Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2023, 18:37   #3511
PPS
Senior - BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNA411 View Post
I thought we were in the "IPL thread" and not the "cricket thread"
IPL record
GG as captain
Titles 2
IPL is just a prestigious domestic tournament at the end of the day! I'm sure even if you ask (when not in a foul mood) Gambhir he would rank the 2 World Cup trophies ahead of the IPL!
Old 5th May 2023, 08:10   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Amul special doodle on Kohli and Gambhir involved in ugly IPL spat.

The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)-20230505_080909.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 09:37   #3513
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
But is it that evident that GG is jealous/envious of VK or MSD?
Oh yes, he has made it more than evident via his public statements, tweets etc. It is common knowledge.

Quote:
Saw a news snippet a few weeks back that had VK talking about how his wife has made him a much calmer person and all. The recent outburst with GG had me thinking of that article
He is right. He has calmed down a lot post marriage. The intensity hasn't come down much, the frequency has

Quote:
All in all, good drama for the sport and that does help somehow i would assume.
IMO, it was fine till it was on the field. GG had no business getting involved.

There are reports now on what transpired and if they are true, VK was actually trying to calm GG who was hell bent on fighting.

Really, GG needs to sort this part of his life. His agression helped when he was an active player but now that he has more important responsibilities, he needs to calm down.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2023, 10:49   #3514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
IMO, it was fine till it was on the field. GG had no business getting involved.

There are reports now on what transpired and if they are true, VK was actually trying to calm GG who was hell bent on fighting.

Really, GG needs to sort this part of his life. His agression helped when he was an active player but now that he has more important responsibilities, he needs to calm down.
Seriously agree.
What was happening was between the players. On.The.Field.
Coaching staff has no business getting in a verbal spat with the players of the opposition team. Players are not toddlers. They can handle themselves.

GG needs to remember he is no longer a player.
Ideally he should be banned for a couple of matches and not allowed in the stadiums.
Old 5th May 2023, 11:52   #3515
BHPian

I don't understand why GG shouldn't have intervened?

He is the mentor, and it's his job to ensure that his players are not bullied by someone like Kohli.

Because for all his greatness as a batsman, Kohli is a typical bully. Be it his seniors, teammates, or juniors, somehow Kohli has issues with everybody, and still people expect GG to stand on the sidelines and allow his players to be bullied.

This is not how competitive sports work. And GG is definitely not going to allow anyone to get away with this, especially not someone like Kohli.

Gambhir is the same man who gave up captaincy, and returned his IPL fees for the whole season, because he felt he was not performing at the required level.

But what do I know. Perhaps Kohli is the saint, and Gavaskar, Kumble, Ganguly, and now Gambhir, everyone else is at fault. Right?
itisK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 11:00   #3516
BHPian

No comment after King's thumping knock?
Even the mango Instagram failed to make any appearance.

If only Kohli played like this in the International T20s.

Big chances of LSG vs RCB eliminator
Old 19th May 2023, 11:45   #3517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
No comment after King's thumping knock?
Even the mango Instagram failed to make any appearance.

If only Kohli played like this in the International T20s.

Big chances of LSG vs RCB eliminator
Well, he does plays like that in International T20s. I believe he was highest scorer for India in last one and who can forget that knock against Pakistan.

As his strong supporter I will still say he should make way for younger guys in T20 side. We need guys like Gill, RutuRaj, Jaiswal etc to build a team for another 7-8 years. He is the fittest we all know but at some point he has to realize he can't keep on playing all 3 formats plus IPL too. I would like to see him continue in ODI and tests rather than T20.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2023, 18:37   #3518

As a Mumbai Indians fan, Bangalore people please keep me updated about the weather up there
Old 24th May 2023, 12:22   #3519
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Can't believe that MI managed to make it to the Playoffs despite several shortcomings! They somehow managed to workaround their weaknesses & qualified. GT may have lost yesterday & they may very well go on to win the IPL but some of their tactics were weird yesterday. Hardik has completely stopped bowling in past few games, earlier he would regularly open the bowling. He's a finisher but for some reason he's been batting at no.3, he is no longer the feared hitter that he was! MI will badly hope whatever limited spinning options they have come to the party today. KKR have done better than expectations all thanks to the exploits of Rinku & Iyer.
Also, hope this Impact Player rule is done away with next year if India wants to produce some all-round options. The likes of Venkatesh Iyer, Tewatia, Vijay Shankar,Dube,etc have hardly bowled this entire IPL thanks to this rule!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 02:51   #3520
BHPian

My Indian XI for T20:

S Gill
R Gaikwad
SKY
T Verma
I Kishan (wk)
H Pandya (c)
R Singh
R Jadeja
M Shami
M Sharma
Y Chahal
12th Man: Y Jaiswal
Coach: Ashish Nehra

My IPL'23 XI:

Faf
Y Jaiswal
S Gill
V Kohli
A Rahane
R Singh
MSD (c & wk)
R Khan
R Jadeja
M Shami
M Sharma

Last edited by VWAllstar : 30th May 2023 at 02:59.
Old 30th May 2023, 10:33   #3521
Senior - BHPian

What an astounding tournament for the Chennai Kings and what a hard fought victory! At the beginning of the tournament who would have thought CSK would reach the playoffs much less win the cup

Nice final to end the tournament
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 12:05   #3522
Senior - BHPian

What a match. Kept us hooked over 3 days. Although I don’t follow IPL much and didn’t watch any of the games till playoffs started, mighty impressed with GT team. They seem to be in a different league altogether. Being a CSK fan am happy with the result but full marks to GT for keeping it alive till last ball

Dhoni as usual kept it low key without any retirement announcement. But I am sure he will do it silently over social media in near future like earlier. The man has some insane fan following. Who would have thought Chennai would have 3/4th of the stadium in Ahmedabad cheering for them when its a final and opposite team is a home team. All because of one man

Note: Special mention about Gill. This kid is the next big thing in India cricket for sure. Had a wonderful international season in all 3 formats and continued it in IPL. Hope he continues this in the WTC final

Last edited by SoumenD : 30th May 2023 at 12:07.
Old 30th May 2023, 12:25   #3523
BHPian

Although I'm a die hard fan of Test cricket. I do watch IPL matches for the last 10 overs of the game, this is where the crazy entertainment kicks in. Rinku Singh, Tewatia, Jadeja etal and all nail biting encounters are treat to watch. IPL is an Entertainment industry in line with Bollywood, Probably bigger.

However, I will keep a hawk eye on the upcoming WTC. Also we are losing a world class talent in Prithvi Shaw, can somoene take this lad to a psychologist and make him grounded. He seems to be on the same path as Vinod Kambli was during his hey days.

NomadSK
Old 15th December 2023, 20:17   #3524
BHPian

This is some news!!
Hardik Pandya replaces Rohit Sharma as Mumbai Indians captain. Although there were hints, I did not expect the captaincy to switch hands this early. Personally, I would have liked Rohit to continue for at least another season. Well, MI has their plans in place, who am I to rant about it!

Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2023, 20:48   #3525
PPS
Senior - BHPian

^^ This was always on the cards. Rohit's performance with the bat hasn't been great since past several seasons! MI clearly thinking ahead & thats the reason they went all out for Pandya considering Rohit will be 37 soon & doesn't have the fitness levels of Virat or elasticity of Dhoni to keep going for another few seasons. This is quite a case study, while on the other hand CSK don't seem to have anyone in mind after Dhoni hangs up his boots. Fleming has been their Coach forever now.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed