Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 13:55   #916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sehwag didn't say the crowd support was one sided, when it actually was !
Well, he went a step further & cursed the New Delhi crowd (IIRC) after he was pelted with something when he was fielding near the boundary the other day
Old 22nd May 2008, 14:57   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
@NC,

I could not watch Mumbai vs Punjab match yesterday, so cannot comment on Yuvraj's behaviour.
But I see nothing wrong in what Yuvi has said. (Your link does not work, so did not read the entire article).
I appreciate Yuvi for bringing this up. Atleast he did not bring it up after losing the match, else he would have been branded a cry baby!
While it is perfectly ok for the crowd to support home team, why this heckling? But then Mumbai crowd, of late, has become less tolerant. Their booing of Sachin against England just being the case in point!
I agree with you,absolutely.

Comments made by Yuvi are very honest and true.Its ok if someone is supporting home players/team but why boo or heckle Indian players from other teams?
But anyway the anger against Yuvi is nothing new.This time its more of frustration and pain he has given to some fans after leading his team's win against Mumbai.He was a good guy till the match against Mumbai.

Infact he has been the best captain of all IPL team except Warne either with his field placements,choosing to bat/bowl 1st and even his post match comments.If other players are influencing him regarding some on-field decisions then this also shows him in good light in the sense that he is willing to listen to his team members and is flexible.

In the match against KKR at Mohali when Hussey and Das were dealing in sixes that crowd there was applauding those 2 batsmen,which we all should be doing ideally for good cricket being played irrespective of team.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:01   #918
BANNED

Actually somebody in the crowd thre stone at him. Later he regretted the incident.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, he went a step further & cursed the New Delhi crowd (IIRC) after he was pelted with something when he was fielding near the boundary the other day
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:03   #919
BANNED

Why Yuvi is such a great captain:
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Preity found that Yuvi to be not upto the mark. So Yuvi has to take directions from Jayawardene & Sangakara. Half the decisons on the field are made by these two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Infact he has been the best captain of all IPL team except Warne either with his field placements,choosing to bat/bowl 1st and even his post match comments.If other players are influencing him regarding some on-field decisions then this also shows him in good light in the sense that he is willing to listen to his team members and is flexible.

In the match against KKR at Mohali when Hussey and Das were dealing in sixes that crowd there was applauding those 2 batsmen,which we all should be doing ideally for good cricket being played irrespective of team.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:06   #920
Team-BHP Support

I am waiting for the Rajasthan and Punjab finals PB will win.
As for mumbai/kolkata/Deccan/BLR etc., etc., all are same, any can come in semi's
One will lose to Rajasthan and the other will lose to Punjab
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:35   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Why Yuvi is such a great captain:
Quote:
Preity found that Yuvi to be not upto the mark. So Yuvi has to take directions from Jayawardene & Sangakara. Half the decisons on the field are made by these two.
Come on diabloo......Who the hell are Preity,Mallaya or SRK to comment upon cricket players.They are even worse than most of us inclu you.Before IPL they would have hardly seen any match coz of their busy schedule.

Quote:
I am waiting for the Rajasthan and Punjab finals PB will win.
As for mumbai/kolkata/Deccan/BLR etc., etc., all are same, any can come in semi's
One will lose to Rajasthan and the other will lose to Punjab
well said.

This is what we can expect depending upon current form.Only these two teams know how to win and have done well in difficult situations.
Would love to see the final between these teams who are among least votes here.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 22nd May 2008 at 15:40.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:40   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually somebody in the crowd thre stone at him. Later he regretted the incident.
Who regretted the incident? Not the guy who threw the stone surely

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
Its ok if someone is supporting home players/team but why boo or heckle Indian players from other teams?
Now that sounds contradictory to me? If you are cheering the home team, then you would (in all probability) not be supporting the other team - whether there are "Indian" players in the other team or not?

As pointed out by Wanderlust, we need to look at this as we would look at a EPL. Imagine ManU complaining that the crowd booed them at Stamford Bridge!

Last edited by suman : 22nd May 2008 at 15:59.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:52   #923
BHPian

I see no wrong in the crowd behavior. IPL is promoted as a tournament between city franchises. And looks like they are hitting the agenda alright. The IPL is supposed to be like any premier football league in the world. Boisterous home crowds would give a harrowing time to the opposition.

But the same crowds will be behind the players when they don the national colors. Yuvraj does not have a case. Period! Dhoni's comments on the other hand were more mature and one needs to take a leaf out of his book. When he walked up as a losing captain to chat with the host in the presentation area in Mumbai, he said, the same crowd will cheer for me when I play for India in Mumbai. How very true!

IPL will continue to invoke strong passionate reactions from the crowds. Heck, even the advertisements of the franchises are made like that. What did anyone expect? This is no gentleman's game!
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:11   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I see no wrong in the crowd behavior. What did anyone expect? This is no gentleman's game!
But as i pointed out in my last post its ok if you are passionate about you states team and you are cheering strongly and loudly but why boo or heckle your own players,infact even international players.

I know IPL is acc to EPL format but will anyone here expect same crowd behaviour and hooliganism which English supporters are known for?
IMHO cheering and booing are two totally different things.

But i agree with you on one thing...this is not gentleman's game anymore...it now businessman's game now.

Last edited by rsjaurr : 22nd May 2008 at 16:14.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:17   #925
Senior - BHPian

They booed Yuvi and Sreesanth because a player of their city was banned because of Sreesanth. And with Yuvi as captain, he had to bear the booing too.

Well - even Lampard is booed when he plays at Old Trafford, isn't he ?

That's the way the tournament was constructed.

If you think yuvi will not be cheered if he is batting for India against any country at the Wankhede, then you are wrong. He will be whole heartedly cheered.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:20   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you think yuvi will not be cheered if he is batting for India against any country at the Wankhede, then you are wrong. He will be whole heartedly cheered.
And booed too - if he gets out playing an irresponsible shot at a critical juncture
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:37   #927
BHPian

Quote:
CaAt,

The Mumbai crowd booed Sachin (or any other player) when he did not perform. And if you think the Mumbai crowd is intolerant - what are your views about the crowd that booes the whole Indian team and supports and cheers the opposition when one of their player is dropped ?

Yes I am talking about the the Kolkatta crowd. They support the opposition , do not turn up to watch the match when Ganguly doesn't play - that is permitted ?

The way Kolkatta crowd supported KKR against DD - the same way Mumbai crowd supported MI against the KX1P - why pick on the crowd ? Sehwag didn't say the crowd support was one sided, when it actually was !
The reason why I included the word 'OF LATE' in my post was that back in 80s and upto early 90s, 'Bombay crowd was the most knowlegdeable and sporting amongst all cities in India. Today, that honour goes to Chennai.

As far as Kolkata and other cities are concerned, I would never condone such behaviour. In fact Eden Gardens has a notorious history of ugly crowd behaviour dating back to the 1960s.

I was simply surprised because you said you won't support Kings XI anymore, just because Yuvi made the statement about crowd heckling.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:39   #928
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
I see no wrong in the crowd behavior. IPL is promoted as a tournament between city franchises. And looks like they are hitting the agenda alright. The IPL is supposed to be like any premier football league in the world. Boisterous home crowds would give a harrowing time to the opposition.
Quote:
They booed Yuvi and Sreesanth because a player of their city was banned because of Sreesanth. And with Yuvi as captain, he had to bear the booing too.

Well - even Lampard is booed when he plays at Old Trafford, isn't he ?

That's the way the tournament was constructed.

Umm, so whats wrong with Yuvi booing the crowds. All fair in IPL and war!
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:44   #929
BHPian

I have been reading this Yuvi getting booed at Mumbai during the game and agree with most response that the game is between cities and booing has to be taken understride. As a Indian team we have faced similar situation while playing overseas and the they too face the brunt while in India.

Yuvi or anyone from the team may not get booed in any state or city when they play with the Indian colors.
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:58   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Umm, so whats wrong with Yuvi booing the crowds. All fair in IPL and war!
He has been paid $$$$ to go out there to play and perform not to boo at crowds.

Most Viewed