Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2008, 12:20   #1
BHPian

Earth Hour : Save Electricity Tomorrow

Hi all,

You must have read about this in newspapers. Tomorrow (29th March) between 8 pm and 9 pm, please switch off your electrical appliances as a part of global efforts to reduce emissions.

Quote:
Created to take a stand against the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, Earth Hour uses the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming.

On March 31 2007, for one hour, Sydney made a powerful statement about the greatest contributor to global warming – coal-fired electricity – by turning off its lights. Over 2.2 million Sydney residents and over 2,100 businesses switched off, leading to a 10.2% energy reduction across the city. What began as one city taking a stand against global warming caught the attention of the world.

In 2008, 24 global cities will participate in Earth Hour at 8pm on March 29. Earth Hour is the highlight of a major campaign to encourage businesses, communities and individuals to take the simple steps needed to cut their emissions on an ongoing basis. It is about simple changes that will collectively make a difference – from businesses turning off their lights when their offices are empty, to households turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby.
Also visit Earth Hour US - Earth Hour 2008
Old 28th March 2008, 12:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

I also got this in my mail. Here in Faridabad we use to get only 16-18 hrs of electricity in domestic area and about 10-12 hrs in Industrial sector. I think we are already saving to much.
Old 28th March 2008, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

my house everyone is at work,so almost 12-14hrs a day we are saving electricity except for sundays.so this is more than enuff from our side for the earth
Old 28th March 2008, 13:09   #4
Senior - BHPian

With so many power-cuts in India, don't think that India needs to participate in this initiative. We are way ahead of developed nations in saving electricity.
Old 28th March 2008, 13:10   #5
BHPian

I don't have an office, so 100% savings from me.
Old 28th March 2008, 13:18   #6
BHPian

am running a factory in industrial area, hee we have power cut for 8 hours, so finally our factory is generator fired no elecetricity used, i will surely put that off for one hour
Old 28th March 2008, 15:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

This has got to be the most hilarious thread on team-bhp ever.
Okay, I'll turn the power off in my place from 8-9 tomorrow.

Last edited by nitrous : 28th March 2008 at 15:35.
Old 28th March 2008, 15:58   #8
BHPian

Lol, this thread wasn't meant to be funny, but it surely has turned out to be one!

Staying in Pune, where we were spared of any power cuts for last year or so, made me forget that load shedding still exists in most parts of India.

Still guys, please do your bit to save power.

And Vikram, one need not own an office to save electricity. We can switch off our refrigerators and air cons for one hour tomorrow!
Old 28th March 2008, 16:16   #9
BHPian

I am game for this one. will certainly switch off for an hour tomorrow at the said timings.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well back at my parents home we celebrate earth day for days by having powercuts.
Old 28th March 2008, 21:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

An hour is not going to help.

I was in Walmart recently and was walking down the Ice-Cream section and noticed that the place was rather dimly lit. As I walked down the asile... motion sensors detected me and turned on lights one after the other. Pretty Cool eh?
Old 28th March 2008, 21:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

we had such motion sensors even in our office in new york, in staircases (since most of the time they were never used), even in my manager's room.

Recently i heard about a non music day in UK. turn off all the music around you, radio, TV everything. This was somebody who had been doing it every year for himself, and then encouraged others to try it.
Old 28th March 2008, 21:53   #13
Team-BHP Support

We have these motion sensors at my office in Hyderabad.
Old 28th March 2008, 22:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Here in Faridabad we use to get only 16-18 hrs of electricity in domestic area and about 10-12 hrs in Industrial sector. I think we are already saving to much.
We suffer 3 hours load shedding everyday and this is just the begining it gona increase. So i think we can give it a skip.
Old 29th March 2008, 00:47   #15
BHPian

My response to a similar post elsewhere:

8 PM to 9 PM is off-peak hours (load factor is less) for most power generation stations but the power is generated anyway whether you use it or not. So switching off electric appliances from 8 PM to 9 PM is going to do didly squat to environment (as damage is already done in production) except saving you some money.

I think Coal power stations are the only ones which adjust change their output with load but then your one hour crusade on one day a year is not going to force them to change their supply targets. If you want to make a difference, switch off electrical appliances for one hr every day - This long term demand change will force them to change supply.

If the idea is to create awareness, many here are already aware of the damage we are causing to environment with our consumption patterns so sitting in dark for an hour is not going to make us more aware. Those who are not aware of it wont be reading this thread anyway

Last edited by Mayavi : 29th March 2008 at 00:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks