Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2016, 18:33   #781
Senior - BHPian

Re: Online Tatkal Timings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
What is the timings for non-ac tatkal bookings?

As i know it starts from 11AM of previous day of journey.
But until when? Is it a one hour window?

Also, on IRCTC the ID field is grayed out and am NOT able to key in the ID information. Am i missing something here or is there a way to provide this information?
AFAIK, you can book tatkal starting 11 am previous day till the chart is prepared.

I think the ID system is not expected at the time of booking, but you should carry original ID proof while travelling.

-Ravi
Old 27th April 2016, 12:33   #782
BHPian

Re: How to tips/tricks to secure seat in tatkal?

Are there any tips/tricks to get some confirmed tatkal tickets?

Today, I tried for Mumbai - M'lore section. I saw around 56 seats, while transfer to the bank website. On payment and back to IRCTC site, got the message ' transaction declined. no seats available'.

I have all the passengers on the master list. I have the preferred bank for payment, listed in the site.

I need to try this again tomorrow. What else one needs to do?
Please advise.

Old 27th April 2016, 12:54   #783
BHPian

Quote:
I need to try this again tomorrow. What else one needs to do?
Please advise.
The only time I was able to book Tatkal tickets was by using a Chrome extension, IRCTC Tatkal Autofill. That was a long time ago, so please check similar extensions instead of going by my word.

Otherwise there is NIL chance of getting Tatkal tickets on popular routes as I quickly learnt.

With the extension, you can set up everything in advance and only enter in the three Capcha codes which itself is a daunting task. You also need to shorten the time taken for payment. I figured some banking websites like IDBI are too slow to buy Tatkal tickets. If you can eliminate the OTP altogether, you have a better chance.

The stress from the one time I booked Tatkal tickets was enough for me not to do it again.
Old 28th April 2016, 11:25   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
The only time I was able to book Tatkal tickets was by using a Chrome extension, IRCTC Tatkal Autofill.

Otherwise there is NIL chance of getting Tatkal tickets on popular routes as I quickly learnt.

With the extension, you can set up everything in advance and only enter in the three Capcha codes which itself is a daunting task. You also need to shorten the time taken for payment. I figured some banking websites like IDBI are too slow to buy Tatkal tickets. If you can eliminate the OTP altogether, you have a better chance.

The stress from the one time I booked Tatkal tickets was enough for me not to do it again.
So true! I failed again, even with that chrome extension. I don't know, what else one needs to do. It is nerve-racking to say the least. But the prime culprit here is the banking/payment website. ICICI is pathetic. It doesn't launch, comes out with the error 'This site can’t be reached' and 'shopping.icicibank.com took too long to respond.' By the time we try again, the seats are gone.
Old 28th April 2016, 12:15   #785
BHPian

Quote:
So true! I failed again, even with that chrome extension. I don't know, what else one needs to do. It is nerve-racking to say the least. But the prime culprit here is the banking/payment website. ICICI is pathetic. It doesn't launch, comes out with the error 'This site can’t be reached' and 'shopping.icicibank.com took too long to respond.' By the time we try again, the seats are gone.
As I warned yesterday, you need to shorten the payment time to be successful. Since you used the extension and hopefully you logged in on time and didn't spend too much time on the capchas, it can only mean that your payment took too long.

My experience with IDBI taught me that the website goes through multiple pages and strangely the website gets even more slower than it usually is during the Tatkal window (or perhaps that may be my perception). Even with regular tickets, IRCTC would time-out when using IDBI. Axis makes you press a button on a pop-up to take you back the merchant's website which is infuriating. You need to be absolutely certain that your banking or credit card website has at most one or two pages of validation.

You may have to preload one of the IRCTC wallets to shorten the payment time. Or use a Mastercard secure password like I did which with the right payment gateway requires only a single page for authentication and no waiting for OTP.

After my previous post, I remembered that I did book Tatkal a couple of weeks ago for a family emergency to send a relative across. Tatkal was available on the same-day train in the afternoon, but my hands were trembling during the booking remembering my previous experience. Tatkal is of no use if it is nothing more than a lucky-dip and requires so much preparation to get a ticket.
Old 29th April 2016, 08:54   #786
BHPian

Quote:
As I warned yesterday, you need to shorten the payment time to be successful. Since you used the extension and hopefully you logged in on time and didn't spend too much time on the capchas, it can only mean that your payment took too long.

Or use a Mastercard secure password like I did which with the right payment gateway requires only a single page for authentication and no waiting for OTP.
Would payment by debit card option require OTP? I have to do this payment via ICICI Bank, so the options are netbanking or debit card payment. Netbanking is slow and requires OTP. I also have Pockets account with ICICI Bank, and they say it can be used as credit card.

As I have NOT tried with these options, I don't know what's in store for me. Anyone with debit card/credit card payments done for tatkal in IRCTC can help me out.

Last edited by JMaruru : 29th April 2016 at 09:02.
Old 29th April 2016, 09:54   #787
BHPian

Quote:
Would payment by debit card option require OTP? I have to do this payment via ICICI Bank, so the options are netbanking or debit card payment. Netbanking is slow and requires OTP. I also have Pockets account with ICICI Bank, and they say it can be used as credit card.
Booking tatkal once does not make me an expert. There is tons of information on the web as I found out last time and I would encourage you to go through those if you still want to persist down this path.

AFAIK all debit/credit cards in India require an OTP unless you have a MasterCard Secure Password which works only on MasterCard. I had also experimented to find out which payment gateway works fastest and requires minimal number of pages by visiting each of them.

Looking at your options, I think one of the IRCTC wallets is your best bet but I have never used them, so I can't be sure.
Old 29th April 2016, 10:37   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK all debit/credit cards in India require an OTP ...
This is not true.

Anyway, for IRCTC, one time-saving option is to use a payment instrument that is issued by the payment processor used by IRCTC. So, if you are using an HDFC Bank card, then use the HDFC Bank gateway. This reduces a few web redirections thereby speeding up the process a bit.

I use cards with no SMS/OTP requirement - which is basically my Citibank card. Since IRCTC has a Citibank gateway, it works well for me.
Old 29th April 2016, 10:42   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I use cards with no SMS/OTP requirement - which is basically my Citibank card. Since IRCTC has a Citibank gateway, it works well for me.
Citibank uses Mastercard Secure Password and as I just found out, Verified By Visa. This is usually linked to the Citibank IPIN. Unless one of the two is there, AFAIK OTP is required as the second level of authentication required by RBI.
Old 29th April 2016, 13:03   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Citibank uses Mastercard Secure Password and as I just found out, Verified By Visa. This is usually linked to the Citibank IPIN. Unless one of the two is there, AFAIK OTP is required as the second level of authentication required by RBI.
Correct. So it is not that I have to use the OTP mandatorily. For e-commerce transactions, I just need the IPIN (which is basically a password you know beforehand and does not change unless you do it intentionally).

Even with HDFC Bank credit card, my VbV password is sufficient. There is no requirement of waiting for an OTP to be delivered to my mobile (unless I ask for it).
Old 29th April 2016, 13:51   #791
BHPian

Quote:
Booking tatkal once does not make me an expert. There is tons of information on the web as I found out last time and I would encourage you to go through those if you still want to persist down this path.

Looking at your options, I think one of the IRCTC wallets is your best bet but I have never used them, so I can't be sure.
Seriously, I wonder how folks manage to book tickets on tatkal. For their achievement, they have to be garlanded and welcomed into tatkal carriages. I have been trying for the past 3 days with the same results. Redbus is also full. Now, am stuck in Mumbai and have to figure out some other alternatives.

The IRCTC wallet is tied to UBI. From what i understand, if you are a account holder, you can load your wallet.

Anyways, I am tired of IRCTC.
Old 29th April 2016, 15:28   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The IRCTC wallet is tied to UBI. From what i understand, if you are a account holder, you can load your wallet.
The wallet cannot be used for Tatkal bookings and opening-day bookings, isn't it?
Old 29th April 2016, 15:41   #793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The wallet cannot be used for Tatkal bookings
It can be used.

http://www.irctcloginindia.co.in/201...l-booking.html
Old 29th April 2016, 21:50   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously, I wonder how folks manage to book tickets on tatkal. For their achievement, they have to be garlanded and welcomed into tatkal carriages. I have been trying for the past 3 days with the same results.
LOL. They should be garlanded and given one tender coconut each.

But seriously I am worried about you and don't have any more tips to give. I hope you make it back somehow.
Old 1st May 2016, 12:25   #795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been trying for the past 3 days with the same results. Redbus is also full
maybe a travel agent would be of better help?

Most Viewed