rs 310 , SC 22.47 + PG
What is this SC + PG ? My bank account was debited by rs 334.96. Is there any other charge levied by the bank for using their debit card ?
Thanks in advance
Regards

Yes, SMS or ticket email printout or even soft copy in your phone is acceptable and all TTEs are aware of it, no issues.

SC is service charge and PG Is payment gateway charge. complete ticket cost including bank charges are debited together and nothing else is charged later. Have a nice journey.
Old 26th November 2014, 08:31   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
After more than 15 months booked a ticket.
I have a vague recollection that I dont need to carry a printout and the SMS is enough. And a valid ID in original.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Looks like your ticket was a non-A/c class ticket. So here is how the calculation goes:

Chargeable fare (A) = Rs. 310
IRCTC Charges (Non A/c) (B) = Rs. 20
Service tax @12.36% on B (C) = Rs. 2.47
Total transaction amount (A+B+C) (D) = Rs. 332.47
Payment gateway charges @0.75% for Credit/Debit cards (E) = Rs. 2.49
Service tax @12.36% on E (F) = Rs. 0.31
Total charged to customer (D+E+F) (G) = Rs. 335.27

Note: (E) above assumes you pick the cheapest payment gateway there. It actually varies between 0.75% to 1.8% or some such.

Now, in my case the final chargeable amount of Rs. 335.27 is charged to my card in two transactions: First (immediately) a charge of (D+E) = Rs. 334.96 and second, (a day or so later) a charge of (F) = Rs. 0.31.

Hopefully that explains it. Please keep an eye out for the second charge. I might be a bit off in the way they handle service tax, but generally the calculation is correct.
Old 27th November 2014, 00:42   #600
BHPian

Andydude Binanand
Hi
Thanks a lot for your replies. Saves me trouble of taking a printout. Don't have a printer at home.
It is 3 tier a.c. and as I am a senior I get 40 percent discount.
Regads

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks