Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2018, 19:07   #1441
Team-BHP Support

Re: The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Udupi, which is receiving equal amount of rain has no flooding since storm drains are still working.
It's been almost 2.5 months, and the rain is simply pounding non-stop. I have never seen this much rain fall in a single season in my memory. The storm drains are still working, so we don't have any flooding problem yet.

Checkout the rain forecast for the next one week.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-chrome-legacy-window-12082018-185532.bmp.jpg
Old 13th August 2018, 06:57   #1442
Senior - BHPian

Chikkamagaluru

A time machine seems to have descended here, taking the entire district back to an era when leaking roofs, moist walls, slippery roads and fungal clothes were the norm during monsoons. I can recall no instance of rains this long and consistent at least in the last twenty years. A friend's father, a farmer in his seventies, claims to have not seen such fury in his lifetime in and around Sringeri.

Unlike the last few years, we are feeling that we are actually in Malenadu . Interestingly, this monsoon has also seen the return of bone chilling cold. As I type this sitting beneath two really good comforters, I can feel my toes still trying to come out of the numbness caused by cold water.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-img_20180813_070138.jpg

Coffee, Black pepper and Areca nut plantations are rotting because of excess moisture and waterlogging; roads have given way to craters; tourist inflow has reduced. Sadly, due to large scale encroachment of feeder canals and catchment areas, many local lakes are struggling to reach their full capacity.

However, a few areas bordering Chitradurga district, especially in and around Hosadurga are bone dry.

Last edited by dailydriver : 13th August 2018 at 07:03.
Old 13th August 2018, 08:50   #1443
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I can recall no instance of rains this long and consistent at least in the last twenty years.
When I spoke to my uncle yesterday, he said the same - The rain hasn't been stopping at all. This after news on Kannada channels constantly beaming visuals from rain battered taluks around Chikkamagaluru.

Talking about slippery and broken roads, powerless homes, dead phone lines, moist wall and fungus - I can only recollect my 22 years spent experiencing all this - Gloomy days, Duckback rubber shows and raincoats, fallen trees and ruined electricity lines, dead phones and at times, visiting the Yagachi bridge to see swollen river gushing muddy water, regular holidays declared for schools too - The difference here being the fact that all these were a weeklong or even a fortnight affair and one would never get to see dry patch of road for days together!

Honestly, on yesterday looking at the visuals, I was only getting more nostalgic than concerned because that is exactly the type of rains and sweet miseries we have seen there. I haven't been able to make it to either Belur or Chikkamagluru since past few weeks and I was so keen to do that on the weekend that just passed by, only to spend a weekend at my home, reliving those days watching the never ending rains.

And regarding the Coffee Planters' agony, the less said the better. One of my classmate who spoke to me last Tuesday was fed up with rains this time as much of the damage to coffee has already been done.

Last edited by paragsachania : 13th August 2018 at 08:51.
Old 13th August 2018, 10:52   #1444
Senior - BHPian

To put things into perspective - lest the readers mistake it for a storm in the tea cup - we have been powerless for a total of around ten full nights in the last two months. It forsake us yesterday evening (too) at 6.30 and is yet to come back - 16 hours and counting.

Many a Mondays, we are forced to send our children to school in partially (iron box) dried uniforms. From their bags to ribbons, everything is wet. Less spoken about their white uniforms and canvas shoes, the better.

Vehicle suspensions have taken a severe beating and wipers are almost always on. All cars look as if they have just come out a tough Rain Forest Challenge. Chikkamagaluru today is a car detailer's nightmare!

Have a look at the condition of the District field, the venue for celebrations on the 15th.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-img20180813wa0003.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-img20180813wa0002.jpg

There are other minor irritants like carefully chosen vegetables going bad in two days, that shiny black leather shoe gathering a coat of white fur or the innocuous looking damp wall sending harmless volts of electricity through your body when touched; of long forgotten rain coats and duck backs being resuscitated, of the almost extinct recipes of strong, threpeutic broths being revived.

But for a true blue Malenadiga, these are just that - minor irritants, akin to a leech bite .

That said, folks who can claim to be patient, careful and responsible drivers, please do plan a roving trip this monsoon. You will find that this Chikka - Magala - Ooru is none of a kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I was only getting more nostalgic than concerned because that is exactly the type of rains...
Ah, Nostalgia!

That idiot who kills us by reminding us of the pleasures forgotten, forsaken and at times forbidden .
Old 13th August 2018, 11:12   #1445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Chikkamagaluru

A time machine seems to have descended here, taking the entire district back to an era when leaking roofs, moist walls, slippery roads and fungal clothes were the norm during monsoons.

Attachment 1789592

Coffee, Black pepper and Areca nut plantations are rotting because of excess moisture and waterlogging; roads have given way to craters; tourist inflow has reduced. Sadly, due to large scale encroachment of feeder canals and catchment areas, many local lakes are struggling to reach their full capacity.

However, a few areas bordering Chitradurga district, especially in and around Hosadurga are bone dry.

This is very concerning for me. My wife & I, along with our 2.5 yr old daughter are planning to visit the Linger resort/ Balur estate in Chikmaglur during 17-20 August. Bookings have been done and travel preparations are well underway.

Was just wondering about this forecast and if we should take any extra precautions, or even re-think our dates a little bit.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:19   #1446
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And regarding the Coffee Planters' agony, the less said the better. One of my classmate who spoke to me last Tuesday was fed up with rains this time as much of the damage to coffee has already been done.
This is the song that a coffee planter in and around Sakaleshapura and Chikkamagaluru is singing this season...
The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-.facebook_1534139134784.jpg

The river in my native place has risen to a level that my father used to see in his childhood days.
Old 13th August 2018, 11:32   #1447
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is the song that a coffee planter in and around Sakaleshapura and Chikkamagaluru is singing this season...
Oh yes. How can I forget that. Our own fellow member Chandan has posted this on his Facebook wall.

Talking about rains, the scene in our city Bengaluru is gloomy since a week but hardly any rains that can do justice to the weather that has been over the few days. Nevertheless, this thread and the Rants thread complement each other on regular basis, due to rains .
Old 14th August 2018, 20:59   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes. How can I forget that. Our own fellow member Chandan has posted this on his Facebook wall.

Talking about rains, the scene in our city Bengaluru is gloomy since a week but hardly any rains that can do justice to the weather that has been over the few days. Nevertheless, this thread and the Rants thread complement each other on regular basis, due to rains .

Hi Parag,

Need one specific input from you as I see you hail from Belur. My friend and his parents (who have come in from North) have planned to visit Belur, Halebidu and Sakleshpura if possible, on the next weekend. Just wanted to check how's the rains at these places and whether good to visit now.

Also if yes, any recommendations for stay at Belur.

Thanks in advance.

KK
Old 14th August 2018, 21:26   #1449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Just wanted to check how's the rains at these places and whether good to visit now.
Belur & Halebidu should not be a problem no matter how much it rains because the access to these 2 towns is easy. Even during worst rains, the temples never close but for sure most of the shops right in the town down their shutters during these weeks/months including restaurants around.

However, Sakaleshpur would be tricky and depends where exactly they intend to visit. Roads between Hassan - Sakaleshpura and Sakaleshpura Belur pass through some thick vegetation, more precisely Sakleshpura - Belur where occasional tree fall is quite a common affair since decades.

For instance, just today Newspapers reported Sakaleshpur - Hanbal road was closed due to heavy rains (Landslide or tree fall) - still irrelevant if its just Belur and Helebidu.

Quote:
Also if yes, any recommendations for stay at Belur.
Avoid staying at Belur completely. Not one worth Hotel today which I will recommend. Instead, make Hassan as base and it will offer plenty of options including the now very famous and attractive Palguni Residency. Apart from this, there is Southern Star, Malligi, Ashok too.

You make Hassan as base, take the Salagame road (and not the one via Belur Road) to reach Halebidu as you will be inside town anyway and then do Belur and return to Hassan.

If you make a choice at Sakleshpur to stay, It would ideally be the Homestays and resorts but let me tell you that this isn't the best season to opt for a homestays as you would hardly experience anything but 4 walls around you inside that cottage/room.

All said and done, it has still been raining here (Belur)but if Temples here are the POIs for the folks you are referring to, Umbrella and Raincoats is all it would take to make this a memorable trip without issues.

Last edited by paragsachania : 14th August 2018 at 21:29.
Old 24th September 2018, 06:48   #1450
Distinguished - BHPian

It's been raining non-stop in many parts of Bengaluru since around 22:30 yesterday. The accompanying Thunder were one of the loudest I've heard. Many drains are overflowing. I heard that some schools have already declared holiday. I'm working from home. People who have to go out, take enough precautions! Today also the forecast says rain for the entire day
Old 24th September 2018, 07:56   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It's been raining non-stop in many parts of Bengaluru since around 22:30 yesterday. The accompanying Thunder were one of the loudest I've heard. Many drains are overflowing. I heard that some schools have already declared holiday. I'm working from home. People who have to go out, take enough precautions! Today also the forecast says rain for the entire day
You should say precisely where in Bangalore
I live near Frazer Town and it was not more than drizzle and not even one stroke of a thunderstorm until now. One of my team members messaged me this morning stating not able to reach office because of rain.

Cheers!
Old 24th September 2018, 08:22   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Its raining heavily even now in RR Nagar. Its been raining heavily since last night with loud thunder. I expect traffic to be a mess today since I saw only cars being taken out for travel. Its better work from home if possible since the cloud cover is still heavy and it could keep raining now and then.

@treadmark, Are you sure it didnt rain ?Maybe you are very good sleeper and didnt hear anything

Last edited by srishiva : 24th September 2018 at 08:24.
Old 24th September 2018, 10:03   #1453
BHPian

No rains yesterday, except for a slight drizzle, in the evening. Very heavy rains from 4:30 am till 5 am today morning. This is in RT Nagar - North Bengaluru.
Old 24th September 2018, 11:06   #1454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

@treadmark, Are you sure it didnt rain ?Maybe you are very good sleeper and didnt hear anything
I guess it's been raining heavily in certain areas which has been the trend recently.

I stay around the same area as Treadmark and although I could hear rain most of the night, I did not wake up to heavy thunder which I normally do and most of the main roads had dried up by 7 am when I was heading to work.
Old 24th September 2018, 11:27   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Raining heavily in Delhi/NCR as well since Friday evening. Looks like plenty of monsoon rainfall has been received by this region this year.

Last edited by bluevolt : 24th September 2018 at 11:29.

Most Viewed