Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2019, 18:57   #2866
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

That pitch was disgusting. Absolutely not worthy of a T20 game, much worse for the season opener. Not a good start for RCB, this wil put cobwebs in their minds.

Meanwhile, Pant's innings was brutal. Almost singlehandedly he's taken Delhi to a total which seemed out of MI's range. Yuvi looked rusty and eventually played some gob-smacking shots, only which he plays. Good to see him back.

Any reports on Bumrah's injury? I do not have any doubts that MI owners will push him to play irrespective of his injury. I only hope BCCI gets involved in this and takes the view of the Indian team's WC aspirations first. If should only be allowed to come back when he is cleared by BCCI's physio/medical team.
Old 25th March 2019, 20:13   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
That pitch was disgusting. Absolutely not worthy of a T20 game, much worse for the season opener.
For a change, the pitch was not a stereotype! Players had to dig into their repertoire for the skill to play the turning ball. CSK just managed and as usual, RCB was confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
RCB are just useless. The squad lacks balance. Too reliant on AbD, Kohli to work the magic.
RCB management is happy that Indian cricket captain is captaining their side. They overlook everything else.
Quote:
Bowling has always been a sore spot.
Bowling & batting of all teams are on par. RCB always gets something wrong or more often lose control of the game. The opposite team has to lose for RCB to win . Let's see if Gary Kirsten makes any difference in this edition.

Last edited by msdivy : 25th March 2019 at 20:22.
Old 25th March 2019, 21:20   #2868
Senior - BHPian

RCB lacks that one person who can play 'brutal'. With AB not being able to do that since last time, they can only play like a 50 over side. They dont seem to be made for T20. Even Kohli hasnt been able to do it.
Old 25th March 2019, 23:53   #2869
Distinguished - BHPian

Ashwin Mankad-ed Butler and the RR folded like a pack of cards. 13 overs 108-1 and then 62-8 in the next 7 overs. Controversial but completely legal dismissal by Ashwin turned the match in their favour. Sadly it completely shifted the focus away from Gayle, Sarfaraz and Butler's wonderful innings.
Old 26th March 2019, 00:17   #2870
Team-BHP Support

Sarfaraz looked very pedestrian, even though he made runs. And like a lot of others, I don't quite agree with what Ashwin did but he was within his rights to do it and he did. He is there to win matches, not popularity contests.

My only question - would he have done it to a Kohli or an MSD ? If yes, then I respect his decision. If no, then.....

Last edited by Eddy : 26th March 2019 at 00:30.
Old 26th March 2019, 00:44   #2871
BHPian

I cannot believe anyone can condone what Ashwin did. He deliberately waited for Butler to get out of the crease and then run him out. It was completely calculated.

Look at the replay from side on - you would see that Butler is in his crease till the time Ashwin has arms up to release and then the momentum takes him out - Ashwin stops, waits for him and then flicks the bails off.

Look at this:
https://twitter.com/NaeemMa90890610/...42327258456066

This is just so very wrong. I have lost every iota of respect for this man.
Attached Thumbnails
The IPL Thread-d2hoxluyaeeith.jpg  

Last edited by pratyush6 : 26th March 2019 at 00:47.
Old 26th March 2019, 07:49   #2872
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

So, what do you guys think about last night's run out in the KXIP vs RR match?

I am perfectly fine with it. The batsman took a risk & got out for his troubles
Old 26th March 2019, 09:09   #2873
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is just so very wrong. I have lost every iota of respect for this man.
+1 (Not every, but a lot)

Terrible, terrible sportsmanship from Ashwin. I was disgusted to be honest that he went for it, without even protesting about it first. Yes, Ashwin was within his rights. But the replays clearly showed that Butler wasn't doing it intentionally; I'd give him the benefit of doubt given how much he was out of the crease.

Like people have in the past, Ashwin should have first highlighted the act to the player and the umpire first. If repeated, run him out by all means.

Through the match, Ashwin never seemed to act like a captain. No show of encouragement; just a grim face sulking. Sure, he is not there to win popularity contests but he just doesn't seem like a leader. Neither at the Kohli end of the spectrum, nor the Dhoni, nor somewhere in between.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:44   #2874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Like people have in the past, Ashwin should have first highlighted the act to the player and the umpire first. If repeated, run him out by all means.
I felt bad for Butler too (and RR). But this not being the first time for him he should've been careful.
Let me attempt to be the devil's advocate. "Backing up" is considered unfair play as per the rules of the game. The batsmen (or rather the bat) are supposed to run 22 yards for a run. if he had already covered a certain distance it is unfair on the fielding side because the probability of running out (the normal run out) reduces by a considerable margin.'Mankad'ing is one of the very few bowler friendly laws in the heavily batsmen friendly game.

This is similar to a batsman not "walking" when the umpire has given not out but he knows that it is out. I think we should stop making Ashwin look like "the only" devil. I would actually blame the lawmakers of the game who write such unclear laws and fail to use common sense many other times.
Old 26th March 2019, 09:53   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
So, what do you guys think about last night's run out in the KXIP vs RR match?

I am perfectly fine with it. The batsman took a risk & got out for his troubles
The distance between the popping creases is around 19 yards. The batman has to run this distance to make a run. He was trying to get a headstart by walking a yard and which will ensure that he will have to run just 18 yards to make a run. When bowlers are penalized even for a centimetre for no-ball, why batsmen must get special privileges? All in the spirit of the game?
Old 26th March 2019, 10:32   #2876
BHPian

I see nothing wrong in what Ash did. All this clamor about spirit of the game is just to make the commentators and arm chair analysts feel good. It's a competitive game and as has been evident for the past few years, the odds are heavily stacked against the bowlers. The batsmen can sit, stand, lie down, switch hit and what not and everything is fine. The moment a bowlers arm comes in at an odd angle, he is banned for chucking, he can't change action while bowling or switch arms lest the batter gets confused. Fair enough.

Well then, why cry "spirit of the game" when a batsman gets caught outside his crease before the ball is released? Isn't the bowler simply following a cricketing rule?
Old 26th March 2019, 11:22   #2877
Senior - BHPian

What Ashwin did is perfectly fine, this is not as bad as during a straight drive, the non striker getting run out just because the ball nicked the bowler's fingers by fluke and hit the stumps.
Old 26th March 2019, 11:45   #2878
BHPian

The game already favors the batsman in many ways. Batsman can switch stance, can move around the crease and go out of the crease as well as deep inside it. Bowlers? a millimeter out of the popping crease and it's a no-ball (and a free hit in limited over cricket), a centimeter above head, it's a no ball; a full toss above waist high is a no ball, millimeter out on the leg side is a wide.

What do we expect? Batsman to walk half way down the pitch to meet the ball before it can swing/seam/drift/dip, and backing up batsman from the non-striker end running half way up before the ball being bowled? how is that OK?
Old 26th March 2019, 11:51   #2879
BHPian

In my opinion, the umpire should have called dead ball. If you look at the video carefully, you will notice that Ashwin starts the action to bowl. I believe the term is called loading up. At that time, Buttler is in the crease. Ashwin then deliberately stops his action, actually takes a half step and then turns back to break the stumps. Ashwin often pauses his action in T20 games which can cause some confusion for the non-striker.

If Ashwin had not started the action and Mankaded Buttler, this would be technically more acceptable. In any case, regardless of whether this is in the "spirit of the game", this was a very very petty action by our premier test match bowler. You should be using your skills to get a batsman out and not relying on this.

If you notice, Ashwin has been very vocal about his exclusion from the ODI and T20 teams over the last few days. Perhaps that frustration has spilled over onto the field which resulted in this. I cannot wait for the next Buttler vs Ashwin situation

It is imperative that the ICC outlaws Mankading. Perhaps the fielding team can complain to the umpire or the umpire can step in. Perhaps some form of penalty runs should be imposed.

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 26th March 2019 at 12:01.
Old 26th March 2019, 12:03   #2880
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
My only question - would he have done it to a Kohli or an MSD ? If yes, then I respect his decision. If no, then.....
There's no way Ashwin would have done something like this to Kohli or MSD. Ashwin from what we've seen over the years is a smart cricketer & from what i could make of it at that point in time he was desperate for the wicket of Butler as he was running away with the game.

Its the ICC & its administrators who have made the rules & nowhere 'spirit of the game' is defined !

Ashwin 'mankading' Steve Smith would have been more entertaining considering the Sandpapergate controvery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks