Team-BHP - School for 'Advanced Driving'
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   School for 'Advanced Driving' (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/37043-school-advanced-driving-3.html)

I remembered reading a few years back in AutoCar about a driving school set up by Ashok Leyland for educating drivers of heavy vehicles. Here's a link to it from the Ashok Leyland website:

Namakkal Truck Driver Training School | Burari Driver Training Institute

I did an advanced driving course with VW (VW programs are cheaper than Merc and Audi programs) at Johannesburg. I am not sure who are providing these training in India

They teach the following

1. Highway Driving Etiquettes
2. Track Braking & Cornering Skills
3. Driving with and without ABS and EPS
4. Skid Pad Training (oversteer and understeer recovery)

that's really cool!

So do you all the sliding as Jeremy Clarkson does on all top gear shows? DO they teach that?

This program is meant for ordinary road users to be better drivers. They will put you in a various highway situation (like skid, sudden obstacle, braking distance, following distance, etc) and teach you how to recover. This program is not meant to be racing training. However after the program you would be able to do drift and recover safely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by susan3004 (Post 794552)
One can always enroll in driving schools to hone their skills and pass with flying colours. But how about the other jokers on the road? Who is going to teach them, even the basics?

It is the attitude and the aptitude which needs a drastic change as far as we(in India) are concerned. We have no driving hassles when we drive on foreign roads. We donot even litter or spit on them! Why??

Police doesnot challan buses, because they claim that the bus drivers are rowdy. They donot challan tractor trolleys(overloaded with husk, occupying two lanes) on highways, because they claim that they are poor people and cannot afford the fine.

Police convoys hooting loud sirens are never in the speed limit. Suppose they are not covered under any act??

They target people whom they think they can get money from. (Families, executives, etc).

These are the people who required to be sent to some school for teaching basics/advance of driving!

I am responsible for all of this on the Road.

www.YoursLovingly.in

Hello,

I live in Bangalore and have been searching in vain for an advanced driving course somewhere in South India. My research only shows the Mercedes AMG driving academy at the Buddh Circuit in Delhi, which is not convenient.

Essentially, I'm looking at training on driving a high performance car on road - i. e. tarmac. Not motorsport. I'm guessing the course content will involve overtaking, braking, cornering, etc.

I have a Skoda Octavia VRS, but lack advanced skills to do justice to the car's performance and India's unique highway driving environment!

Please advise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil001 (Post 3206586)
Essentially, I'm looking at training on driving a high performance car on road - i. e. tarmac. Not motorsport. I'm guessing the course content will involve overtaking, braking, cornering, etc.

Slim pickings Phil.

The few driving courses I've heard of are either (a) Rally (b) Premium/expensive.

I've heard many great things about the California Superbike School in India, but that's purely 2-wheelers.

Buddh has also started offering Polo Cup cars on rent. Link

This would be a great option if you had someone along with you who could actually show you the basics.

Then there's the AMG Performance Driving Academy, and the similar courses from BMW and Audi, but those are pricey.

Can't really think of anything beyond that...

I will however say that you can go to the track/course well prepared in the theory department. Start by reading about correct braking / shifting / cornering techniques, etc?

cya
R

Rehan, many thanks for your inputs. My enquiries have revealed the same. The rally sector is unorganised and you never know what you get. I looked at the course content for the AMG Academy courses and found it rather sparse! For a 2 day course, its entirely theory on day 1. On day 2, its driving. Cost is 75K.

If you come across anything more promising, please do let me know.

With regards,

Phillip