Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2019, 12:24   #2881
Team-BHP Support

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

Also, I hope you guys are aware that Jos Butler has been Mankaded before.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ut-jos-buttler
Old 26th March 2019, 13:58   #2882
BHPian

Came across this on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cricket/com...m_source=share

Ashwin should take a cue.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 26th March 2019 at 14:06.
Old 26th March 2019, 14:41   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Came across this on Reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Cricket/com...m_source=share

Ashwin should take a cue.
Love the theatrics of the Universe Boss

There is the famous incident where Courtney Walsh did not mankad Saleem Jaffar to win the game and go through to the World Cup semi-final.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wctimeli...ry/500463.html

Last edited by ranjitnair77 : 26th March 2019 at 14:43.
Old 26th March 2019, 14:46   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
Love the theatrics of the Universe Boss

There is the famous incident where Courtney Walsh did not mankad Saleem Jaffar to win the game and go through to the World Cup semi-final.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/wctimeli...ry/500463.html
Old enough to remember this as it happened It was very natural for Walsh to do it since he was a silent gentleman.
Old 26th March 2019, 14:47   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Do batsman feel bad or apologize for not walking when they nick the ball and stand there ground pretending they don't know anything?

Isn't Dhoni hailed as a hero when be waits for batsman to lift his feet and do the stumping?

Why should Ashwin feel bad or apologize?

He did what he felt was right and within the rules of the game. Why didn't buttler wait for the bowler to release the ball and then walk out of crease? Even in SL game couple of years back he was given out same way. And in that game he was even warned twice by Matthew's and still he kept on walking out. So, he is habitual of taking advantage and if the bowler is shrewd enough to see it and take action what's the problem in that?

And please with this spirit of cricket nonsense. All spirit of cricket stuff is only remembered when batsman needs advantage. If it's a law and its followed then its perfectly ok.

Btw I have seen this myself. Few months back in our club game my good mate at non striker end was given out same way. He didn't create a fuss cos he knew he was outside the crease and just walked off.

And before someone jumps on me I am primarily an opening batsman myself but in this case I will always support the bowler. They need it as game is too biased in batsman favor all the time.
Old 26th March 2019, 17:13   #2886
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

Isn't Dhoni hailed as a hero when be waits for batsman to lift his feet and do the stumping?

Exactly, if so called moral cricketers cannot digest this dismissal as run out, let it be called as stump and bowled Ashwin.
Old 26th March 2019, 18:28   #2887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Do batsman feel bad or apologize for not walking when they nick the ball and stand there ground pretending they don't know anything?

You are mixing up very different things. Lets focus on the incident at hand.

Coming back to what Ashwin did - the picture clearly shows that Butler was well within his crease given Ashwin's normal bowling stance and action. What the bowler did was that he waited for Butler to go out of his crease and then run him out. Was Butler trying to gain any advantage ? I fail to see it in any manner.
Again, I do not have a problem with Mankading as such. Run the batsman out when he is trying to gain an unnecessary advantage. But this wasn't it, it was blatant cheating.
The umpire should come in focus too, the moment he is within his delivery stride and stopped, that should have been called a dead ball. Unfortunately Ashwin will forever be known for this. I am so thankful that he is not in the team I like. The arrogant guy he is, he clearly lied in the PC & Match Presentation; it not being planned. Again, you can run out any batsman like this. He pretended to bowl,that is a first to me. A lot of WI bowlers have done this but they don't run people out.

Just disgusting, I hope BCCI acts here. Ex-cricketers have sided where their paymasters are. Anyone employed by BCCI (aka the commentators) are citing it's well within the law, while those even remotely neutral are lampooning Ashwin - which is the way it should be.

For everyone, I will link this video again:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1110354820181843969

Ashwin never intends to bowl, unfortunately for him against he might have hoped Butler wasn't way ahead, Ashwin wait for him to slide out and goes ahead with it.

Another question: How is the non-striker supposed to assume that a bowler won't actually bowl and stop in his delivery stride, right at the end?

Last edited by pratyush6 : 26th March 2019 at 18:37.
Old 26th March 2019, 19:31   #2888
Senior - BHPian

Is Mankading against the law of the game? No
Was Ashwin right to try it in the game? Yes.
Was the batsmen out? No. It was not legal as explained by Pratyush above. And the umpires should be under scanner.

Regarding people questioning mankading not being in the spirit of the game, they need to grow up. Its not against the law. When everything in the game is tilted towards the batsmen, one rule which is rightfully giving an opportunity for the bowling team to get a batsman out being called out is unfair.

Batsmen get benefit of doubt in switch hit, catches, stumpings and not walk if they have nicked it(not being gentleman there). But when these incidents happen everyone starts to cry hoarse.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 26th March 2019 at 19:33.
Old 26th March 2019, 21:45   #2889
Senior - BHPian

Hope this episode would help young cricket fans remember past Indian cricketers and their contributions; of course beginning with Vinoo Mankad .

On a saner note, Rajiv Shukla has clearly stated that Mankading had actually been discussed earlier, in a meeting of captains and it had been decided not to use it in IPL.

The IPL Thread-img_20190326_2132481026x1282.jpg

The IPL Thread-screenshot_20190326213217665_com.brave.browser1026x1043.png

SOURCE:

TOI
Twitter

Either his then captain hadn't briefed Ashwin about this, or being himself a captain now, he decided to leave a trail of his own
Old 27th March 2019, 01:11   #2890
Team-BHP Support

Well, there is an FAQ on this incident now: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ler-law-spirit

And Delhi continues with funny selections.. Lamichhane not making the 11 on a turning track ?
Old 27th March 2019, 18:47   #2891
BHPian

MCC has its own take on the incident:

"Some feel that Ashwin delayed his action to allow Buttler the chance to leave his ground and that Buttler was in his ground when he expected the ball to be released. If it was a deliberate delay, that would be unfair and against the Spirit of Cricket. Ashwin claims this not to be the case.

"The TV umpire had to make a decision and, under the Law (and indeed ICC's interpretation of them, which clarifies the expected moment of release as when the arm reaches its highest point), it was understandable how he opted to give Buttler out."
End of Quote

The underlined is all people are aghast about. It was deliberate and hence tantamount to cheating. I hope people can see that.
Old 28th March 2019, 19:35   #2892
BHPian

Further Update to this:

Now MCC amends its earlier position and has called it foul.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...it-cricket-mcc

This is all we have been harking about. Ashwin planned it, it just wasn't instinctive. And, then lied in an open PC and Interview.
Old 28th March 2019, 20:03   #2893
Senior - BHPian

In my opinion, the point is that it is not incumbent on Ashwin to declare it out nor not out.

That is the umpires' job - which, evidently, they failed to do.

Batsmen don't walk. Why should bowlers 'walk'?
Old 28th March 2019, 21:14   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Ashwin planned it, it just wasn't instinctive. And, then lied in an open PC and Interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
In my opinion, the point is that it is not incumbent on Ashwin to declare it out nor not out.

That is the umpires' job - which, evidently, they failed to do.

Batsmen don't walk. Why should bowlers 'walk'?
Folks - You need to respect the law.

Does the keeper give the batsman a warning? Why the bowler should give warning?

We are in an automobile forum and you think if you jump the signal when it's 'red' the policeman should give you a warning and not fine you or you can just stop your vehicle past the zebra crossing?

Respect the line, be it on the road or on the ground.
Old 28th March 2019, 21:36   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
We are in an automobile forum and you think if you jump the signal when it's 'red' the policeman should give you a warning and not fine you or you can just stop your vehicle past the zebra crossing?
I think why many are disappointed of Ashwin's action is because it seemed as if he deliberately slowed down and knocked the stump off. Buttler left the crease when Ashwin should have delivered the ball had he not slowed down.

If we compare it with the red light signal - Imagine you are approaching a signal and its red and the timer indicates just 1 second left. You slow down your car but at the same time you keep a steady pace since its only less than a second to turn green, but to your dismay the light never becomes green when it was expected to and by the time you realize it you had already crossed the zebra line and there comes a policeman walking towards you.
A tough situation to be in!
Can the driver be blamed entirely for it?

Last edited by Sherlocked : 28th March 2019 at 21:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks