Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2008, 10:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Law breaker or not?

The victim is me. Just wanted to share the incident and want to know how one would react if he/she faced the same issue.

I was stopped by Motor Vehicles Department last day for not having proper number plates. This happened by around 8.15am. I said I got my car last Saturday evening and hence I couldn’t get a number plate as I have ordered the High Security Number Plates from Pune. The office was fine with this issue and let me off.

Today I was waved down again at the same spot by Motor Vehicle Department but by two different officers. I explained to them the same story and said if one office was ok with the reason why cant they?

They wanted me to pay fine and this made me furious. I said ok I will pay the fine but said I was upset on how they reached to a law abiding citizen who just wanted a week’s time to get the proper number plates. In the end, they said they will see to the matter when I go to collect my RC book later next month and gave me a big form in which was included the complaint.

They also took photographs of my car. One guy used his mobile cam to take photo of my car’s front and the other did the same for the rear. I didn’t waste time and I too took their and their Bolero’s picture.

I said I am ok with what happened and thanked and wished them a good day.

I was thinking if I had been driving at higher speeds they wouldn’t have stopped me and I need those sun films asap!

I want to know what you would have done if the same had happened to you. I felt bad that a case was registered just coz of this while others were driving/riding breaking law.

: The number is written using permanent ink pen on both rear and front. Please see pix on my garage.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:54   #2
Team-BHP Support

Its all bull, they are just trying to finger you. Just ignore, go collect the RC and if they create an issue, just walk to the Transport Commissioner and inform him very politely what happened.

Cheap govt babus on power play.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

you really expect the MVD to be honest and law abiding ?

They were just looking for their next bribe, and they got more than they bargained for.
Old 19th March 2008, 10:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Already getting into trouble with the law Jk?

The rule is that you cannot drive the vehicle without 'proper number plates'. Even if it's a temp registration or the normal registration it should be as per the specs.

You're registration was written on the paper which if they want to can be taken as violation of law and charge you against it.

But there are people who use such temporary paper number plates and get away with it. I know how you must be feeling.

What's happened has happened. Nothing that can be done now. If the high security plates takes time to reach i suggest you fix some kind of cheap plates with sticker numbers.

And do nothing and wait till you go to collect the RC. If everythings okay then fine.. or if there is some trouble i'm sure that you can take care of it with a good lawyer.

I'm glad that both of you took the pics of each other's vehicles... sweet memories

Last edited by Sankar : 19th March 2008 at 11:00.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I said I got my car last Saturday evening and hence I couldn’t get a number plate as I have ordered the High Security Number Plates from Pune.
jk.

i don't know whether you or the COPS got stiffed dude!!

how much did the high security number plates cost you. also, why from pune? i got a quote for 950 rupees for a set here in delhi, but for some reason, all the number plate guys seem really reluctant to sell you these plates!!

cheers.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is so typical of them!

JK... IF the number you inked conform to the rules reg the size of the characters and numbers - then you are okay. There is no rule governing the material the number plate has to be in (except that they can't be fancy or multicolored ones etc). Way back when I used to have a learners license, I had put an "L" board to my scooter as required. This board was made of cardboard and which disintegrated during the rains. I then switched to 'Radium' tape (... what they used to call reflective tapes those days) and had a big prominent "L" stuck to both the front and the rear of my scooter. These MV guys stopped me on the premise that the rule says "BOARD" and therefore a Board it should be. I argued and argued - all to no avail - they had to finally let me off when I pointed out that their own vehicle did not conform to the rules governing the letter size and font - and that I was willing to pay the fine if they paid it first themselves!! This received the whole hearted, and vocal, support of the crowd that had gathered by then and these guys had to beat a hasty retreat.

The rule says you cannot use the vehicle on public roads without registering the vehicle and having proper plates in place. So legally the fact that you had "ordered for high security plates from Pune" will not by itself hold in the court. You can of course argue that you had inked the number properly - at which point they may or may not check the lettering of your current plate to see if it matches norms. If it does you have NOT broken any rules!!!
Old 19th March 2008, 11:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Since they have the photo of your temporary plate it can be shown as proof - if the numbers are not according to the specs.

Since you have their vehicles photo check if their plates are as per the specs. If not
you have a good point in court.

But leave it man.... chill and be cool. I don't think those guys are going to pursue this issue... they were looking for some quick buck that they didn't get. I'm sure that you would get your RC without any trouble.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:37   #8
Team-BHP Support

A friend of mine related his experience in the US of A.
Driving down some interstate highway slightly over the speed limit he was flagged down.

As he stood with the cop looking at all the other cars whiz by, he felt singled out.
The cop when asked why he was stopped, answered, "Ever gone fishing, sonny".
Old 19th March 2008, 11:47   #9
BHPian

JK,
I have the same opinion of Sankar. But anyway I don't think it's going to be an issue. They were trying to play with you at that moment and you will get your RC book without any problem. But it would be good if you can put a cheap numberplate till you get the ordered one. it's raining heavily and the paper / ink numberplate may tear off or fade easily.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:50   #10
BHPian

Yes, JK, forget about it. As Sankar said, they expected some money and once they realised that they are not gonna get it, they just made a hoo-haa by taking snaps / giving forms etc. It was just their ego and I dont think they will hang around with it anymore. So, take a chill pill and arrange for a temp. number plate till you get your high security one from Pune.

And..congrats btw for the big one!
Old 19th March 2008, 12:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Will surely paste a bolder sketched one soon as I will be travelling this weekend.

Check these Pearl White Bolero:P and that lucky Swift guy!
Attached Thumbnails
Law breaker or not?-19032008.jpg  

Law breaker or not?-19032008001.jpg  

Old 19th March 2008, 12:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Since they have the photo of your temporary plate it can be shown as proof - if the numbers are not according to the specs.
What surprised me was the scene when two officials running around my Safari with mobile cams to take pix!
Old 19th March 2008, 12:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

coming to think of it wonder what might have happened if you had just carried on... there is no number to trace and anything else is easily your word against theirs and can be easily refuted in the court of law.

I went around on a TR for over 4 months after I got my car (due to some address proof issues) - even the TR was just a piece of paper stuck to the front and rear windshield. So guess its just one of those things

Dont worry - Guess you will be able to get your RC book.

BTW- their # plate looks okay
Old 19th March 2008, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Jk,
How can they prove the Safari belongs to you, do they have a single photo that shows the chasis number, engine number and the sticker in place of the number plate ?

I dont think such mobile phone pics and videos are admissible in a court of law in India for most laws and sections of the IPC. Even on accident cases - where photographs are required- you can't just take a couple of snaps and present them in court. There is a proper channel via the insurance company-provided photographer.

As advised, opt for art-of-living alerts in your mobile phone...

Congratulations for your new ride...BTW from where you are getting the high-sec number plates?
Old 19th March 2008, 13:11   #15
BHPian

in delhi a dealer does not let a car out without a plate.. what i would do is get the normal plates for like 300 a set and put em on till you get the high sec one ... in my opinion those plates dont look good

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks