Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2015, 15:03   #721
BHPian

"Through Coaches"

Long back IR used to have "Through Coaches" where by a few coaches were attached to one train/ then detached and reacttached to another train at a junction enroute. Do they still exist???? Is there a list of such coaches available?

I remember in the 1980s and 1990s travelling from Trivandrum to Coimbatore overnight in one such "through coach". This was attached to the Trivandrum Mangalore Malabar Express leaving in the evening and got detached at Shoranur Junction in the early hours of the morning and got reattached to the Mangalore Chennai "West Coast" Express. You need not have to leave the coach and it was one through ticket.

I remember there were similar attangements for Trivandrum Hyderabad before Sabari Express was introduced and even a "through coach" from Mangalore to Mumbai before Konkan Railway was commissioned. In the latter instance, since the interchange was at Shoranur again, I think mostly people from Calicut and further south used it than people from Kasargod or Mangalore who preferred buses.

Any updated information is appreciated.
Old 30th May 2015, 16:37   #722
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Through Coaches"

http://www.irfca.org/faq/faq-ops.html has some fairly up to date information. And irfca is like tbhp for rail fans so you might ask there if you want more.
Old 30th May 2015, 17:52   #723
Senior - BHPian

Re: "Through Coaches"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMCE View Post
Long back IR used to have "Through Coaches" where by a few coaches were attached to one train/ then detached and reacttached to another train at a junction enroute. Do they still exist?
Through and sectional coach services have been discontinued for more than a decade now.
Old 31st May 2015, 10:57   #724
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Thank you hserus and binand.

Binand - I believe a variation exists still in a different form . From Trivandrum Central there are two "daily" trains departing in the late evening , 16349 Rajya Rani Express between Trivandrum Central and Nilambur Road and 16343 Amritha Express which runs between Trivandrum Central and Palakkad Town. Effectively this is one train for most of the way till Shoranur Junction but the trains are listed separately in the IR reservation system and for joruneys let us say between Trivandrum and Shoranur or Trivandrum and Trichur you may end up with aa Wait List ticket on Rajya Rani express but if you chose to book Amritha Express you will end up with a confirmed ticket. In the end you will be boarding the same train for all practical purposes anyway.
Old 31st May 2015, 11:15   #725
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Binand - I believe a variation exists still in a different form . From Trivandrum Central there are two "daily" trains departing in the late evening , 16349 Rajya Rani Express between Trivandrum Central and Nilambur Road and 16343 Amritha Express which runs between Trivandrum Central and Palakkad Town.
Clubbing multiple trains going the same way for part of the journey for operational and cost reasons is a practice that is still followed.

Similarly a given train could have multiple destinations; like the Aleppey-Dhanbad express (part of whose destination is Tatanagar; the train splits at Rourkela). In the early nineties (pre-Konkan) the Netravati Express would reach Shornur via Pune-Wadi-KR Puram and then split into two; the front half goes to Cochin and the rear, to Mangalore.

These are different arrangements from through carriage service.
Old 31st May 2015, 14:49   #726
BHPian

Binand

The difference I can see between Alleppey Dhanbad Express and the Amritha/Rajya Rani express is this. Please note I refer to www.indianrail.gov.in for train availability positions. In the case of Dhanbad Express whether you book from Alleppey to Tatanagar or Dhanbad or intermediate stations such as Rourkela or Chennai you have the same train number 13352 Dhanbad Express listed and not two train numbers/names. This is not the case for Amritha/Rajya Rani if you book to intermediate stations like Trichur or even Shoranur where the train bifurcates. You have two different train numbers and two sets of availability positions if you try to book sleeper class depending on the train you choose and there is no clear indication (unlike in the case of Dhanbad express) that this basically is just one train all the way upto Shoranur.

All I can think of as the reason for dual numbering is because of a possible limitation of the Indian Railways booking computer. While one set of Sleeper coaches goes to Nilambur Road as part of the Rajya Rani Express and another set goes to Palakkad Town as part of Amritha Express, the AC II tier coach is only for Palakkad Town and the AC III tier coach only for Nilambur Road. I assume Indian Railways computer system cannot handle this complexity with one single train number.

Anyway for the unititated this is all highly confusing. Incidentally Amritha Express is the much older train. The Rajya Rani Express was introduced much later.

Last edited by TKMCE : 31st May 2015 at 14:52.
Old 31st May 2015, 17:59   #727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The difference I can see between Alleppey Dhanbad Express and the Amritha/Rajya Rani express is this.
I did not say they are the same thing. They are two different situations where the set of coaches that begin the journey at the origin station and the set that arrives at the destination station are different. Presence of through coaches is a third such situation.
Old 9th June 2015, 18:10   #728
BHPian

Guys I missed my train Duronto from Ypr last week.
Had 2 cnf ac 3 tier tickets.
Immidiately I filed for TDR under "Passenger not travelled."

Now can anyone tell me is there any chance of getting any percentage of the ticket amount?

Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 09:01   #729
Team-BHP Support

Amendments in the tatkal system w.e.f. 15 June 2015:

Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains-notification.png

IRCTC

10 AM - Tatkal timing for AC bookings commence.

11 AM - Tatkal timing for non-AC bookings commence.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 12th June 2015 at 13:32.
Old 12th June 2015, 13:57   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Guys I missed my train Duronto from Ypr last week.
Had 2 cnf ac 3 tier tickets.
Immidiately I filed for TDR under "Passenger not travelled."

Now can anyone tell me is there any chance of getting any percentage of the ticket amount?

Thanks
You will get about 50% of the fare if it was NOT a tatkal ticket. Refund will take some time.
I have gone through this on a few occasions due to late running of incoming train and have got my refund on all occasions.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:06   #731
Senior - BHPian

Attached are two Sleeper tickets purchased on 2 consecutive days (10th & 11th June 2015) for travel from Trivandrum to Kollam. While the first one cost Rs.95, the second one was Rs.150 (costlier by 50%). I could not make out why this difference for similar tickets - anyone has an idea why the different charge ?
Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains-20150622_230229.jpg
Old 3rd July 2015, 13:06   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Attached are two Sleeper tickets purchased on 2 consecutive days (10th & 11th June 2015) for travel from Trivandrum to Kollam. While the first one cost Rs.95, the second one was Rs.150 (costlier by 50%). I could not make out why this difference for similar tickets - anyone has an idea why the different charge ?
The second one is a Super Fast train, and there's a Super Fast surcharge that gets added. Had you bought a SL ticket in a normal train (say, Island Express) and it so happened that it got delayed and a Super Fast train (like KK) would arrive first, then you can go to the counter and pay the surcharge alone to upgrade to a Super Fast SL ticket.
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:14   #733
Senior - BHPian

Both were for the same superfast train (TVM - Chennai Mail) & both tickets have Superfast mentioned on them - have marked it with a circle. The only difference I see is that the cheaper ticket has "SL UR" mentioned on it, while the costlier one has just "SL" written. Not sure if this means that the costlier one is a Reserved Sleeper (is there something like this?) where they assign you a specific berth/seat and thus the extra cost. As opposed to a "SL UR" where there is no berth assigned specifically for you.
Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains-20150622_230229.jpg

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 3rd July 2015 at 15:15.
Old 3rd July 2015, 18:32   #734
Senior - BHPian

SL UR = "free seating" in sleeper class on short haul routes of indian railways - mostly in kerala intercity shuttles. You sit in the first vacant seat that you see in a sleeper coach. Same as sitting in unreserved but the seats are padded.

http://indianrailways.informe.com/fo...dt75-1275.html
Old 5th July 2015, 15:59   #735
BHPian

supremeBaleno

SLUR - The Rs 95 Tickets - on 12624 are for the "De reserved" coaches. Chennai Mail (12624) has a couple of them between Trivandrum and Ernakulam (S10,S11). The full list or Southern Railway is here. In the De reserved coach there is no "minimum fare" applicable.

http://www.sr.indianrailways.gov.in/...of-coaches.pdf

Your SL (Rs 150) ticket is valid for other sleeper coaches on the train. A TTE should allot you a vacant seat (As you may be aware only about 20 to 30 % of the long distance overnight pssengers board this train in Trivandrum anyway) and will allot you a seat number and also charge an additional Rs 20 for the Reservation charges. There is a minimum "distance" charge applicable for travel on such coaches . Passengers from Trivandrum to Varkala, Kollam and all the way upto Kottayam on 12624 will pay the same 150 + 20 charge.

This news has been widely publcised in the Kerala newspapers a couple of months back. On a personal note, I welcome this move. I have seen sleeper coaches of trains like the Trivandrum Kurla 16346 (Nethravathi Express) being more crowded than Mumbai locals at places like Trichur and hopefully this move will bring some relief to those unfortuante passengers who have to travel in sleeper coaches all the way from say Trivandrum or Kollam to Mumbai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks