Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Do you suffer from Nomophobia?

Nomophobia = No Mobile Phobia

Nomophobia = Fear of being without your cell phone.
Quote:
it seems that being out of mobile contact may be the 21st century’s latest contribution to our already hectic lives. Whether you have run out of credit or battery, lose your phone or are in an area with no reception, being phoneless can bring on a panicky symptom in our 24/7 culture.
Quote:
the number of anxious men exceeds that of women; they panic whenever they come across any of these problems. The study says about 58 percent of men and 48 percent of women are experiencing this new phobia; an additional nine percent feel stressed whenever their mobile phones are turned off.
Source: Nomophobia news.

Source: The Mobile Mag.
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

hmm.I was just reading the article in Mid-day... lolz i dont suffer from Nomophobia,I can be without it and i'd love too.
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:50   #3
BHPian

I can't stay without my phone - infact I carry two of them at any moment... don't ask me why!
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

I wonder what they call the fear of Holding Mobiles.
Old 3rd April 2008, 18:38   #5
BHPian

I know of a couple people who have this.

We were planning a trip to Mudhumalai forests, where cellphones don't work (only BSNL recently).

This chap was calling 10-12 people on the way there, explaining his phone will be off for 2 days.

After getting there, he was really nervous he was missing something.

I think people were a lot more organised before cellphones became common.
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

i am like this dont know why but cannt even leave the some without my cell phone and carry two of them so if one doesn't have the signal then i can use the other one
Old 3rd April 2008, 19:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

For a person who works in the industry, I can switch off my phone and disappear from the connected world for longish periods of time. There was a time (in my early days within the industry) when the lack of cellphone connectivity used to bring in a sort of panic, but I seem to have outgrown that - Guess what? life still goes on!!
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

I don't have this probelm.. in fact, I feel happy and relieved if I go out somewhere and then realize that I forgot my handy...

But you'll only feel this kind of a happiness if your manager has your mobile number.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

I actually like to go without my cell at times. Its my near & dear ones who force me else I would not carry most of the time.

Though I must say I was addicted to it once
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
For a person who works in the industry, I can switch off my phone and disappear from the connected world for longish periods of time. There was a time (in my early days within the industry) when the lack of cellphone connectivity used to bring in a sort of panic, but I seem to have outgrown that - Guess what? life still goes on!!
Steer, there's a better way than *switching off* your mobile. The problem with switching off is that, people will get the message "The number you've dialed is switched off" when they try to call you and they know that you did it intentionally.

Whenever I don't want to be disturbed on my cell by my dear manager, I just remove the battery and put it back -I go out of reach - the message other people get when they dial my number is "The number you've dialed cannot be reached". Later you can always say that you were out of coverage area or in the elevator or something like that.

Switching off - others will know that you've switched it off..
Removing battery - you are just out of reach!

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd April 2008 at 20:18.
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Switching off - others will know that you've switched it off..
Removing battery - you are just out of reach!
Oh i didn't know this. Will try it n see. LOL

Shan2nu
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:31   #12
BHPian

I feel the 'phobia' only when I suddenly realize after leaving home that I forgot to pick up my phone. And I go back to get it. Being out of coverage area does not bother me much. That again is temporary anyway, especially on the Dhaula Kuan-Naraina stretch (in Delhi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Oh i didn't know this. Will try it n see. LOL

Shan2nu
Oh yes, it works all right. The only thing better could be to be able to do that to selected numbers. Wonder if that's possible?
Old 3rd April 2008, 20:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

i panic when i have my cellphone with me, what phobia is that
Old 3rd April 2008, 21:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thank god, i dont suffer from it. I prefer to keep my mobile silent and forget about it till i really need it. I also switch it off on weekends to avaoid calls from my pesky manager.
Old 4th April 2008, 11:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

Losing loved ones is a highly common fear that most of us possess. Other phobias linked to water, heights, books and many more are also acceptable till date. However, can you believe that losing contact with your mobile phone would also lead to an anxiety?

The new study carried out by YouGov in UK stated that Britishers were more likely to be stressful without their mobile phones. Researchers have named the fear of being out of mobile phone contact as ‘Nomophobia’.

In the survey, 20 percent of the candidates felt as traumatic as though they were moving houses or breaking up with a partner, when they were out of mobile phone contact. YouGov mentioned that 53 percent of the UK’s 45 million mobile-phone users become anxious when their battery of the phone is down or when the network is low, or even if they lose their handset.

Stewart Fox-Mills, the head of telephony at the Post Office that commissioned the survey, noted that nomophobia affects many people. However, men (52 percent) are more likely to be mobile phone phobic as compared to women (48 percent).

Out of the 2,163 people who were questioned, more than 20 percent agreed that they never switched off their handsets, whereas 10 percent admitted that due to their job profile, they needed to be contactable all the time. While, over 55 percent people of the volunteers use their phone to be in contact with friends and family, 9 percent agreed that switching off the phone made them anxious.

Anxiety of being without Mobile Phones is known as Nomophobia

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks