Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Does it make sense to scrap parking fees in Bangalore?
Yup, absolutely. I am sick of this daylight robbery. 9 45.00%
Nope. We need attendants to make people park properly 10 50.00%
Whatever 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

No parking fees in Bangalore. Does it make sense?

Hi

Bangalore Mahanigam Palike is planning to scrap the parking fees in Bangalore. In some ways it makes sense because you dont want to pay 4 to 5 bucks for parking for just 5 - 10 minutes! On the other hand, you cant help but wonder that wont it throw traffic out of gear as people will now park wherever they can, however they can?

What do you all think?

Oh by the way, the BMP intends to make up for the loss of revenue from ad firms who put up hoardings!?!

Cheers
Amitoj
Source : The Hindu, Jan 28: http://www.hindu.com/2005/01/29/stor...2917610300.htm

Last edited by amitoj : 2nd February 2005 at 11:33.
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

The whole idea is going to throw traffic out of gear. People are going to park wherever and however they want. So, this is not a good idea IMO.
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:35   #3
Team-BHP Support

People need to pay for the privaeldge - for the Rs 5 , guys do kep an eye on the car and help you park. It is a ruse to get the contractors to pay more slush money in my opinion
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Actually radio city is also asking people what their opinion is about all this. One person said that its a good thing that they are scrapping this parking fees. His reasoning was that now that people wont have to pay for parking, they wont park in "no parking" zones anymore to save money. Gotta admit there is some logic behind this.
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
guys do kep an eye on the car and help you park. It is a ruse to get the contractors to pay more slush money in my opinion
Actually ajmat, i have rarely seen them help anyone park... except on major roads. Most of the times, they are nowhere to be seen except when you have managed to get ur car out and are about to leave.
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:51   #6
BHPian

With all this heavy traffic and one ways and all, this is the last thing they should have done.... Now there'l be more problems handling traffic..
Bad decision this.. Hope they'l reconsider..
Old 2nd February 2005, 11:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Gotta admit there is some logic behind this.
There is no logic behind this. Tomorrow, if a guy goes to a shop that's 400 meters from a free parking area and at the same time sees a no parking area thats just 50 meters away, what do you think he'll do. Park his car 400 meters away and then walk?

People look an convenience first and logic later.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd February 2005, 13:16   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj
people wont have to pay for parking, they wont park in "no parking" zones anymore to save money. Gotta admit there is some logic behind this.
Its the traffic police duty to ensure that no one parks in the No Parking zone. Parking fees has got nothing to do with this.

Apart from this, so far i never felt the pain of paying the parking fees. For 2-wheelers it was like 1.50Rs.

Frankly I don’t know why these guys started this no parking fee business at all. Guess it’s a trick to divert the people’s attention from the bigger problem the city is facing like so many unfinished flyovers all over the city. Remember the deadlines the BMP putup with that sorry note.

Last edited by gkrishn : 2nd February 2005 at 13:18.
Old 2nd February 2005, 13:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Frankly I don’t know why these guys started this no parking fee business at all. Guess it’s a trick to divert the people’s attention from the bigger problem the city is facing like so many unfinished flyovers all over the city. Remember the deadlines the BMP putup with that sorry note.
The official reason for this move is definitely hard to believe!! They are saying that this will stop unauthorized contractors from collecting parking fee. They are also saying that this will end the nexus between corrupt govt officials and contractors. This is a typical example of throwing the baby out with the dirty water!!

I certainly dont mind paying parking fee when i park my vehicle for more than half an hour. But i certainly dont want to pay 5 bucks if i parked my car for two minutes to go get some chewing gum! Its not a question of how much is 3 or 4 or 5 bucks as a percentage of wot i earn... its a question of whether those rupees are well spent or not. In Forum mall, u dont have to pay any parking fee if u r getting out within 15 minutes.
Old 2nd February 2005, 13:58   #10
Senior - BHPian

You know what's gonna happen now. People are gonna park their cars in one spot for hours bcoz they don't have to pay anything for it. Fluency of getting parking spaces will be as good as NIL.

All those people who used to remove their cars, just to avoid being charged the extra 5 bucks will no longer bother doing it.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd February 2005, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
All those people who used to remove their cars, just to avoid being charged the extra 5 bucks will no longer bother doing it.
Really?? Who does that? I normally thank my stars if i find a parking place! Sometimes if i have to move around a lot in the MG Road area, i park my car and move around in an auto to go to commercial street, manipal center etc etc, jus so that i dont have to hunt for a parking spot!
Old 2nd February 2005, 14:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really?? Who does that? I normally thank my stars if i find a parking place!
Just wait and watch, from now on, you wont even get the chance to thank your stars (unless you plan to park your car on it) Hehe.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd February 2005, 14:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Just wait and watch, from now on, you wont even get the chance to thank your stars (unless you plan to park your car on it) Hehe.

Shan2nu
"To the moon and back" would be wot i would listen to while parking in that case.
Old 2nd February 2005, 14:36   #14
BHPian

The state of parking around bangalore is pathetic as it is. Atleast those parking attendants managed to squeeze as many vehicles into the parking space as possible.
Now with absolutely nobody to instruct people on where to park their vehicles, it is going to be absolutely chaos.
And parking a bike around MG road and stuff on weekends is next to impossible anyways. Finding a parking spot for a car is even worse. Whenever i head towards MG road on weekends i take a rick. Costs only about 20 bucks and saves me a lot of trouble too.
Old 2nd February 2005, 14:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Duh

One question. Do they tow cars in Bangalore or not? Was just wondering since no one mentioned that as yet

Dippy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks