Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 11:19   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

@binand
Yes, the ticket booked through Railway Reservation Counter and are waitlisted are considered valid for travel.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:45   #692
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Guys, thanks for your inputs.
It was indeed RQWL 1. Just now I got the message saying it has been confirmed!
Old 21st April 2015, 08:34   #693
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Indian Railways has been announcing a lot of holiday special trains as seen in the newspaper ads. I cant see them on the IRCTC website, any place where I can get the information?
Old 23rd April 2015, 17:12   #694
BHPian

The railways have enabled the booking of unreserved tickets via the app now.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7126377.ece
Old 23rd April 2015, 18:12   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
The railways have enabled the booking of unreserved tickets via the app now.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle7126377.ece
As of now, the UTS app is working only for Mumbai and Chennai suburban network. Tried today but no other city option comes. Hopefully it gets a pan-India coverage soon.
Old 24th April 2015, 05:27   #696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
As of now, the UTS app is working only for Mumbai and Chennai suburban network. Tried today but no other city option comes. Hopefully it gets a pan-India coverage soon.
Thanks for the info, hopefully it gets done soon , then we can bid farewell to the serpentine queues at the station.
Old 27th April 2015, 11:19   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Guys,

Indian Railways has been announcing a lot of holiday special trains as seen in the newspaper ads. I cant see them on the IRCTC website, any place where I can get the information?
This should help. I am not involved with the site in anyway but this was the only place I could find the information required by you in one place. The Ernakulam Yeshwantpur Premium train was in the news for the wrong reasons as the train got delayed yesterday by three hours (along with many other trains) due to a last minute loco pilot strike at Ernakulam.

http://24coaches.com/summer-special-...thern-railway/
Old 27th April 2015, 11:55   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
This should help.
Thanks for the info.

Surprised to see not a single special or holiday train in the Mumbai-Chennai or Mumbai- Banagalore sectors. These sectors have always been a neglected lot. While hoardes of trains move out of Mumbai to the north esp the UP and Bihar sectors, Chennai & Bangalore trains always run to the full. Don't understand Railway's logic of not introducing some superfast/Duronto's to Chennai/Bangalore sectors.
Old 27th April 2015, 18:14   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Surprised to see not a single special or holiday train in the Mumbai-Chennai or Mumbai- Banagalore sectors. These sectors have always been a neglected lot. While hoardes of trains move out of Mumbai to the north esp the UP and Bihar sectors, Chennai & Bangalore trains always run to the full. Don't understand Railway's logic of not introducing some superfast/Duronto's to Chennai/Bangalore sectors.
Valid question, Could it be because of line capacity issues? Is the section between Renigunta and Wadi a double line??There is heavy rail movements on this route as as the Kerala Mumbai (via Palghat)/Chennai Mumbai route combines at Renigunta, the Bangalore Mumbai route meets it at Gooty and then at Wadi the branch from Hyderabad joins in and then finally continues via Solapur, Daund Pune and to Mumbai,

Most of the Kerala Mumbai trains are now via Konkan Railway (Calicut/Mangalore/Madgaon/Panvel) and Bangalore Mumbai also has an alternate but slightly longer route via Hubli Belgaum, Satara and Pune but Chennai Mumbai has few such options and to make matters worse some (but not all) of the numerous Tirupati Hyderabad trains also run via Renigunta and Gooty.

With the fastest trains from Bangalore to Mumbai taking 22 to 23 hours, most passengers now prefer buses which does it in around 18 hours.

Bihar/UP/North East are money making sectors for the railways due to consistently high traffic year around. Same is not the case for the South Indian routes which have seasonal peaks, especially during school holidays. In addition to buses, the "no frills" airlines has also taken away some of the upper class traffic.
Old 29th April 2015, 18:04   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Hi Ghodlur,
Could be because of (my speculation) ::
1. The bus lobby (private as well as state bus operators)
2. The state govt themselves which earn a hell lot of road taxes from these buses
Old 3rd May 2015, 22:24   #701
Senior - BHPian

A question for railway gurus:

I need to travel to Rourkela in Feb 2016 from Hyderabad. I do know I can book my tickets only 4 months in advance, but was exploring the various options available. When I searched in irctc, I found only one direct train listed that departs on a Sunday. And only one that departs from Rourkela on the return journey.

But I do know that there are other options, which involve changing trains enroute, like at Nagpur. I found that despite waiting for nearly 2.5 to 3 hours, the total travel time remains the same. And there are very decent options like Gitanjali Express till Nagpur and Bangalore Rajdhani from there till Hyderabad.

So, if I need to take advantage of better trains, do I need to book two tickets for my return: one till Nagpur and one from there to Hyderabad? If yes, won't I lose the advantage of telescopic fare? I am asking because I don't see any 'via' option in irctc.
Old 3rd May 2015, 23:40   #702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
So, if I need to take advantage of better trains, do I need to book two tickets for my return: one till Nagpur and one from there to Hyderabad? If yes, won't I lose the advantage of telescopic fare? I am asking because I don't see any 'via' option in irctc.
The onward booking facility is not available on IRCTC; you need to visit your local PRS location. You definitely can take advantage of telescopic fares, considering the shortest route to Rourkela from Hyderabad involves passing through Nagpur anyway.

Fill up a PRS form with Hyderabad-Nagpur in the main section and Nagpur-Rourkela in the "Onward Journey" section.

You will have to book onward and return separately, though - as the PRS form is not that advanced to cater to both in a single journey. :-)
Old 4th May 2015, 11:56   #703
BHPian

Have dome this multiple times but long back, Trivandrum Pune via Chennai and Bangalore , mainly to avoid the unearthly very early morning arrival times at Pune while travelling in the Kanyakumari Mumbai express and also reservations were difficult to get those days on the direct train.

Last time I did this was a Hyderabad Ernakulam journey. I wanted an early morning arrival in Ernakulam while the Sabari Express reaches only around 2 PM.

Hence I chose one of the last departures of the many overnight Hyderabad Tirupati trains , booked upto Renigunta and then connectted on the Mumbai Kanyakumari Exoress from Renigunta around 3PM which got me into Ernakulam early in the morning on the third day. There were about six hours wait at Renigunta but there was a sleeper class waiting room and it was fine .

In your case if I remember correctly (doing this from memory as qute a few years now since my last trip) write Hyderabad Rourkela in the main section "from/to" columns and in the "reservation upto" column, write Nagpur. Train Number in the first section will be the Hyderabad Nagpur train you chose.

Your onward journey will be Nagpur to Rourkela with the train details of the second train. Ensure that the correct date is put If your first part is in an overnight journey, then the onward date will be the next day. Do not forget that else you may end up with an invalid ticket for the Nagpur Rourkela journey for a train which left the previous day as I am not sure whether IR booking systems will flag this at the time of booking.

The second ticket for Nagpur Rourkela will have RESERVATION SLIP printed on it with the details of your coach and seat/berth numbers. DO NOT throw away the first tcket (the Hyderabad Nagpur part) as the fare details for the entire journey will be in that ticket amd the second ticket may have a cross reference of the first ticket number printed on it.

You may be able to do the return booking at the same time (but with a separate form) without queing up again.

And I would suggest you visit the main PRS centres in your city and not depend on the smaller PRS centres who may not have the facility to do this. My jouneys from Kerala were all booked from Trivandrum Central Reservation Office but for my trip from Hyderabad to Ernakulam , I wasted one hour queing up at Ameerpet reservation office only to be told when my turn came , that that the "through booking facility" was possible only at Hyderabad and Secunderabad stations . Had to go the main Hyderabad station where it was done without fuss but again they may have specifc counters , hence please check first at the enquiry
Old 4th May 2015, 15:09   #704
Senior - BHPian

I just booked a ticket from DG to KPD and found this status when I started booked and when I finished booking.
The status when I started was PQWL/AVAILABLE and this is the status after I completed the booking:Name:  irctc.PNG
Views: 657
Size:  6.2 KB

So is my ticket waitlisted or confirmed?
Old 4th May 2015, 15:15   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
So is my ticket waitlisted or confirmed?
Your current status is CNF which means Confirmed. You will be allocated a seat/berth at the time of charting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks