Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2005, 17:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda City Crazy. Please Help

Iam attracted to looks of the HONDA CITY right from 1999. I used to chase city that got caught in my sight & enjoy watching city sailing in the roads of Chennai.

Now Iam willing to purchased an used car. The limit for me is Rs.3,00,000/-. Iam aware that I will not be able to get a good car with my specifications for Rs.3L. Hence I extented it to Rs.4 L (Rs.1L for the craze )

I was cautious in finalizing the deal as most of the Used Car dealers in Chennai drove the market to their comfort. I studied the market through the interactions with the dealers and consultants to finalize the specifications of my "CAR WANTED" as below

Model: 1999, 2000 or 2001
Ownership - Single
Make: 1.3 or 1.5 exi
Mileage-below 40K
Price bracket- Rs.3.5L or Rs.4L

There are few deals which fit in my specifications went away due to various reasons. It has been 5 months since I begun my hunt for City.

Is there anything wrong in my specifications?

What is the other alternative car for HONDA?
Old 2nd February 2005, 17:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

I WALKED AWAY FROM ONE DEAL

MODEL:1999 APRIL
MAKE: 1.3 EXI
MILEAGE: 26K with service records
Ownership: one
Tax: One time paid
Price: 3.6 Lakhs (not negotiable)

I felt this is a premium price, Hence walked away from that deal. This deal is still open. Does it worth taking it forward?
Old 2nd February 2005, 18:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you should have a problem getting a 2000, 1.5 model for around 4. But i'm not sure how many of them will have a mileage of less than 40K.

If you're looking fo a peppy car then try and stay away from a 1.3 . You'd be happier in an Esteem.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 2nd February 2005 at 18:18.
Old 2nd February 2005, 18:14   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURPRISE
I WALKED AWAY FROM ONE DEAL

MODEL:1999 APRIL
MAKE: 1.3 EXI
MILEAGE: 26K with service records
Ownership: one
Tax: One time paid
Price: 3.6 Lakhs (not negotiable)

I felt this is a premium price, Hence walked away from that deal. This deal is still open. Does it worth taking it forward?
26k in so many yrs. weird good price i guess for 3.4
Old 2nd February 2005, 18:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

we sold our 1.3, 2000 dec for 380 that should be a pointer to help, single owner 30 k kms
Old 2nd February 2005, 19:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

@shan2nu: sorry for goin OT but man do u mean to say Esteem is more peppier than the City 1.3 ??
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURPRISE
What is the other alternative car for HONDA?

how about the baleno or the Ikon 1.6.both of them are as good as the older city if not better.

satya
Old 2nd February 2005, 20:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but man do u mean to say Esteem is more peppier than the City 1.3
Yes it is, see the thing is, the 1.3 produces around 90 bhp and the Esteem has 85 but, the Esteem is almost 105 kgs lighter than the City 1.3.

The Esteem is one quick car, but it suffers from a small engine. Infact the Esteem is as quick or quicker than the Baleno upto 100kmph. This car with a Baleno engine will be very hard to beat.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd February 2005, 02:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Do u guys think the old honda city 1.3 (first batch) is faster than the current lancer thats 86 bhp?
Old 3rd February 2005, 04:21   #10
BHPian

Please an esteem better than a city 1.3, u must be joking until and unless u mean straight line racing, inspite of which it might be a tough call. The city has way better cornering breaking and can sustain much higher speeds.Basically depend on ur needs, if u need one for a drag, i would be really stupid to suggest a city 1.3, cause the esteem is lighter and can be better modded else the city 1.3 is leagues ahead of the esteem in real life driving. Yes the city 1.3 can't exactly be called peppy, i think only the ikon is peppy with its torque being produced at low rpm's of around 1800-2000, nor can any of the city's, cause most of them are high revving engines and produce bhp @ the higher revs.The only thing going for the esteem is that its light and its gear ratios enables it to attain 100kmph in a shorter time.

Once u are moving its the in gear acceleration that matters, what are u gonna do keep shifting to 2nd gear every time the needle goes below 100kmph cause it can do 150 in third.Thats the only way u can keep the esteem on the city's tail.

To make things more clearer the city 1.3 is 1345cc while the city 1.5 is 1455cc(or 1460), with a net difference of 10 bhp.

The city is different because it requires a good driver to be driven fast with really good gear changing unlike other cars like ikon which are just fast irrespective of the driver because of the higher torque at lower rpm.

If u need to know more check out the bsmotoring comparison between the city 1.3 and the viva @ bsmotoring.com.It should give u some idea.
Old 3rd February 2005, 10:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all for your time

What is meant by peppy car?

Does mileage has any impact on the price of the car?

On the alternatives that you had suggested, Iam okay with Baleno and not with any other cars. I don't know the technical advantages of the cars, hence Iam going by the looks of the car

Let me search for good ones (Honda), may be I will have the deadline as this monthend. If nothing materialize, I would go for another options.
Old 3rd February 2005, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do u guys think the old honda city 1.3 (first batch) is faster than the current lancer thats 86 bhp?
Absolutely. Power to weight is what matters here. The Lancer produces less power and is way heavier than the City 1.3.

Shan2nu
Old 3rd February 2005, 11:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is meant by peppy car?
A peppy car is one, that's always ready to go, at any given rpm. But not all peppy cars are fast, the Esteem is peppy, but only upto 100kmph beyond that, it loses it's rate of accelelration drastically.

Quote:
Does mileage has any impact on the price of the car?
Yes it does make a diff, but the model year of the car has a greter impact on a car's resale value. The diff in resale value of a 2000 Dec model and a 2001 Jan model will be
a lot (even though they're just a month apart).

Quote:
I don't know the technical advantages of the cars, hence Iam going by the looks of the car
Try and gather as much info about these cars as possible. Unless you know what you're looking for in a car, don't go in for one. And going by a car's look is the biggest mistake one can do. I know this as i used to think the lancer was the most powerful and the fastest car in the country (before i started reading about cars).

Quote:
Please an esteem better than a city 1.3, u must be joking until and unless u mean straight line racing, inspite of which it might be a tough call.
Ofcourse i meant in a straight line. On a track, i'd say they're equally matched, you never know who's gonna win.

Quote:
If u need to know more check out the bsmotoring comparison between the city 1.3 and the viva @ bsmotoring.com.It should give u some idea.
LOL, yeah i've read that, the City 1.3 actually managed times equal to that of the Viva. But the Viva is slow anyways (on paper it's a 103 bhp car but, on the road it feels like it's got 85 bhp).

But the Esteem is a different story, it's equally powerful and very light, but like you said, it's got tall gears which aren't driver friendly. And yes, the City does require a lot of smart shifting when driven really fast.

BS motoring - Viva vs City 1.3

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 3rd February 2005 at 11:09.
Old 3rd February 2005, 12:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

I come across one HONDA that was reregistered from Kerala. My friends are saying that reregistered vehicle is not advised to buy, if we opt to go for it, there is a price difference for it (meaning resale value will come down)

IS IT TRUE?
Old 4th February 2005, 01:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

hey SURPRISE,

a like hearted chennaiite to ur rescue. just pm me or call 9841222233.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks