Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2023, 17:59   #3466
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

Another thing to consider on a lighter side is that not many test matches last more than 3 days So its easier on the bodies. You don't need to lift heavy weights and build muscles to have flexibility and strength. Maybe they should pick appropriate Yoga asanas and integrate with other exercises.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 13th April 2023 at 18:01.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:49   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Sir Hadlee played 342 First class matches and another 317 List A matches...
That said, I would agree that Kohli is one of the fittest players today.
Kohli has 140 1st Class and 308 List A matches as well.

The boy is no slouch.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 20:33   #3468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Kohli has 140 1st Class and 308 List A matches as well.

The boy is no slouch.
Has it occurred to you that Sir Hadlee was an all rounder? That bowling, especially fast bowling takes a lot out of one's body? Not to forget that first class matches are much more taxing on the body due to four or five days of cricket, not 4 hours like a T20 - Sir Hadlee's first class record is enough to even the numbers. Nothing to demean Kohli. He is an example of fitness. But the comparison is not like to like.

Conventional wisdom is often underrated. But it says that more muscle and less fat is an invitation for injuries. There needs to be a fine balance. It could be possible that the current players are. Getting injured more often as they all look towards same ideas of fitness than what's required for their trade and profession? Who knows?
theabstractmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2023, 22:30   #3469
BHPian

One thing to consider regarding the T20 matches (although short duration) is the high pressure of the games. I believe it takes more mental toll compared to a one day match.
Old 16th April 2023, 02:54   #3470
Team-BHP Support

Captaincy master class by KL Lol today.

#Sarcasm
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2023, 21:27   #3471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Captaincy master class by KL Lol today.
I don’t get this
Old 17th April 2023, 12:29   #3472
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I don’t get this
Hey, it was just a sarcastic take on KL Rahul's captaincy the other day. The decision of not getting Bishnoi to bowl till the 15th over has baffled everyone.

What a comeback by RR yesterday. And I completely agree with Harsha Bhogale - Sanju Samson has to start in EVERY T20 game that India plays.
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2023, 21:10   #3473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. What were the reasons that he was ‘removed’ from test captaincy?
Sorry, I missed this. We continuously discussed this during Kohli's captaincy period in the Cricket thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...hread-632.html (The Cricket Thread)

Virat Kohli is a superstar cricketer. He brought fitness culture to Indian cricket. The power he generates in some of his shots is unbelievable. There is no doubt as a batsman he is a match-winner. In fact, I will say Kohli has won more ODI matches for India than Tendulkar.

Coming to his captaincy tenure, he became captain during the tussle between BCCI & Supreme Court. BCCI took a back seat amidst the Lodha Committee recommendation. A new power center emerged, which is India captain Kohli. He had a say in team selection, series schedule, appointments, etc.

Few fallouts;
1) Some players were given extremely long pole in spite of repeated failures. Some players mysteriously disappeared. No plausible reasons are available.
2) Questionable playing 11. Kohli had a penchant for playing different teams for every game for no reason.
3) Overseas itinerary prepared more from the perspective of a sightseeing tour than cricketing reasons. Extremely long breaks between tests. Rules favored suiting Kohli. Eg, Kohli could take his girlfriend on overseas tours on BCCI funds while for others, only if they were wives.
4) No practice matches scheduled since Kohli is fit to play cricket any day on any surface. Since this is not true for other cricketers, the team struggled.
5) Kohli had a talented team but they were underperforming. Poor tactics during the match contributed to the below-par performance.

These were overlooked as long as Kohli was in the hot form (Peak test avg: 55.10). When he hit a slump (current test avg: 48.93 and 36.79 in last 4 years), the issues hit the ceiling. His captaincy was questioned. There is no reason to believe he is a changed man now to hand over the captaincy back.

Last edited by msdivy : 18th April 2023 at 21:13.
Old 18th April 2023, 21:21   #3474
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy Tilak Verma seems to be a good find for this season, can be given some exposure to strengthen the middle order along with Sky (He needs to get his form back), as time for Kohli and Rohit comes to an end in T20I format.
Old 19th April 2023, 11:12   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
This guy Tilak Verma seems to be a good find for this season, can be given some exposure to strengthen the middle order along with Sky (He needs to get his form back), as time for Kohli and Rohit comes to an end in T20I format.
The next T20 WC is in 2024. I don't think either Rohit Sharma or Virat Kohli will play in it.
Kohli might continue to play cricket till 2025 (tests, ODIs & IPL) due to his fitness but I don't see Rohit going beyond ODI WC 2023, which should be his swansong.

Hope Gill takes up Kohli's mantle in scoring.
Old 19th April 2023, 12:10   #3476
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A new power center emerged, which is India captain Kohli. He had a say in team selection, series schedule, appointments, etc.
BCCI & Ganguly weren't happy with this, so they tried to clip his wings. As we saw last week during the RCB-DC game, Virat kept staring at Ganguly & then after the game didn't shake his hands!

Quote:
Overseas itinerary prepared more from the perspective of a sightseeing tour than cricketing reasons. Extremely long breaks between tests. Rules favored suiting Kohli. Eg, Kohli could take his girlfriend on overseas tours on BCCI funds while for others, only if they were wives.
Not sure about long breaks except 1 between the last WTC Final & India-England Test series. As long as you have a partner, don't think there should be an issue. Atleast thats the case with other countries cricket board. And its not always that the BCCI foots the families bills. I believe sometimes the Cricketers themselves foot the bill for the hotel rooms for nannies,etc, atleast I recollect reading that.

Quote:
There is no reason to believe he is a changed man now to hand over the captaincy back.
I have no doubt that Virat will return as the Test Captain sometime in the future. Should easily play until the age of 38 unless his form is affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The likes of Tilak Verma & Yashasvi have stolen a march over Shaw. Tilak had shown some promise in the last IPL as well. And we need some left handers in the Senior Team.
Old 22nd April 2023, 19:11   #3477
BHPian

KL special: 0 off the first 6, 30 off the next 12, 20 off the next 20, 18 off the next 23

Only KL can play like this and lose a match from an easily winning position
kavensri is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 20:15   #3478
Team-BHP Support

I can’t express in words the sadistic pleasure I get when KL Rahul and Gautam Gambhir lose. I’m loving it!

Edit - Saurav Ganguly too.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2023, 23:24   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
I can’t express in words the sadistic pleasure I get when KL Rahul and Gautam Gambhir lose. I’m loving it!

Edit - Saurav Ganguly too.
Same here as well, but not for Gambhir though!
kavensri is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2023, 17:05   #3480
BHPian

Is there any way one can watch the ipl stream without ad breaks. Those irritating ads have started to negatively impact the viewing experience now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks