Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 10:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

@ThreadStarter: IRCTC site is not hopeless. Its a boon to the rail traveller in india. Can you imagine how many transactions it does in a day?

I've been using this site for years now, booked hundreds of tickets with this, faced an issue only once. (Print e-ticket link did not work, but I copied the details of the ticket to an old e-ticket which was saved as a word doc, and took a printout)
Old 10th December 2008, 11:04   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
Cleartrip would charge a service fee of Rs. 20 per ticket and taxes over that 20 Rs. as well. Plus I guess the transaction charges are more for cleartrip. On IRCTC, the transaction charges are shown in the credit card statement and in case clear trip it is shown upfront. Maybe it differs from credit card to credit card but I have found clear trip transaction charges to be on the higher side. That should be around 20 -30 Rs. for 2-3K transaction. If you try to book a ticket through cleartrip it would show you the cost breakage when you click book, which is available after you check availability.
Ok. This means that Irctc we use it for less charges and for Cleartrip we will have to spend more.

Thank you very much for this information.
Old 11th December 2008, 19:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for OT, but I see lots of expert here so

SHIV GANGA EXP, ND - Varanasi , 19- Dec- 2008 WL 19/WL 14

What are the chances of it getting confirmed from Wait List by 19th ?
Old 11th December 2008, 19:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Which class? Sleeper /3rd /2nd AC ?
Old 11th December 2008, 19:06   #95
Senior - BHPian

AC 2 tier Sleeper 2A

Sorry I missed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Sorry for OT, but I see lots of expert here so

SHIV GANGA EXP, ND - Varanasi , 19- Dec- 2008 WL 19/WL 14

What are the chances of it getting confirmed from Wait List by 19th ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Which class? Sleeper /3rd /2nd AC ?
Old 11th December 2008, 23:45   #96
jat
BHPian

Regarding query by rkbharat : 50:50. It all depends on the date you have booked and number of seats available in emergency quota and also cancellation. Cancellation rate is high during holiday travels.

For people advocating cleartrip.com : AFAIK, IRCTC has exclusive right on e-tkts and i-tkts. Cleartrip.com has to book through them only. Please check their website.

I have been using the IRCTC right from inception. Initially it was used on trial basis and was just competetive to the travel agents. They didn't have e-tkts. Only i-tkts and the delivery wasn't in all the cities. And they required about time (dependant on PIN code) for delivery of tickets.

The limit of transaction has come from that time to prevent misuse or fraud by booking agents (in metros) as was quite prevalent at the time when it was started

Today it has grown into a huge network. It will definitely be one of the largest if not largest. And it is quite complex, because the tickets are booked on first come first serve basis. And the booking is confirmed only when the payment is completed. If anybody has worked with databases records, they will know about the records being locked and unlocked. Imagine that being done just for a fraction of second and it has to select among cities more than 1000 km apart over network.

They do have the preference of lower berths for senior citizens, I belief. Whenever we have booked for our parents, we get the lower berths by default for them, but for us, even when we try to select lower berths, we don't get it.

It has some inherent problems, like they do have the standard quota and if you want to go beyond that, then you have to go the counter. Also due to change in sitting arrangements in coach which has not been standardised, you are going to face problems while booking. For example at the time of booking, your coach was 64 seater but has been converted to 72 seater before departure. And this database upgrade is quite slow on their site.

Also, there is a special VIP quota, which was released 24 hrs before train departure (I don't know now - we used that quota under special condition to book our tickets while travelling during college holidays)

Overall, my own experience has been good, if not excellent.

I also faced some comm errors. I found a solution by adjusting MTU units quite low. It is working ok since then (This may be wrong, so please don't come after me with a stick if it doesn't work. hehehe)
Old 12th December 2008, 11:36   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
AC 2 tier Sleeper 2A...
With just 7 days to go, you will most probably end up being close but not close enough to get a travel status.

Cancellations in 2 ties AC is not too many, hence reducing your chances!

If this was 3 tier A/c or 2 tier sleeper, it will be certainly be confirmed.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:09   #98
BHPian

What happens to the amount you pay if you dont get a ticket under the waitlist category?
Old 12th December 2008, 13:15   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
What happens to the amount you pay if you dont get a ticket under the waitlist category?
It gets refunded back to your account in ~3 working days. No follow up or anything required.
Old 18th December 2008, 08:03   #100
BHPian

IRCTC is down again.WHat can we do ? Cleartrip also down...
Old 18th December 2008, 08:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
IRCTC is down again.WHat can we do ? Cleartrip also down...
Wait for a hour or two and then retry.
Old 18th December 2008, 09:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian
IRCTC is down again.WHat can we do ?
When was IRCTC down ? At exactly 8AM today, I booked a Tatkal ticket for 23-Dec to go home for Xmas. Got the ticket without any issues.
Old 18th December 2008, 09:10   #103
Senior - BHPian

I get a database error on TBHP when trying to post here - on this thread!
Old 18th December 2008, 10:36   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
I get a database error on TBHP when trying to post here - on this thread!
( Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation to ask this!)

Ok; then how did you make this post?

EDIT: Ok, me too got the same thing. But the post did go thru.

Last edited by HappyWheels : 18th December 2008 at 10:41.
Old 14th April 2009, 11:32   #105
BHPian

I had booked a Bangalore Chennai Ticket last week on IRCTC on Wait list 18 now its come to wait list 1. I travel tomorrow at 6 am if its confirmed. Any way i can get to know my chances of getting the ticket confirmed? Please Help.

I called 139 and other IRCTC numbers, they can just give the status. I want to know is there anything else i need to do other than wait for the confirmation from IRCTC or go ahead and try to book a bus now?

Most Viewed