Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2008, 16:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The "It's raining in my city" Thread!

Oh man!! It rained like crazy just now. the past one hour saw really really heavy rain.

A friend called up and commented that I was just sitting at home anbd I got the urge to go for a ride in the rain. Immediately picked up my helmet and bike keys and was off !!

Rode for abt 30 mins....Not very fast, but it was immensely enjoyable nevertheless !!
Old 30th March 2008, 16:17   #2
BHPian

Till a few years back, when I was in Calcutta, I had a bicycle that had no mudguards and skinny tyres and a nice ten speed. I used to often ride out in the rain, wearing a t shirt and a pair of shorts, and a cap to keep the dirt from the rear wheel out of my hair.

I can understand your enjoyment. Good for you. Enjoy.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:36   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 View Post

Rode for abt 30 mins....Not very fast, but it was immensely enjoyable nevertheless !!

tell me about it. I rode some 13 hours in the rain last week.
AWESOME.

don't forget to grease the chain.
Old 30th March 2008, 17:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Just think in the other angle. Why take the risk? The roads will be very slippery when it rains and god forbid if you skid and there might be injury to you. Why give the hard time to your parents?
Old 30th March 2008, 17:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

@snaronikar: you sound like my mum in law, who once asked me , "Aap ki ammi aapko kuch nahi bolti hain kya."

does your mom not tell u anything.

am sorry if offense taken, was not intended.

Last edited by bblost : 30th March 2008 at 17:53. Reason: added sorry
Old 30th March 2008, 17:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

have the rain gods come early this year, just like 2005.

Time to get flooded.
Old 30th March 2008, 18:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@snaronikar: you sound like my mum in law, who once asked me , "Aap ki ammi aapko kuch nahi bolti hain kya."

does your mom not tell u anything.

am sorry if offense taken, was not intended.
: Guys, I'am just cautioning you people. But if you want to take your own way, let it be so. Put yourself in their shoes and think how it will be...

Be more sensible in your thinking and responsibilities. You may not only be the hazardous to yourself, but you will be causing more trouble to other motorists.

Last edited by snaronikar : 30th March 2008 at 18:46.
Old 30th March 2008, 19:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@snaronikar ---- I agree with you. But there is a risk in everything you do. You drive a car at 40kmph in the left lane and a drunk truck driver could come and smash your car. You could be crossing the road and get hit. You could be standing outside your house and get hit by lightning.

It's all abt minimising the risks. I wore my helmet. Rode slowly and avoided the main roads (it didnt matter anyway, because of the rain the roads were practically empty. Even cars had parked ).
Old 30th March 2008, 19:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Today we had planned visiting Cubbon Park when we started at 3PM heavy rain started so we changed our plan and drove towards Iscon we ended in mahalaxmi layout anjeneya Temple and nice place to visit excellant Temple. We enjoyed today's rain also kids. They played in every seat so my newly serviced Innova cleaning once more now.

Background Behind Rain: All over Karnataka its happenning this time.

This year weather is very bad, very much inconsistant, Karnataka farmars saw rain in December 2007, Feb. 2008 now rain again in March. Every crop is affected, very sad :( situation.

When I visited Kemmangundi 2 weeks back I felt so bad about it after seeing coeffe seeds there. Then I went to my native place to see all most all farmars gone nuts about this bad weather.

According to weather analyst next year also same type of bad weather is expected, so bad days head for farmars. I feel so sorry for poor ones, I started hunting more work for me so I can increase my limit to help such people!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 30th March 2008 at 19:42.
Old 30th March 2008, 19:57   #10
Senior - BHPian

snaronikar: Couple of things.

Firstly, bikers love the rain. Its inexplicable to start with

Secondly, with enough water all around, the tyres manage enough grip. Issue is really when you get water or worse oil/slick on the road when you're expecting none. And I'm assuming here that our friends use their grey matter well - so it isnt really unsafe. Its more to do with perception. And hey, in our urban concrete jungles you anyways get water/puddles/potholes anytime/place. So riding in the rain is predictable and often slower in comparison
Old 30th March 2008, 20:09   #11
BHPian

Riding in the rain can only be experienced, not explained. However, it pays to be careful. You will find a lot of inconsiderate souls in 4 or more wheelers, dry and in relative comfort drive through puddles spraying you with dirty water in the process.

I tend to ride around my colony during rains. But nothing to beat encountering rain when you are on a bike on a long highway trip - bliss...

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 30th March 2008, 20:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

I rode a RE thunderbird in heavy rains in chennai in 2005 with my wife as pillion. still remember those days.
Old 31st March 2008, 00:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well with the way some of the four wheeler nuts drive in the rain.. everybody wants to be a Senna !!

No consideration for pedesterians or other two wheelers.. just swooshing water over one and all...

Am worried about such early rains. You need a nice hot summer to get a good monsoon !! I'm enjoying silky slippery roads in my area. Excellent drifting can be done... :-)

Last edited by csentil : 31st March 2008 at 00:31.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday afternoon i went for a drive on the Old Madras road. It was not raining at that time. I drove till some distance after Kolar and then headed back. I had not seen a single drop of rain till then. I enter Bangalore and imagine my surprise! The city is flooded!! Bannerghatta road is closed! So had to take some backroads to get home. Took me two hours!
Old 31st March 2008, 11:24   #15
Team-BHP Support

Raining cats, dogs and hail

Am scared to park the car in open, what if the hail is lil too big in size? Park under a tree, well yday saw roads littered with tree branches after the rains, and what about lightning? trees attract them.

So what do i do about parking my car in such scenario, where i dont have a covered car park?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks