Cricinfo - IPL to be played outside India
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:38   #1352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
IPL to be hosted outside India. UK and South Africa emerge as alternatives:

Cricinfo - IPL to be played outside India
WHAT A SHAME!!

If the mighty Government of India is incapable of providing security for a simple sports tourney, how can they be trusted with an ENTIRE NATION ?!?
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:10   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
WHAT A SHAME!!

If the mighty Government of India is incapable of providing security for a simple sports tourney, how can they be trusted with an ENTIRE NATION ?!?
Well, they can provide security for a cricket tournament, just not alongwith elections. Conducting free and fair elections should be a democracy's top priority on any given day. Rather the BCCI, should have waited for election dates before publishing their own.

It's rather unfair for an already inadequate security setup to be expected to stretch it's resources to accommodate a cricket tournament. Ofcourse, for something as glamorous and global as the IPL to be held without adequate security arrangements might just be a fiasco waiting to happen.

Also, aren't the IPL franchisees looking to recover a lot of their expenses by selling tickets at home grounds? How does it work now? Are the English or the SA crowds really going to make up for the ticket sales? As much as Indians would have?
Old 22nd March 2009, 15:48   #1354
BHPian

On the positive note...we can have the cheerleader's show without any controversies this time.

Regards,
Old 22nd March 2009, 16:22   #1355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
On the positive note...we can have the cheerleader's show without any controversies this time.

Regards,
yay! ...that is true..i didnt think about that immediately
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:15   #1356
BANNED

So now its no longer "Indian" Premier League??

I too think the dates could have been revised for IPL considering the elections are round the corner.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:28   #1357
Senior - BHPian

Having a tournament like this hosted outside of India will not go down well with the true blue cricket enthusiast, it's just not the same ! And like ported_head mentioned, do not know how, having the tournament conducted outside of India is going to ring in the cash registers for BCCI as well as the franchisees and sponsors. Instead, we should have looked for a postponement in dates. (of the IPL, that is ! )

Last edited by kannan666 : 22nd March 2009 at 21:34.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:32   #1358
Distinguished - BHPian

I think they have made a right decision. Either they should have postponed or then shift (next best) or cancel.

Being a part of the organizing committee at DY Patil Stadium last year i can tell you that security is a nightmare. It's not only crowds of 65,000 inside the satdium that need to be handled. There are crowds of 6000 atleast outside the stadium. Then there is stadium support staff of atleast 1500 people. Catering people are from atleast 15 different agencies catering to general public, cricketers, VIPs, support staff, etc. They number more than 1000. Ushers - 600. Private security (TOPS), another 200. Reliance security of another 200. 750 + cops. Invited VIP guests from other cricket boards and IMG another 500. On days of opening and closing ceremonies another 2000 performers and support staff. TV staff of another 50. There is a staff of another 1000 people who work on non match days as well and are not allowed during match days. They can also slip in something.Not to talk about the number of vehicles entering the stadium (trucks, cars and bikes) and the car chaos outside!
Imagine handing all these. Every ALL ACCESS badge has 5 security features which i will not say. But a determined guy can duplicate it. Minor support staff only have wristbands. Catch a guy knock him out and take his "tearable" wristband (which doesn't tear) and walk in. So easy.
Add to it, last year we caught atleast 5000 duplicate tickets.
We hardly got to see any match for 20mins total due to security and other other issues.
Support work begins a month earlier. Cops come with 2 - 3 sniffer dogs on day of the match. How will they sniff out a stadium where there are 65000 seats and enough spare service area to stand another 65000 people. Not possible!
There is thousands of litres of diesel stored for generators. A huge potential bomb. There are a lot of issues involved.
With election, the cops and dogs will be overworked. Either one - match or elections - can be targeted. Not worth it.
I think, good decision.
Old 22nd March 2009, 21:51   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Are the English or the SA crowds really going to make up for the ticket sales? As much as Indians would have?
Absolutely. Ticket sales in India are dominated by the local MP, MLA, police, sarkari offices, politicians etc etc. The losers who actually pay are a miniscule number

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
So now its no longer "Indian" Premier League??
It has always been International Premier League. Agree on the dates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Having a tournament like this hosted outside of India will not go down well with the true blue cricket enthusiast, it's just not the same !
I will happily see it on TV. It doesnt matter whether the junta in the stands is gora or desi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I think they have made a right decision. Either they should have postponed or then shift (next best) or cancel.
Very well said. You encapsulated the facts perfectly. I am well aware of what happens in the background and this seems a reasonable compromise.

However, I am concerned about travel costs that will be racked up on the team owners. Even RR can kiss profits goodbye.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:12   #1360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
WHAT A SHAME!!

Its easy to blame the government for everything. But the problem here is with the BCCI and IPL. It was known long before that there would be elections in april/may. Only the exact dates weren't announced. So if IPL guys were smart enough they should have arranged for tournaments keeping this in mind. Government has far more serious issues to take care of.

Now that they have decided to shift the matches outside, it is no longer Indian premier league. Come on, imagine Bangalore royal challengers vs Kolkata knight riders in lords or cape town, you got to be kidding. This makes no sense at all. IPL is like a circus show, now in the second edition, the whole circus troop is on a foreign tour. Good for them!

Last edited by SilentEngine : 22nd March 2009 at 23:15.
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:24   #1361
Senior - BHPian

It's rather unfortunate that the issue has been politicised and now different parties are saying different things.

In a nutshell
1. Dates of IPL clashed with elections.
2. Any day, elections take a priority
3. Security during elections itself is a major use of manpower, time and equipment and it is extremely difficult to add another major event like an IPL game to be taken care of by the same people (security personal) - Tejas has already pointed out some issues
4. Postponement would have meant cancellation - as it is there were several problems getting this calendar slot for the IPL.
5. The only option left was to shift it out - and that was the decision taken.
6. I don't think this has anything to do with politics, ministers or political parties - it is a logical decision that is the safest and most practical option.

I wish that cricketers, politicians and everyone else do NOT politicise the issue and enjoy the games for all the entertainment it is worth!
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:40   #1362
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the elections take precedence over IPL, but what I am afraid of is this incidence can be the excuse for some teams to raise security concerns during their future bilateral tours to India.
Blame it on the the BCCI or the Govt.of India, the message that goes out is, we couldn't hold sports tournament because of security concerns, which is not a good thing especially considering that we have Commonwealth Games next year!
Old 22nd March 2009, 23:55   #1363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I agree that the elections take precedence over IPL, but what I am afraid of is this incidence can be the excuse for some teams to raise security concerns during their future bilateral tours to India.
Blame it on the the BCCI or the Govt.of India, the message that goes out is, we couldn't hold sports tournament because of security concerns, which is not a good thing especially considering that we have Commonwealth Games next year!

Guys .. Its very difficult for the BCCI to find a window for IPL so that maximum number of international players can participate and the popularity of this event will rise .. Now other than May I dont think they can find a time when all these intl players will join this event. So its correct on BCCI part to move it some other country ...

This IPL is a completely desi Indian thing and the brain child of an Indian...Being an Indian cricket fan I feel sad to see this moving to some other country .. But I dont blame BCCI ...
Old 23rd March 2009, 01:58   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Guys .. Its very difficult for the BCCI to find a window for IPL so that maximum number of international players can participate and the popularity of this event will rise .. Now other than May I dont think they can find a time when all these intl players will join this event. So its correct on BCCI part to move it some other country ...

This IPL is a completely desi Indian thing and the brain child of an Indian...Being an Indian cricket fan I feel sad to see this moving to some other country .. But I dont blame BCCI ...
If finding a window is a problem, BCCI should find a solution for it. Or schedule it in staggered manner than having it for the 2 months at a stretch. What they have done right now is not a solution. Its a short term fix. It can have some serious implications in future. I would rather prefer an IPL played in India without international players than having it outside.

When you start something new, there has to be continuity in it. Now in just the second edition this looks like a joke. What has actually happened is IPL organizers and BCCI have succumbed to the pressure from the franchices who wanted IPL to be hosted at any cost. That clearly shows lack of proper planning on the part of BCCI.
There is a saying, Cricket in India is a success not because of BCCI but despite the BCCI. BCCI cares for only one thing and thats money.
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:20   #1365
Team-BHP Support

I agree with Tejas. He's put some important and valid points in his post. I think it's a good decision.
But, I also agree with safari_lover. Future cricket tours to India may face a problem.
As far as filling the stands is concerned, I think there are many ex-pats in both, England and SA who would be thrilled to see the teams in their respective countries. Indians from all over Europe will fly down to England or people from Kenya (which has a sizable Indian population) would travel to SA to watch the IPL.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks