6. Shane Watson,
  7. Irfan Pathan,
  8. Shane Warne,
  9. Zaheer Khan,
  10. S Sreesanth,
  11. Glenn McGrath.
Old 18th May 2008, 22:51   #797
Senior - BHPian

Get Shaun Pollock for Zaheer and Abhishek Nayar for Sreesanth !
Old 18th May 2008, 23:27   #798
BANNED

DC lose by 24 runs.

Some feel, "the high profile Deccan team is a bigger disappointment than the Bangalore team"
Old 18th May 2008, 23:39   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Do a Sehwag ? diabloo - I rate Courtney Walsh a better batsman than Afridi
Too much prejudice.

He has hit 4 test 100s and 2 ODI 100 against Indiam including that match-winning 144 at Chennai.

\N
Old 18th May 2008, 23:49   #800
BANNED

MI seem to be on track after the 'obnoxious weed' was taken out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
DC lose by 24 runs.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:09   #801
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Get Shaun Pollock for Zaheer and Abhishek Nayar for Sreesanth !
I say get Brett Lee and Shoaib Akhtar instead of Shreesanth and Zaheer.

P.S - 12th Man - Tendulkar

Edit 2 - Get rid of Sehwag, promote Gambhir to No.2 and bring in Michael Hussey at No.4

Last edited by F50 : 19th May 2008 at 00:13.
Old 19th May 2008, 00:35   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Dravid is not only a batsman but a captain & team selector too. Whatever his batting skills, he must be complimented for his convincing skills - he convinced his owner to put money to select the most ill suited team in the game's history . All just to propagate his idea to spread the greatness of test cricket - he has done with missionary zeal.

When other captains are turning their team into gold, Dravid has turned his team into a dysfunctional outfit - can't bat, can't bowl and can't field.

Finally, his batting is splendid, but only when the opposition is already convinced of a win !!!

Story of Dravid: Dravid hits the last ball of the match for six, but his team lose by 65 runs.
Humble beginnings my friend, it was too much to ask from somebody who had to adjust his batting to the new format, remember he is playing his first match with the IPL and also chalk out strategies and captain a side. you can't put the blame squarely on Dravid alone, it could have been Charu Sharma / Venaktesh Prasad / Martin Crowe etc who may have influenced him during the auctions period, and yes when you don't have any experience before, you do tend to pay attention to others' views as well. But I do agree that they haven't spent their money in the best way possible. Anil Kumble, Jacques Kallis, Sunil Joshi, Abdur Razzaq, and couple of local lads are dead investment.

I never said Rahul is a good captain, he never was. And mallya, come on, he wanted Mccullum, Uthappa and Dhoni, He's just trying to be a smart *** in front of the media here, quoting the names of few players who have done relatively well in the tournament so far(that too only few games). They do have their fair share of t20 batsmen in White, Misbah, Taylor and Boucher. Even Chanderpaul has the potential. Its just plain misfortune that they haven't fired in the way they should have. Moreover, if Mallya had gone ahead with his plans of acquiring those players, along with dravid's fee of 15% more, I guess they would have nearly exhausted 85%+ of their 5 million limit, for four players? LOL.

All I was trying to say was, his batting has not been bad at all, he still deserves his place in the ODI squad atleast. Take the case of Sachin, he has had t20 exposure before, 7 games he sits out, and then? herschelle gibbs, Afridi, uthappa etc?

Even so called test players like wasim jaffer have played better than Afridi, Gibbs. Look, they lost few closely fought games against CSK,DD,KKR etc.. if they had won those, I'm sure no questions would have been asked now..
Old 19th May 2008, 00:42   #803
BANNED

"With due respect to Rahul Dravid's contribution to Indian and Karnataka cricket, I feel that it is high time that he took decisions on his own. While selecting a team there should be no friendship."
Dodda Ganesh, former Karnataka and India bowler, speaks out

"We are trying to dehumanise the opposition as much as possible so that we can concentrate on what we can do and try to knock off as many colours as possible! We are not too much into reputation."
Martin Crowe on the Bangalore Royal Challengers' strategy for the next game;

Quote:
Whatever his batting skills, he must be complimented for his convincing skills - he convinced his owner to put money to select the most ill suited team in the game's history .
Old 19th May 2008, 09:31   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DC v MI
My bet is on DC.
Diabloo my friend no offence but your bets and predictions aint working !
Old 19th May 2008, 10:22   #805
BHPian

Quote:
" While selecting a team there should be no friendship."
Dodda Ganesh, former Karnataka and India bowler, speaks out
I also felt so that Dravid along with Charu and Mallaya were too generous for their State players like kumble,Joshi and few other.If they had to pick local players they should have gone for younger players instead of useless ones like kumble and Joshi.These players are not even fit for one-day cricket so how can they fit in T-20?

But Dravid alone is not responsible for this mess.Malllaya is not telling the truth when he says that he was not their at the ayction.We all saw him along with Dravid and Charu and both of these are also to be equally blamed for.If money alone was the factor then RR should have been at the bottom.
Also Mallaya should have kept quiet as DC's owners have done.Their team is full of hard hitters but they also haven't done anything yet.

Quote:
He is still one of the best batsmen the world has ever seen, I believe he should continue playing ODIs and even t20(he has gotten a hang of the format now, and if anything he will only get better
Regarding Dravid he is the best batsman India has had for the last one decade.I rate him above Sachin in both one-day and test cricket.He has been most consistent in that period unlike Sachin who believes in All or None phenomenon.

The worst thing happened to Dravid was offer of captaincy which he should have declined in favour of batting.There is too much pressure on India captain and he was not able to cope with it.
To make matter worse he was not good captain when it comes to choosing team(WC2007 is example),what to do after winning toss,batting order,right combination of players.etc.He showcased this in IPL as well.

But as pure batsman Dravid still has in him to play test and one-day cricket for atleast next 2-3 years.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 19th May 2008 at 10:26.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:27   #806
Senior - BHPian

Hmmmm, Ms D/L are playing a big role across the country.....lucky wins for KXIP & CSK. Now the equations are changing again. Going to be an interesting but difficult week ahead.

(Sits back & sips coffee contentedly - its only a game after all)

On a different note, now hear this - how many of you agree that the Indian XI is going to have a tough time clicking in their next ODI series after all that's happening in the IPL. They will take a while adjusting to the fact that they are all back to playing for the same side. This is just my gut feel.

Last edited by suman : 19th May 2008 at 10:31.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:42   #807
Senior - BHPian

Delayed payments?

Lol, anyone seen this -

espnstar.com - powered by ESPN STAR Sports: Cricket: Indian Premier League : News
Old 19th May 2008, 11:55   #808
BANNED

Even ICC is sick of SRK's monkey antics

SRK hurt at being barred from visiting team dressing room*-*News*-*News*-*Times of India Cricket - IPL

SRK banned from players' dugout*-*News*-*News*-*Times of India Cricket - IPL
Old 19th May 2008, 12:06   #809
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Don't know why there is such a hue and cry over the selection of the RCB team and what Mallya's complaining all about now.

Someone kindly look at the batting line-up of the Deccan Chargers. Gilly, Symmo, Afridi, Rohit Sharma, Gibbs, Venugopala Rao. Perhaps the MOST DANGEROUS batting line-up in the competition. Yet they have not bettered even the Royal Challengers in the wins column.

On a field it doesnt matter if your young or old, your fit for test matches or ODI or T20. Given the opportunity those who make the best use of it WIN. All the teams need to learn something from the Rajasthan Royals.

Besides some people here need to realize that a Dravid or a Kallis or a Mishab alone cant win you a match. It supposed to be a team effort, which right now both the DC's & RCB are lacking.
Old 19th May 2008, 12:09   #810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even ICC is sick of SRK's monkey antics
I can't figure out why we are so obsessed with SRK. I can't stand the man myself but why on earth would the owner dictate my like or dislike for the team?

Last edited by suman : 19th May 2008 at 12:11.

Most Viewed