Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 17:11   #856
Senior - BHPian

Many low lying areas of Koramangala are already getting flooded:
The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-image2488209398.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-image2370510509.jpg
Old 15th May 2012, 17:15   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Heavens have opened up big time in Rajarajeshwarinagar. Near-zero visibility! Glad I'd decided to leave office early and reached home early as well.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:56   #858
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Same is the situation at ORR, Marathahalli side. It was as dark as after Sunset even at 4.20pm itself. Love these torrential rains but worried about the traffic jams that'll happen as rain will inundate the underpasses. I'll be leaving for home late today so I hope that things will get cleared up by then.
Old 15th May 2012, 17:58   #859
Team-BHP Support

Strong winds and very heavy rain in Indiranagar. The roads are flooding up quite fast. I hope the trees can hold it together for now. Indiranagar is known for branches falling and entire trees being uprooted during these torrential rains.
Old 15th May 2012, 19:41   #860
BHPian

Left office around 4.00 pm as soon as i heard the rumbles (sounded just like in jurassic park ..hehe ). Drove home in near-zero visibility. But glad i did not get stranded in any jams anywhere. Roads were FREE !!!!

I feared kadubeesanahalli underpass to be flooded and traffic towards marathahalli would be miles long in queue. Whats the status of this underpass now?
Old 15th May 2012, 20:03   #861
Senior - BHPian

just listen to crackle of ice falling! this is at Madiwala; i've stopped in front of Total Mall. have to check tomorrow if there are dents
Old 15th May 2012, 20:32   #862
BHPian

Oh I didnt realise there was hail as well!

Rained insanely even around Bangalore Golf Course, Cunningham road area. It took me 20 mins to reach the last 2 kms before my house.
Old 15th May 2012, 22:16   #863
Team-BHP Support

I looked out just before 4 and decide it was time to run. The fact that fellow Mod theMag decided to return home early corroborated that we better get back fast!

Told a colleague who normally commutes by Volvo to pack up and come along else it would be hell. We were driving ahead of the rain but it caught up with us when we reached Victoria road. Then we were pelted by hailstones

Hopefully the car would have a good soak!
Old 16th May 2012, 09:36   #864
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what rains in Bangalore that too pre-monsoon showers. Its definately a welcome relief for the city that was reeling under the summer heat until now. Looks like its time to rejoice for the farmers as well as it can be assumed that actual Monsoon will be good this year. No more car washes till the rains subsides

But yesterdays hail storm and rain certainly uprooted quite a few trees. Wonder why it happens in Bangalore, maybe the roots dont go down that deep due to rocky terrian. Couple of uprooting which I saw were:

1. Near Netkallapa circle, an old and heavy tree uprooted blocking almost 3/4th of the road, since traffic was less at that time was able to pass through
2. Near JP Nagar 1st Phase Kala Mandir. A tree fell on a i10 parked on the side of the road.
Old 20th May 2012, 10:57   #865
BHPian

When I drive in the heavy rains in Hyderabad, there are two things I worry about... (i) traffic jams and closed roads around KBR and the Jubilee checkpost: Due to the floods, vehicles have to turn around and go back - imagine that in a traffic jam, (ii) water entering the engine: The Esteem engine did have the rpms going crazy with me doing nothing out of the ordinary after leaving a large puddle and finally stopped when it got to the top of a slope ("See? I told you it wouldn't get stuck in a puddle like that Skoda back there!"). It did start on turning the key, but the steam pouring out of the bonnet was not confidence-inspiring. I took it to the Maruti service center who said there were no problems at all. It was after that incident that I was glad I had a Peugeot TUD5 under the hood despite churning out under 60hp.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:21   #866
Team-BHP Support

Pre-monsoon showers finally hit Udupi district yesterday early morning. Right now it is raining as I am writing this. Monsoon will start this week, so glad it is not delayed.

Coast is clear: Monsoon to hit Kerala in 48 hrs - The Economic Times
Old 4th June 2012, 10:57   #867
BHPian

^been waiting for the rains!
very uncharacteristically in Pune we have not had pre-monsoon or thunderstorms since mid-april or so. (and had only a couple of those back then)
Old 4th June 2012, 12:21   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^been waiting for the rains!
very uncharacteristically in Pune we have not had pre-monsoon or thunderstorms since mid-april or so. (and had only a couple of those back then)
Yes, and equally envious of regular showers at Bengalooru. Life is unfair
Old 4th June 2012, 20:33   #869
Team-BHP Support

It rained a lot today in Manipal, at least 5-6 times. And pretty hard too.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-p6040530.jpg
Old 4th June 2012, 22:54   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It rained a lot today in Manipal, at least 5-6 times. And pretty hard too.
aaah...monsoon showers and the smell of the earth ...the nearest that we we get to showers like that when the sprinkers turn on or when u run the bath shower. Traveling back to India for couple of weeks in another 3 weeks time and dying to get drenched to the bones

Most Viewed