Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 22:02   #406
BANNED

Wow, Heavy rains and lightning , Mad winds which blew away my temp. car shed Tarpaulin top and oh boy hailstorms added the flavor. Now chilled atmosphere with No power from last 5 hrs in Kasturi Nagar.
Old 17th May 2010, 01:34   #407
Senior - BHPian

Went on a ride to Indiranagar through thippasandra, the scene was crazy. No electricity anywhere, trees uprooted branches broken and fallen on the road every few hundred meters. In my own apartment complex, we had the tiles fly off the club house. Something I havent seen happen ever in the last 2 years in this complex. Havent seen such winds and rain in Bangalore more than once in the last 4 years.
No electricity for the last 7 hours now, surviving on power backup.

Last edited by sammyboy : 17th May 2010 at 01:36.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:14   #408
BHPian

Last evening, I had some large branches falling on my car when I was driving on Queens Road !
Resulted in dents on the bonnet, roof and door.

Luckily, my wind-screen did not break.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:20   #409
Senior - BHPian

Thank god we had all the weak branches and trees falling off a couple of weeks ago during the hailstorm. No power problems now in our area. Should be almost the end of summer.
Old 17th May 2010, 10:40   #410
Senior - BHPian

Was driving to home (Kumarapark) from Kanakapura after being to a resort with friends. We were 5 in total in my car (a good old Fiat). When we reached Metro, it started pouring like cats and dogs. I had a visibility of just 3-5 feet. All my friends, especially the women folk were shell shocked and yelling and screaming. They wanted me to stop the car as the visibility was too poor. I being a very experienced driver, kept the journey going. All over the place I could see branches, trees and some electricity poles uprooted. At one point my fiat was knee deep in water. Brakes were hardly working.

Even with these conditions, my good old Fiat (Premier Padmini S1) gets all of us in one piece safely
Old 17th May 2010, 11:09   #411
BHPian

I was driving back home from Kundanahalli, when rain wreaked havoc. Wifey wanted me to stop the car, as the visibility was near zero. Not knowing how long the rain would last and the flood-like situation already, I took the risk of driving and reached home safe.

Our home lost the battle though - the skylight was leaking and the terrace door leaked as well. The calling bell rang after sometime and we were baffled on seeing no-one at the door. A simple tester revealed the problem - the water had slashed through the switch and the contacts were wet. Took a good 15 minutes, to clean everything up - time to buy a switch with splash guard.

Edit: Anyone with switches exposed to elements, please install switches with splash guard and water-proof the board with silicone.

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 17th May 2010 at 11:11.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:40   #412
Senior - BHPian

Finally, electricity is back after almost a 24 hour gap. The generators were working almost the whole time, thank god for backup.
Old 17th May 2010, 13:51   #413
BHPian

I just cant forget yesterday's rain. It came as a mini cyclone in Yelahanka, the one hour rain has uprooted many trees and several branches have come to the roads.

The rain was banging the doors as if the army guys are trying to open the door. In my 8 years stay in Blore never ever have seen this type of rain.

Today morning while coming to office I saw many of the billboards missing on the BIAL road. Everything has flown off.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:00   #414
Senior - BHPian

On the occasion of Akshaya Tritiya, there were many weddings and building opening ceremonies yesterday. I am sure they were angry with rain gods!
Old 17th May 2010, 14:32   #415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Finally, electricity is back after almost a 24 hour gap. ....
24 HOURS??? Which area is this?
Average down time was 4 -5 hours max everywhere in bangalore as far as i know.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:35   #416
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, this happened for the first time as a lot of trees were uprooted and they took the poles and wires with them. A transformer was also damaged so it all added to the woes. This is in CV Raman Nagar. Actually it wasnt really a 24 hr gap but normal sunday powercuts + the storm yesterday added to quite a few hours.
Old 17th May 2010, 14:44   #417
BHPian

Heavy Rain last night. Was outside watching F1 with Friends and on the Return saw large amount of debris and tree branches all over. Indiranagar looks like a War Zone. 2 trees fallen near my house, 3 concrete electric posts uprooted from their foundations .

Narrowly missed banging into a tree head-on while driving back home. Innova before me took a quick detour to the opposite lane and I saw it at the last minute and went behind. Good thing I was going slow.
Old 18th May 2010, 00:00   #418
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be a cyclone in bay of bengal .Its raining again .

We need a new thread "It did not rain in bangalore today " .
Old 18th May 2010, 00:32   #419
BHPian

Fortunately or unfortunately, we were away at Chennai on 16th and were not aware of the heavy rains and winds at Bangalore till we returned home this evening and the maid reported of it on our arrival.

However driving past Hosur on 15th evening at around 1730hrs, we were caught in heavy winds and hailstorm. In spite of the heavy and forceful winds, our well-planted Ritz was running stable on its course, unlike the Maruti van which would have started swaying in the wind. With nil visiblity, most motorists pulled off the road and stopped with hazard warning lights on. I also had to pull off the road for that reason and wait for about ten minutes for the hailstorm to abate before proceeding. Just 10 Kms down, it was absolutely dry and there was no sign of any rains. We rang up a relative living nearby at Bangalore to find out whether it rained at Bangalore and he had reported that except for a slight drizzle, there was nothing unusual.

We are amazed at how the same scene we witnessed on 15th evening 60 Kms away from Bangalore descended on Bangalore on 16th evening 24 hours later.
Old 18th May 2010, 14:00   #420
BHPian

Power disruption in certain areas of KRPuram started at 8PM yesterday and continues till now. Looks like BESCOM is changing all cables (and related works), monsoon precautions maybe!

Most Viewed