Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2020, 16:19   #1501
BHPian

Re: The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
What's happening in Hyderabad? Papers report that yesterday saw one of the heaviest rainfalls in a long long time.
A lot has happened actually, not just Pragathinagar, there are many areas that have submerged in the water. Reportedly the second-highest rain fall of this century in Hyderabad.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-screenshot_20201014160055474_com.whatsapp2.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-screenshot_20201014160122843_com.whatsapp2.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-screenshot_20201014160207248_com.whatsapp2.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-screenshot_20201014160226321_com.whatsapp2.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-screenshot_20201014160228379_com.whatsapp2.jpg
tchsvy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 16:23   #1502
BHPian

The rains have been very bad over the last 24 hours. At one of my sites a culvert got breached. Luckily there is not much movement there. Another site became a lake.

Quite a few instances of water over flowing are being shown. Now with social media/ whatsapp, I am no longer sure if the information we are seeing is current or not. But overall better to stay indoors if possible.
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 17:57   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Video of the Swift incident.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hyderabad/c...eb2x&context=3
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 18:03   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
A lot has happened actually, not just Pragathinagar, there are many areas that have submerged in the water. Reportedly the second-highest rain fall of this century in Hyderabad.
I stay in Pragathi Nagar too, I was shocked at the downpour yesterday. I seriously doubted that my building would collapse given the noise and the sheer volumes of water. What I saw yesterday was unprecedented. There were a few apartments around my building that had water in their cellars. I hope the woes end soon, this is not at all good given the current difficulty that the citizens are already facing.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:05   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
What's happening in Hyderabad? Papers report that yesterday saw one of the heaviest rainfalls in a long long time. A close friend's apartment in Pragathinagar (Moosapet Road) has lost its compound wall and the water is up till the first floor; less said about the basement the better! The building has been without power from last night.
Yes, it's been pretty bad.
Luckily, whoever built our apartments built them a little higher so we're good. But there's a fair amount of flooding in the compound of the gated community too because of the compound walls holding water back. Rain water harvesting pits help it drain but not fast enough. the rain is pretty strong.
I'm afraid the basement will flood if it continues this way. But we're far from that. and it stopped raining!
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 09:16   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Of the multiple photos and videos depicting the rain havoc in Hyderabad, this is perhaps one that Bhpians will empathize with.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-img_20201015_090942.jpg
(Pic Courtesy: Indian Express)

Along with Hyderabad, many parts of Telangana and northern Karnataka are also bearing the brunt.
Old 15th October 2020, 19:57   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Of the multiple photos and videos depicting the rain havoc in Hyderabad, this is perhaps one that Bhpians will empathize with...
That's awful. Not only the destruction of the cars, but the obvious speed of the water on the street. Nature's fury!

My morning newspaper says 32 deaths. Probably that number has risen. Very best wishes to all in that city.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2020, 21:30   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
.....Very best wishes to all in that city.
Thank you Thad,
Sunshine this morning came as a ray of hope but many parts of the city remain inundated.

Looks like the flyover under construction near our airport has collapsed, though. The construction was on halt due to the heavy rains.
Guys do you have any news the bridge that has collapsed near the airport???
No news channels have reported it since I think it just happened.

I think it's the new one that was being constructed after PV NARASIMHA flyover.
Dad is coming back from the airport and called up to tell us he'll be late because apparently the flyover under construction has collapsed and caused a blockage.

All of the traffic has been diverted elsewhere.

I was confident the basement wouldn't have water ingress owing to the raised nature of our colony and curbs near the basement entry. There are about a hundred cars in the basement.
The water made it's way into the basement and now there's no way out. It's just about ankle deep at the deepest point so not much of worry. But brought the City outside since it was sunny outside. Didn't want the car to be in a lot of moisture, especially in a closed and damp environment. We had some fungus in the i10 when it was in the basement, so didn't want to take chances,

Last edited by viXit : 15th October 2020 at 21:32.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 18:57   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Thank you Thad,
Sunshine this morning came as a ray of hope but many parts of the city remain inundated.
Continuing....

Yesterday was very close to what I'd call devastating.
It started drizzling and my heart sank.

I won't get into the details but,
evaporation happened and then precipitation followed. Our colony has a slight slope and rain water harvesting pits at the bottom of the slope. It's not a slope your eyes can perceive but the rains we've been having are doing a good job of showing us how it's been.

There's a hundred cars parked here . All of them deep in water that's almost touching the bottom of their bumpers and if we'd have another hour or two of rain as intense. Many owners would've found their cars' carpets soaked.

But this wasn't even the most dangerous thing that happened. I was just logging onto the internet when I heard a loud BOOM accompanied by a metallic resonating sound. Like something blew up inside a metal container.
And oh, loss of power. But sadly, our apartment doesn't have LIMP mode, so we just lost all power in the middle of the night.

Now how am I gonna browse teamBHP? ( that's just a joke, our internet switch boxes for act fibernet have battery backups, but those drained and now even though they have power, my login isn't working. thank you, ACT. You need to get your ACT together hahah)

Me and dad went downstairs to see what happened, but I was more concerned about the cars drowning on the other end of the colony. I pulled my pajamas' up to my knees and started running through the water with an umbrella in my hand. NGL, felt like Aamir khan in the rain in 3 idiots.
I called my friend whose city was at the far end (deeper) and we removed the car and put it in a higher, raised location. A lucky 530d owner parked on a slope instead of on the side of the road and saved his car.

Now back to the...

Power Outage

Water was seeping into the electrical conduits from nooks and crannies I didn't even know existed. The water started trickling down pipes carrying wires. Live wires. Water even got into the pipes which were sealed tight.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-waterflow.jpg

The water filled the pipes up and tried reaching the lowest point in the pipes, as water will typically do. And the lowest point unfortunately was into the electrical boxes that housed all the circuitry for our homes. Water started dripping into these. Sparky things happened and then.....you know the drill. This little explosion happened inside the sealed metal box, that's what the metallic sound was.

Brought a spirit level and gave it to dad as he identified low regions in the piping and modified them by putting stones under the pipes to change the direction of flow. Away from the circuitry.
The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201018_001018.jpg
The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_234441.jpg
We were all extremely lucky.
Water went all over the boxes but since most wires were insulated, we were good.

But one wire wasn't . Water got into that one, and it grounded itself with the metal body of the boxes. The heat released was so much that the metal railing on which the wires mount melted and it was almost like a weld. The wire caught fire and burned two more next to it. Spend the night without power. Got it back at around 11. We left it off at night to allow for the boxes to dry after preventing any further H2O ingress.

We had to break the pipes open to let the water out.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_235420_013.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_235411.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_235127_013.jpg

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201018_000125.jpg

Notice the rust on the metal. SHows that this had been happening for a long time.

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_234654.jpg
The pictures are taking forever to upload. Using BSNL since act service is out. They even recorded a message whenever you call customer care about rains and how it affected them.

The lift also had water seeping into it.

Staying very close to Hussain Sagar, or Tank Bund, the biggest lake in HYD, is a little scary because if the wall of tank bund breaks. we're going to have SERIOUS PROBLEMS. The water will wash away apartments in it's way like it's nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
The rains have been very bad over the last 24 hours...current or not. But overall better to stay indoors if possible.
Walls of a house collapsed because of rains. Indoors aren't safe for a few with older homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy View Post
Remember when we had continuous rains for a two weeks a few years back and water in hussain sagar rose to the highest it had ever been? is that the highest? Thank god none of that happened. I remember necklace road had a big hole in it that just created itself, the road fell inside. THis means that the tank bund wall, that holds the water back, on which the road is there, is hella weak. I cannot imagine how it would be if the wall gives away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My morning newspaper says 32 deaths. Probably that number has risen. Very best wishes to all in that city.
THe counts seem wrong to me. unless someone fell into pits or ditches because of flooding and not being able to see the open manholes etc, I don't think that's possible. The showers hit hard last night but now it's bone dry. No flooding nothing. So it's hard to believe people died because of rains, that too , as many as 32

Quote:
What's happening in Hyderabad? Papers report that yesterday saw one of the heaviest rainfalls in a long long time. A close friend's apartment in Pragathinagar (Moosapet Road) has lost its compound wall and the water is up till the first floor; less said about the basement the better! The building has been without power from last night.
Same fate, although our basement isn't badly flooded the wheels are wet. The outside of our colony flooded but not the basement, it's an interesting thing. We have steps to walk up to a platform, and then go into the basement, so water is stopped by these steps. But the ramps for the cars are on the shallower side so there's not much water ingress there. Touchwood.
Attached Thumbnails
The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_234455.jpg  

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!-20201017_235504.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 18th October 2020 at 19:23.
viXit is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 19:51   #1510
BHPian

attaching for your info
Attached Images

Old 18th October 2020, 21:34   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the right time to point out that waterlogging is one word? No? I thought not

But hey, if there is one thing more important than language, in a flood, it is staying away from electricity!

How are mains cabinets like that usually set up? Input from the bottom, output lines leaving from the top? How is it done in countries where they have mad-crazy-strict-detailed rules about cabling that they do actually enforce?

Never had to think about this before, for internal stuff, but it makes sense that all incoming conduit should be facing up at the end, and that there should be a drain point.

Would be interested to know the professional/legal answer?

No idea about the reported deaths. But I seem to remember reports of people being swept away.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 01:29   #1512
BHPian

Heard it's raining like crazy in Bangalore and a warning has been issued. Stay safe guys.
djjebs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:08   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it was pouring cats and dogs for 3 hours straight. Our garden is under water. Its going to be like this on 21st-22nd as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
Heard it's raining like crazy in Bangalore and a warning has been issued. Stay safe guys.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 11:33   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Well , I am one who loves rains and used to long for the drizzles to come down. As a family , we love the monsoons and we have enough and more road trips done during monsoons. But , I must confess , the rains are getting a bit boring now. Come on , it’s October. Monsoons are over. Ganesha festival is done with.

The rains of yesterday at Bangalore was really something else. The intensity with which it poured for 3 straight hours is something I haven’t seen in a long time at Blr.

This is one rare moment where I am looking for some sunshine. We have run out of clothes lines and hangers and we are waiting for the damp clothes to be sun dried.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 17:17   #1515
BHPian

BHPians, please keep checking your basements. Another BHPian in hyd lost his immaculately maintained Fiesta 1.6 S to the floods. Don't want to see another one bite the proverbial dust.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks