Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2008, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is very bad news. Bad publicity for Xbhp.com too. It was a great feat that Gurpreet was trying, but he should have done it with full permission from the relevant authorities. Hope this was not done with support and approval from Xbhp. They shouldnt support it.

The article also says that no medical help was available. He endangered himself and also others who use the road. If he gets punished for this, I would only say..........just serves him right !!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Totally agree with Sunny's statments, none of the xbhpian's go stuntin like mad on the streets without precautions.
Hopeless, our media people are!
Lets not trash the media. Where is the permission that the forum has taken to conduct this? There is no mention of it. I could see vehicles moving fast in the other lanes. Is that safe?? How do you justify this?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 31st March 2008 at 20:01.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Totally agree with Sunny's statments, none of the xbhpian's go stuntin like mad on the streets without precautions.
that's a strong statement. do you know the current strength of XBHP?

and whatever the extent of precaution and preparation may be, wheeling on a public road can NOT be justified. neither for personal pleasure, nor for announcing to the world.

I think the best for XBHP would be to issue an official apology and refrain from doing such stunts.

@mail4ajo, authorities will never give such permission unless they have a pilot car in front and back, ambulance etc with them, and I do not expect taxpayers to pay for that.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:20   #18
BHPian

There might not be a reason to trash the media as xbhp.com was caught in the wrong side of the fence by not taking permission but it is surely a reason for trashing the media for not making a hype when rides like GIR, GAUR completed successfully with all the safety gears. Now that's a reason to trash the media. Anyway, as many have said, hope this huge feat is tried again with the permission of the required people and proper arrangements and achieved successfully.
Old 31st March 2008, 20:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lets not trash the media.
As far as thrashing ... errrr... trashing the media is concerned,
They say the stunt was performed at 100kmph!!!! (are they nuts, how could one do a 100kmph wheelie on a karizma???, is it possible at all on bikes other than superbikes??)

One more:( i think this walks away with the trophy)
The news channels edited the video according to their convenience(you know time constraint!!) they could have as well showed the good things which the xbhp folks were talking such as the safety gear, no racing on the roads and completely chop of the stunt(if they thought it wasnt the right thing). But that story would not fetch much masala as the stunt story would do.
And some media report talking about a "10 horse power bike" referring to a superbike crash.
"oh man you know its a 10 horse power bike!!, they crushed 10 horses and squeezed into the bike frame, where is Menakaji???"

few more reports:

i feel the following reports are unbiased:

Expressway stunt: 21-year-old’s wheelie fails to impress cops, inquiry ordered - ExpressIndia.Com

Attempt to make world record leads to jail

raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 31st March 2008 at 20:47.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:16   #20
BHPian

Just got news that Sunny (xBhp admin) has been detained by the police in connection with the record wheelie attempt. Now I wouldn't bank 100 per cent on the source I got this info from but something is surely cooking.

I guess some xBhp Delhi members/moderators can shed light on this.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

This thread shouldnt have been here.

Sad that he happened to be part of xBhp.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:35   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Just got news that Sunny (xBhp admin) has been detained by the police in connection with the record wheelie attempt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny from xbhp.com
Sky is released now and is back at home. It is not as bad as it sounds in the media. He was made to write that he wont do such kind of thing again. He was chanred with reckless driving
This was quoted by Sunny about 4 hrs back, so it is definitely a rumor. This was a mistake and he has agreed to it also but he was sad that the media who had come to record the whole thing was called to see the safety gear used to do such stunts. The mistake was not taking proper measures. But media took the other side of the story and made full masala out of it. I am not surprised.

Lets let this thread R.I.P. Think this event unfortunately got much more attention than the good things these guy have got into.

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st March 2008 at 21:47. Reason: Quote fixed
Old 31st March 2008, 21:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
This thread shouldnt have been here.
here in the sense that this shouldnt be in the motorbikes section right??

I feel the same.

Where shall this be moved to??

How about in the shifting gears as media bashing / thrashing / trashing is happening.

How about a new section as a whole "News and Media". I think I should also post this in the "suggestions" thread.

Mods please change the title to: (i think you have already edited the title twice)
"biker arrested for stunting on Public road"
OR
"stunter arrested for stunting on Public road"

IMO, the title puts that forum in some negative light. The stunter is a biker first then a member of a forum.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 31st March 2008 at 21:53.
Old 31st March 2008, 21:59   #24
BHPian

When drunk truck drivers can get away after being caught, how can a kid trying a crazy stunt end up in Jail. I guess the cops just wanted to quell a massive upsurge in high profile stuntung, and serve a precautionary warning to the biking community.
-GG
Old 31st March 2008, 22:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
and whatever the extent of precaution and preparation may be, wheeling on a public road can NOT be justified. neither for personal pleasure, nor for announcing to the world.
I agree with you. Problem is I still occassionally do wheelie when there's no mama's around. Honestly the thrill you get at the twist of a throttle is underscribable.

Last edited by highwayblaze : 31st March 2008 at 22:21.
Old 31st March 2008, 22:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayblaze View Post
I agree with you. Problem is I still occassionally do wheelie when there's no mama's around. Honestly the thrill you get at the twist of a throttle is underscribable.
Of course. all of us do stupid things at one point or the other.
The problem here is an established online forum still trying to approve of the mischief.
Old 31st March 2008, 23:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

arghh, i hate thinkpad. here's the reposted post.

Let's all take a chill pill.

a. Since Sunny isnt on here, no point getting anal about not taking permission/ambulances for the record attempt or about questionable media partners like aajtak who are the scumbags of the country.
b. As for safety, a biker on one wheel in 8 lanes of bliss is infintely safer than an auto doing 50 kph on right lane in gurgaon expressway and causing a pileup (just came seeing the same). And we're much more full of guys who're doing 120-150 kph on much thinner roads than one dude holding a wheelie for 12km (he can't maneuver for nuts - its just straiiiiight and nothing else) at like 40-50 kph he's harmless as can be. So please, let's take a reality check. And the next guy who posts about him being unsafe, please cross your heart and only post if you've never done more than 60-70 on two lane roads.

People take big risks for big dreams. Let's empathise than equate him with the dude who does a 20m wheelie to impress a chick. 12km is the stuff of masters - this is real talent we are talking about brothers. You need to see him do it to witness poetry on one wheel!

@Vivek: One man's mischief is another's art. Easier typed behind a computer screen than witnessed his graceful performance on one wheel. TBHP doesn't go about preachy to everyone who does 120-150 on public roads in 1-2 ton behemoths, does it?

@Others: It is gurpreet 'sunny' matharu, the stunter, who was arrested; not sundeep 'sunny' gujjar, the xbhp owner. and gurpreet is out on 10k bail. Its just the police showing that they have taken action. They have frankly more important things than chase down a boy trying to realize his dream.

Last edited by phamilyman : 31st March 2008 at 23:34.
Old 1st April 2008, 01:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

After watching the video footage from the ibn website:

i found out that TATA 407 can go at more than 100kmph (mind you the ZMA was doing 100kmph, so the truck must be doing excess of 100kmph) It makes it a "performance vehicle". Doesnt it??

hey i also see a commuter Bike towards the end of the video clipping. (which one is it??)

If anyone of you were present when stunt was being performed noticed any other 'Performance vehicle' which we have ignored please let the rest of the team-bhp know about it.

raj.
Old 1st April 2008, 01:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

@Vivek: One man's mischief is another's art. Easier typed behind a computer screen than witnessed his graceful performance on one wheel. TBHP doesn't go about preachy to everyone who does 120-150 on public roads in 1-2 ton behemoths, does it?
are you trying to say that watching him do it would be much difficult than sitting behind my computer and typing this? I agree , good that i was not there.

and about tbhp, i am sure we would go all preachy if the 1-2 ton behemoth was doing donuts or wheelies on 2 wheels on public highway.

So you agree that he is so passionate towards his dreams that he is ready to break a law or two, right?
Old 1st April 2008, 02:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

My points are as follows:
a. Firstly, the boy has immense talent. He does it smoothly and so cleanly its a class apart. So he's not your average roadside romeo out to impress chicks.
b. The safety angle is about vehicles being a danger/nuisance to others on the expressway. A biker on one wheel (0.25 ton at max) would typically be 40-50 or 60 at max and would do a straight line.
Compare that with a 2.5 ton fully loaded tavera/innova cab zigzagging on the highway. Or the safari gent I met today, full horns blaring, 4 HIDs glowing, yet weaving in traffic at excess of 100 on the gurgaon expressway.

The biker at max can get himself killed. The car guy doing 120-150 is capable of much more damage should lane discipline be non-existent ( a la most Indian highways). So my point is that while he didn't respect the law, the brouhaha over safety pretty much pales if we juxtapose his video with that of a typical call center tavera.

So let's just cut the boy some slack, shall we?

PS: Rhetorical case in point, nothing against rahul here but its just the thread I happen to be viewing! http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...lio-1-6-a.html - no one goes anal on why/where he's doing 140-150 (thrice the speed limit) or bottle for the same reason. Gurpreet took care by selecting less traffic/morning etyadi. So chill maadi.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st April 2008 at 02:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks