Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 11:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Mod: - Please change the subject the head of this trend. As every one is positive for IRCTC.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:57   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
I have been using this site extensively and have rarely faced any problems... Remember that this site can be used all across India and only a small portion of that population has internet access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
I have been using IRCTC site since long and quite often, overall its quite good...
Same here; ever since I got introduced to the site 2 years back, I have never got a ticket done from a counter. Always online. Even when my family was travelling or my parents wanted to travel somewhere, I always book it online and specify the relevant delivery address. And as long as I book before 18:00, I get the tickets delivered the next day before 16:00 hrs. The only exception was when it got delivered the second day morning.

I have also done quite a number of cancellation and have always got the refund without any follow up or calls or mails.

One of the best site and taking into consideration the volume, WOW, this is really something! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
... As I said before, we weren't aware of the rules surrounding RAC, so she boarded the train (TTE said she was allowed to board the train) and got to know only later that berth will have to be shared...
Nishant,

Suggest that you first get a hold of the rules that are applicable during travel. RAC (Reservation Against Cancellation) is an arrangement for the person to at least travel to their destination instead of getting stranded at the start point. And RAC's are always the side berth sharing, meaning, two people can sit. If a normal berth is available, both these RAC passengers are given the berth.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 9th December 2008 at 13:00. Reason: rac expanded
Old 9th December 2008, 12:59   #78
Senior - BHPian

In the last 16 months, I have booked around 110 tickets via IRCTC, which translates to around 7 tickets a month, since I travel for all-but-one weekend in a month. Many months I would hit the "10 transactions limit per month per account" limit, and would have to use my wife's account to book tickets.

While I did come across a few instances where communication failures screwed up the transaction, overall it has been a good experience. Even though the "Back" and "Refresh" buttons are not supposed to work, in some of the "comm failure" cases, I was able to use them and get the transaction to complete.

My grouses are :

1) Why keep a limit of 10 bookings per month, when there is no such limit for those that book at the counter ? In any case, I am not getting the tickets for free - am paying via my bank a/c, so what is the risk to IRCTC due to me booking more than 10 tickets a month ?

2) Why make it necessary for me to carry an ID while travelling, when there is no such requirement for people who book over the counter ?

3) When I am using my PC+net connection + paper to print the e-ticket, why should I pay the IRCTC a charge for each ticket booked ? Should they not be actually giving me a discount, since they save on manpower, stationary etc ?
Old 9th December 2008, 13:27   #79
BHPian

Good Service

I have been using this twice a month on an average, and found it very useful, esp when we can get away from the long queues and from your desk.

@SB, They have now done away with entering the ID which you need to carry, and any of the std ID listed could be used during travel. This is the same as airlines where the security checks it on entry and at the counter (though the list of IDs is more and they just insist on a photo Id). Given the ingenuity of our guys, we need to have some way of identifying the person travelling.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th December 2008 at 14:27. Reason: Removed Size & font tags
Old 9th December 2008, 13:32   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
I have been using IRCTC site since long and quite often, overall its quite good. But only a few times it gets very irritating, especially i observed on the weekends.
Why don't you try cleartrip.com for booking rail tickets?

The website is fast, with a nice UI, and serves the purpose well.
Old 9th December 2008, 13:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
1) Why keep a limit of 10 bookings per month, when there is no such limit for those that book at the counter ? In any case, I am not getting the tickets for free - am paying via my bank a/c, so what is the risk to IRCTC due to me booking more than 10 tickets a month ?

3) When I am using my PC+net connection + paper to print the e-ticket, why should I pay the IRCTC a charge for each ticket booked ? Should they not be actually giving me a discount, since they save on manpower, stationary etc ?
1) I guess to avoid travel agents making bulk bookings and hence making profits

3) I couldn;t agree more. I too hate the extra charges (2.5% of credit card+RS 25 levied by IRCTC as service charge)
Old 9th December 2008, 14:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi
I couldn;t agree more. I too hate the extra charges (2.5% of credit card+RS 25 levied by IRCTC as service charge)
Well, you can avoid the 2.5% charged for credit card booking by charging your bank a/c instead - using NetBanking. For some banks it is fully free - like in my case with ABN-AMRO Bank.
Old 9th December 2008, 14:33   #83
BHPian

hello

hello guys

just log on to Book Hotels and Flights both Indian & International. Also book Trains from Indian Railways | Cleartrip.com ,they have a tie-up with irctc.co.in but beleive me it is 1000 times faster than irctc in booking or checking the tickets and the cost what you have to pay is all the same what we use to pay to irctc.
time taken by you to just log on to irctc web portal is equivalent to the time taken by you for a booking a ticket in Book Hotels and Flights both Indian & International. Also book Trains from Indian Railways | Cleartrip.com
plus that are added features like if you are checking avaiblity for some date you can see for next six days status at one glance.
In short a very good poratl for online ticket bookers
Old 9th December 2008, 16:20   #84
BHPian

My overall experience has been very good with irctc.co.in. Few days back I booked tickets for my parents, which were wait listed. Unfortunately waiting list did not move and they had to go in unreserved coach. When I checked with in the ticketing counter, I was told the money will automatically come into my account since the tickets were in wait listed status at the time of journey. I assumed I need to follow-up for getting my refund and it will take weeks / months to get my money BUT to my pleasant surprise, the money was refuned in a week's time.

Like other were saying, the communication failure is the only issue.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:35   #85
BHPian

Mods: Will it be possible to change the title? All of the posters except the thread starter has good things to say about irctc.
Old 9th December 2008, 16:46   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiyags22 View Post
My overall experience has been very good with irctc.co.in. Few days back I booked tickets for my parents, which were wait listed. Unfortunately waiting list did not move and they had to go in unreserved coach. When I checked with in the ticketing counter, I was told the money will automatically come into my account since the tickets were in wait listed status at the time of journey. I assumed I need to follow-up for getting my refund and it will take weeks / months to get my money BUT to my pleasant surprise, the money was refuned in a week's time.

Like other were saying, the communication failure is the only issue.
I agree knowing well that its government run website, it is simply fabulous and works most of the time except during those communication failures which are rare.

Also, lets keep in mind the amount of hits it may be getting and considering that it is 3 cheers to Indian Railways
Old 9th December 2008, 17:52   #87
BHPian

You can also try Indian Railways & IRCTC trains reservations | Cleartrip. Slick and fassssssssst. Extremely fast I would say. Though it would make the ticket costlier by a few bucks (maybe around 20-30 Rs. for a 2-3K ticket).
Old 9th December 2008, 18:12   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins View Post
the cost what you have to pay is all the same what we use to pay to irctc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
costlier by a few bucks (maybe around 20-30 Rs. for a 2-3K ticket).
This statement is contradicting with each other. Please inform which is correct.

Last edited by rjvora_2000 : 9th December 2008 at 18:13.
Old 10th December 2008, 08:19   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
This statement is contradicting with each other. Please inform which is correct.
Cleartrip would charge a service fee of Rs. 20 per ticket and taxes over that 20 Rs. as well. Plus I guess the transaction charges are more for cleartrip. On IRCTC, the transaction charges are shown in the credit card statement and in case clear trip it is shown upfront. Maybe it differs from credit card to credit card but I have found clear trip transaction charges to be on the higher side. That should be around 20 -30 Rs. for 2-3K transaction. If you try to book a ticket through cleartrip it would show you the cost breakage when you click book, which is available after you check availability.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:42   #90
BHPian

IRCTC has one of the highest visitors in the country today...the lapses and defaults are because of this...This is the only reason they are giving their API's out to online travel agents (OTA's) in India...

OTA's work on a flat commission on Rs10/- on non ac tickets and Rs20/- on ac tickets from IRCTC. No exceptions..

To save time and a better UI, I would personally book on Cleartrip.com

IRCTC also launched its Hotel site on Friday, 5th December.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks