Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2008, 20:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Beijing Airport

Interesting story below. Will we ever get anything to rival this in India ? IGIA Delhi has been in need of an upgrade for years, a few years ago tenders etc were floated. Has anything been upgraded yet ?

On my last visit the only thing I saw that had changed was that the disgusting old carpet in the departure area had been replaced and there was a Subway tucked away in the corner.

Flying into Beijing's mega-airport - World Blog - msnbc.com

Bigger than the Pentagon, bigger than the small country of Vatican City, a building that is supposed to be so impressive that its architects describe it as "a symbol of place."

The building was constructed at lightning speed; it took four years and 50,000 workers.

Bigger than all 5 heathrow terminals put together.
Old 17th March 2008, 10:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Read about it on rediff as well - rediff.com: The stunning new Beijing airport

Looks awesome. I really wonder when we will such wonders here. We waste our time protesting about new things that can actually help us. (Bangalore airport). When will we learn ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 17th March 2008 at 10:45.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's easy to get impressed with China's amazing ability to build infrastructure at such a fast pace. But, take a step back and look behind the glitz and glamour of swanky buildings and the hard facts come tumbling out.

Quoting from the rediff article:

Quote:
However, the construction of the airport involved the demolition of thousands of houses that rendered more than 10,000 Chinese peasants homeless. China's autocratic Communist regime could thus manage to do something that democratic governments -- like India's -- can hardly ever match.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the human side to the story, the investment and infrastructure looks great.

When 60,000 crores of loans could be written off, it was not that difficult to invest about 3000 crores to build a good airport in India.
Old 17th March 2008, 13:24   #5
BHPian

Theres a lot being written about China's infrastructure plans. I am sure quite a lot happening too!

Check this
China's infrastructure splurge | Rushing on by road, rail and air | Economist.com

The last bit talks about a proposed highway link from Beijing to Taipei across Taiwan Strait.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks