Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2019, 21:40   #2896
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I think why many are disappointed of Ashwin's action is because it seemed as if he deliberately slowed down and knocked the stump off. Buttler left the crease when Ashwin should have delivered the ball had he not slowed down.
It was a super super slow motion where each frame was for 5 seconds. Look at it in actual speed and it's perfectly normal. Mind you, Ashwin said it was instinctive so you need to trust the guy just like how people say that Butler just dozed off and was not looking to run. If you trust both on their words then you need to go by the law. Looks like many people are bringing spirit of the game just as an excuse. Where is the spirit of the game when people appeal for caught behind where there is no edge. Butler himself has appealed for such catches innumerable times.
Old 28th March 2019, 22:00   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
It was a super super slow motion where each frame was for 5 seconds. Look at it in actual speed and it's perfectly normal.
I had come across a side by side comparison of his normal delivery style versus the controversial delivery to Buttler. There was indeed a hesitation in his run up. Can't find the clip since its been taken off due to a copyright strike.

Just for fun, here's a clip from 2012 where he mankaded in Ind vs SL match and appealed as well but the umpire's discussion with Sehwag and Sachin just left the non striker with a warning.
The guy does keep a sharp vision on his right.

Old 28th March 2019, 23:09   #2898
BHPian

While we are debating about Ashwin's lack of following spirit of game, why is nobody questioning about Jos Butler's lack of sportiveness in not accepting the decision that he was out of crease and asking Ashwin for a warning? Is that not covered in MCC's spirit of the game rules? Different Yardsticks?
Old 29th March 2019, 00:20   #2899
Team-BHP Support

Wow, Hardik was a meter outside the crease backing up at the non-strikers end today. I now agree with Harsha Bhogale - this has got to end.

And the umpiring error of the last ball actually cost Bangalore the match today. Horrible.
Old 29th March 2019, 11:13   #2900
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
why is nobody questioning about Jos Butler's lack of sportiveness in not accepting the decision
Jos Butler walked of hurling out expletives for which ideally he should have been warned by the Match Referee but nothing of that sort happened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And the umpiring error of the last ball actually cost Bangalore the match today. Horrible.
Not necessarily. As Ravi Shastri would say during his commentary days - 'All 3 results possible'. Dubey did not bother to run off the last ball, so if no ball was called they would still have needed 6 to get. In the previous over of Bumrah a wide was called though the ball was clearly inside the tram line. So i guess it evens out in the end. Exciting game nonetheless.

RCB choked because they rely very heavily on Virat & ABD and nobody else. Both score almost 50% of their runs.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:12   #2901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If RCB was counting on last ball no-ball to win the match, good luck to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
RCB choked because they rely very heavily on Virat & ABD and nobody else. Both score almost 50% of their runs.
RCB has only 3 players in-form (Parthiv, Kohli & ABD). But they come before No 5. There is no one to play in the death overs. RCB needs in-form No 6, 7 & 8s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
This is all we have been harking about. Ashwin planned it, it just wasn't instinctive. And, then lied in an open PC and Interview.
Whether planned or not, the decision was reviewed by 3rd umpire and was given out. If the decision is again reviewed now by umpires, it will still out as per laws of cricket. If the cricketing tradition & culture prevent on enforce 'Mankading', then it must be left to individuals whether they comply with social norms or not. Ashwin is being unfairly treated as an outcast.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:43   #2902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not necessarily. As Ravi Shastri would say during his commentary days - 'All 3 results possible'. Dubey did not bother to run off the last ball, so if no ball was called they would still have needed 6 to get. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
If RCB was counting on last ball no-ball to win the match, good luck to them .
Of course the victory was not set in stone, but with the disappointment of bowling a no-ball and ABD on strike - I'd have put my money on RCB.

And yesterday's match was an example of how players like Hetmeyer need to evolve. There is no way that hitting Bumrah off the first ball after a break was a percentage shot, even more so when you'd played only 5 balls.

Lower middle order is a bog problem for them, no doubt. I hope Stoinis can provide some relief, albeit only for about 20 odd days.
Old 29th March 2019, 18:25   #2903
BHPian

Quote:
Dubey did not bother to run off the last ball, so if no ball was called they would still have needed 6 to get.
Umpire signals a no ball immediately. So the batsman would've definitely taken a run had he seen the no ball sign.

As Kohli said, its not club cricket they are playing. The umpire shouldn't have missed that no ball. Would have added the excitement, nonetheless, with ABD on strike. Even a four would've equaled the scores.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd April 2019 at 12:52. Reason: Spacing
Old 31st March 2019, 18:00   #2904
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely looks like RCB have bowled themselves out of this match against SRH - What a display of powerful batting by Bairstow and Warner, they were on fire. Despite beng an RCB fan, I can't help
Old 1st April 2019, 11:14   #2905
BHPian

RCB doing what RCB does best - lose most of the first half of the tournament only to huff and puff towards the end.
Old 1st April 2019, 23:56   #2906
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi committed suicide. They lost 7wkts for 8runs in the last 17 deliveries of their innings. Absolutely terrible batting...everyone wants to hit sixers and become heroes. From run a ball, they got it to 15 overs off the last over.
Old 2nd April 2019, 00:06   #2907
Team-BHP Support

Terrible terrible batting. Each one thought that the next one would do it anyway, so let me have a go.
Old 2nd April 2019, 00:11   #2908
anb
BHPian

I feel that most of the matches are fixed. I won't watch them these days and prefer tournaments like old Sharjah cup in April
Old 2nd April 2019, 00:15   #2909
Team-BHP Support

I can still imagine spot fixing taking place, but match fixing is a stretch. At least I hope so.
Old 2nd April 2019, 09:45   #2910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
prefer tournaments like old Sharjah cup in April
Sharjah was the hot bed of match fixing!

Most Viewed