Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2010, 08:38   #181
BHPian

Guys even i had the same issue with IRCTC, but now a days i am booking my train tickets using makemytrip.com for a extra 20 rs per ticket, and its lots faster than IRCTC and booking screens are more friendlier than IRCTC.
Old 16th November 2010, 08:43   #182
Senior - BHPian

Before opting for Tatkal I ventured with a couple of ticketing agents who said they would charge Rs 150/- per ticket (excluding the tatkal charges) and confirmed tickets would be guaranteed. Upon further probing I found that these guys also log into IRCTC with their personal ids (& not agent login) but then how do they manage then?.

Also found that the no ticketing agent (I mean authorized ones) are allowed to login IRCTC in the first one hour of tatkal opening more sepcifically during the peak rush period like festivals.

I smell a dead rat here.
Old 16th November 2010, 14:24   #183
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
Guys even i had the same issue with IRCTC, but now a days i am booking my train tickets using makemytrip.com for a extra 20 rs per ticket, and its lots faster than IRCTC and booking screens are more friendlier than IRCTC.
Just tried IRCTC and as usual it take ages to get through . for the first time i tried through cleartrip.com and got through with ease

Last edited by wildon : 16th November 2010 at 14:31. Reason: correct site name given
Old 16th November 2010, 14:36   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
One tip to book tatkal.
Before you attempt , keep the Station short codes ready. Eg SBC for Bangalore city. etc..
this kind of speeds up the process to a certain extent at least.
Also, Keep train no. ready and use "Quick Book". Saves one more step.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:05   #185
BHPian

Most of the time site performance is good, exceptions are morning hours (when Tatka window opens) and afternoon's.
Generally, I use different browsers (apart from IE) at same instant when I need to book Tatkal tickets, some how one or the other browser gets me thru reservations.

Cheers !!!
Old 1st December 2010, 17:56   #186
BANNED

All of a sudden online payments from accounts in State Bank group / associate banks has disappeared.

Am I the only person facing this issue?
Old 1st December 2010, 22:56   #187
BANNED

Since I cannot wait till State Bank group sites get back into favour with irctc, I used an online travel agent to book my ticket. I used my State Bank Account to make the payment without any fuss.

Now I know why the list of banks from whom online payment is accepted by irctc has shrunk.

I also now realise that IRCTC can actually save money on bandwidth if it cuts down on the bandwidth hogging ads on their site. I zap those pesky ads anyway.

Shame on you, IRTC!!!!
Old 2nd December 2010, 10:38   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
All of a sudden online payments from accounts in State Bank group / associate banks has disappeared.

Am I the only person facing this issue?
I too observed that online transactions of SBI and associate banks get suspended on the first of every month. This apllies not only to IRCTC but to all online transactions including accessing your account.

The status quo might have been restored by now.

Murthy
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:05   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
I too observed that online transactions of SBI and associate banks get suspended on the first of every month. This apllies not only to IRCTC but to all online transactions including accessing your account.

The status quo might have been restored by now.
Well, yes, today morning, SBI associates are back on that list. In which case, SBI group is acting irresponsibly, or there is some small print somewhere which I have noticed.

BTW, nice avtar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Shame on you, IRTC!!!!
Will have to postpone the condemnation till next month, when I will recheck if this is true.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:17   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Site slow ?

Today's speed/ response from IRCTC website has been the worst I have noticed.

Has any one else experienced this ?

Hope it is because of holiday bookings, and not due to changes to the website itself.
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:52   #191
BANNED

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

condor, no problems here - I am reprinting couple of tickets for tomorrow. Guess it is a function of traffic, and not site design.
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:17   #192
BHPian

Re: Site slow ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Today's speed/ response from IRCTC website has been the worst I have noticed.

Has any one else experienced this ?

Hope it is because of holiday bookings, and not due to changes to the website itself.
Today the booking response was very very slow and i came across one odd thing.

Usually when i do tatkal booking , for the options ( to book the ticket only all passengers are alloted in same coach ) I will ensure that NONE is selected. Today did the same, went to netbanking payment options and suddenly a popup window mentioned that i have selected the other options so the ticket is not booked.

so started the whole process again for the next 25 minutes ( service unavailable , service unavailable ) and ended up with Waiting List

Last edited by Seagull76 : 23rd December 2010 at 19:18.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I have BSNL broadband at home and also Reliance Netconnect. But when I need to book Tatkal, I do it only from office - link is much more quicker and reliable - and I have almost always got the tickets.
Last Monday I needed to book a Tatkal ticket to Chennai for travel on Wednesday. Problem was I am at Kerala and cannot book from office. BSNL @ Kerala is very erratic and I am worried if I would be able to get tickets.

Login at 7:55AM - no issues.
Close to 7:59 - see a little sluggishness.
8:00AM - Enter details in QuickBook and directed to netbanking for payment
8:03 - Back to IRCTC - successfully got ticket.

8:05 - BSNL connection gets cut. Phew, that was close.

So, IRCTC is not that bad after all.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:43   #194
BHPian

Can WL passengers share seat with Confirmed Passengers

Hi

A pretty tricky situation in here for me. Clarifications required.

My wife and daughter are travelling on confirmed tickets. Suddenly, my Sis-in-law wants to join them in travel. When I book the ticket for her, she's on waiting list. Can she board the train and share the berth with my daughter, since all of them are going to the same place. Since the travel originating station is in midnight, I just want to confirm the same.

Your thoughts are highly appreciated.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:50   #195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Can WL passengers share seat with Confirmed Passengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Can she board the train and share the berth with my daughter, since all of them are going to the same place. Since the travel originating station is in midnight, I just want to confirm the same.
There will be no issue but depends upon class of travel.

Most Viewed