Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2013, 11:18   #421
Senior - BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
On the other hand, As SupremeBaleno said, the first WL number is a running serial number, so if there booking had gone to waiting list and due to cancellations
-Ravi
The tube light in me glows a little late. So actually the 1st ticket is a WL14/confirmed and the 2nd WL15?
Old 6th March 2013, 12:07   #422
Oxy
BHPian

re: Indian Railways website (www.irctc.co.in) EDIT: IR resumes linen supply in select trains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Surprising.
If you have booked during tatkal booking and the train doesn't have an RAC (like only seating class with no berths for a day train), then this can possibly happen but very unlikely scenario.

On the other hand, As SupremeBaleno said, the first WL number is a running serial number, so if there booking had gone to waiting list and due to cancellations, there could be one seat back in available state, and the 2nd ticket got into WL running number 15. The 2nd number actually indicates the current status of WL.

-Ravi
I still don't get it.

This was not a tatkal booking. And I booked in two tier AC class, so the train clearly has berths.

What SupremeBaleno said is common knowledge, most people know how the WL concept works. What I don't get is, how does the second ticket on the same PNR become WL-15 when the first ticket is confirmed? The original status on 2A class for that train was AVAILABLE-001 on that day when I booked. According to me, it should either be RAC-1 or WL-1, not WL-15. The exact status shown on my second ticket is WL-22/WL-15. How can this happen?

Last edited by Oxy : 6th March 2013 at 12:08.
Old 6th March 2013, 12:32   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

What I don't get is, how does the second ticket on the same PNR become WL-15 when the first ticket is confirmed? ...How can this happen?
I think this could be due to "quota" system - e.g. rail official/ minister on duty
They could have got the preference over your second passenger !
Old 6th March 2013, 13:21   #424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
What SupremeBaleno said is common knowledge, most people know how the WL concept works. What I don't get is, how does the second ticket on the same PNR become WL-15 when the first ticket is confirmed? The original status on 2A class for that train was AVAILABLE-001 on that day when I booked. According to me, it should either be RAC-1 or WL-1, not WL-15. The exact status shown on my second ticket is WL-22/WL-15. How can this happen?
Were both the persons booked on same quota? I hope one of them was not a Senior Citizen?
Old 6th March 2013, 14:40   #425
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Were both the persons booked on same quota? I hope one of them was not a Senior Citizen?
Yes, tickets were for me and my wife. Same quota (General). Neither of us are senior citizens.
Old 7th March 2013, 10:12   #426
Senior - BHPian

Booked a Tatkal ticket today. Started the process at 10AM sharp and had the ticked booked by 10:08AM. No issues at any step of the process, though some pages took a bit longer to load.
This must be my best time ever for Tatkal booking.
Old 7th March 2013, 18:16   #427
BHPian

Nice! What Browser did you use while booking the tickets?

Thanks,
Varun
Old 7th March 2013, 19:40   #428
Senior - BHPian

^^^Chrome. This was from the office network.
Old 29th March 2013, 16:25   #429
BHPian

IRCTC eyes e-commerce space; plans to sell books, mobile phones - http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...?homepage=true

Quote:
From food and online tickets at present, to books, footwear and mobile phones in future – the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) plans to spread its wings far and wide.
I hope that they realize that the monopolistic arrogance throws them out in e-commerce where there is competition. If they learn their lessons, I hope that they apply the learning into railway ticket bookings as well (no service charges, no extra charges for card payments, etc).
Old 29th March 2013, 22:29   #430
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Booked 3 different tickets on IRCTC.
2 bookings went smoothly.
With the 3rd had to start all over again and fill in the payment details once more.Just took 2 minutes extra.
Seems IRCTC has improved.
Regards.
Old 10th April 2013, 15:13   #431
Senior - BHPian

This is offtopic so moderators please delete this post if you find this irrelevant.

In electrified tracks, there is a DC line overhead(1.5kV, google says). In case of an accident where bogies pile up, this can make things worse, right?

Or is some sort of protection mechanism employed?
Old 11th April 2013, 09:33   #432
BHPian

Booked a general RAC ticket. On the day of travel, checked the status and it was confirmed. Made a note of the coach and berth. 1 hour before my travel, received a SMS from IRCTC stating the final status of my PNR, which included my coach and berth details. This is the first time I am receiving something of that sort. Way to go IRCTC.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:59   #433
BHPian

Booking tatkal tickets is becoming impossible. I wanted to book tickets in Tatkal and have been trying their website from 10.00 AM (actually keep logged in 30 mins before that) for the past five days and I just could not book it. At exactly 10.00 AM the problem starts ... page do not load, connection closes, it simply shows connecting on top and never connects. It is really ridiculous. Then finally my BIL got an agent and lo!! he could book it within one day.
I do expect the rush for tickets, but at least the site should allow us to login to the site and attempt a booking. I can understand if the tickets fly off within a few minutes, but really speaking the general public do not have a fair chance to book. Is the site again captured by the agents? Do the railways themselves keep it closed for out of turn bookings? In some site I read that people from Delhi have better chance of booking tatkal as irctc webserver is in Delhi. Utter nonsense if this true. When is this system going to improve?

Now, having vented my ire on the tatkal system... I think all our trains should do away with the advanced reservation system. This archaic system has been going on for several decades now. All trains should open for advanced reservation only three days before. In this age when people have to travel at last minute, this is the only way to improve services. This way, even railways can make more money as last minute cancellations will be avoided. They should also have seasonal price changes like the airlines do. Why have this low cost single price system?

Well, all this and of course better services also in the coaches. I don't want to go to the coach design etc. for now.
Old 26th May 2013, 15:05   #434
BHPian

Can anybody suggest a good Android app for IRCTC? There are many in play store. Any tried, tested and recommended app?
Old 26th May 2013, 16:01   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Can anybody suggest a good Android app for IRCTC? There are many in play store. Any tried, tested and recommended app?
I use, indianrail, Awesome app. After trying and testing various apps, settled for this one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks