Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2010, 00:28   #2116
BHPian

Chennai will Win coz all the money is on Mumbai!
Old 24th April 2010, 02:21   #2117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I don't follow NFL, NBA or MLB so don't want to comment on that. Also just because it works like that in the US doesn't mean India should follow that model. USA and India are different.

I don't think the government of India has at anytime interfered in BCCI operations before. BCCI is free to police itself. But this time, it looks like BCCI has failed to act. Whether IPL has breached any of Indian laws, we will find only after investigations, which will not happen by BCCI alone.

its not just the USA that follows this model, i dont hear the government getting involved in the EPL or other European Soccer/Football leagues. The government should only get involved if tax revenues arent paid back, thats it. Everything else should be left to the sporting bodies.
Old 24th April 2010, 02:25   #2118
BHPian

All the political parties are making hay out of this. Cant they all just shut up and go back to fixing whats wrong with this country and actually running the country, instead of worrying about the IPL. I think the people have a right to demand them to do that. I just had a power cut of like 3 or 4 hours today, shouldnt the government make sure i have uninterrupted power??
Old 24th April 2010, 08:33   #2119
BANNED

Happy birthday to Sachin... the master Blaster
Old 24th April 2010, 12:10   #2120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Happy birthday to Sachin... the master Blaster
Happy Birthday Sachin There will never be another like you
Old 24th April 2010, 15:03   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
its not just the USA that follows this model, i dont hear the government getting involved in the EPL or other European Soccer/Football leagues. The government should only get involved if tax revenues arent paid back, thats it. Everything else should be left to the sporting bodies.
IPL is not just sport, it is part of entertainment industry. It has to function within existing laws of the land. Unless some investigations happen, how are you going to prove one way or the other?

Quote:
All the political parties are making hay out of this. Cant they all just shut up and go back to fixing whats wrong with this country and actually running the country, instead of worrying about the IPL. I think the people have a right to demand them to do that. I just had a power cut of like 3 or 4 hours today, shouldnt the government make sure i have uninterrupted power??
People also have the right to know how the BCCI uses or misuses their money. If it was not for the huge following for cricket in India, then BCCI wouldn't be the same richest cricket body in the world.
Old 25th April 2010, 01:31   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
IPL is not just sport, it is part of entertainment industry. It has to function within existing laws of the land. Unless some investigations happen, how are you going to prove one way or the other?

People also have the right to know how the BCCI uses or misuses their money. If it was not for the huge following for cricket in India, then BCCI wouldn't be the same richest cricket body in the world.
Is the BCCI using tax payers money? If not, then we dont have a say in it as the public. If they are, then yes, we do have a total say in it. Technically, IPL is still sport, even if it is "entertainment".
Old 25th April 2010, 14:31   #2123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the BCCI using tax payers money? If not, then we dont have a say in it as the public. If they are, then yes, we do have a total say in it. Technically, IPL is still sport, even if it is "entertainment".
Indirectly yes. Millions of people like you and me pay for the tickets to watch the matches live in stadium. Now you can argue that nobody is forcing us to watch. But since BCCI has monopoly on cricket, there is no alternative. Does anybody remember ICL now?
BCCI has to be little more transparent in activities.
Old 25th April 2010, 20:47   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Not using tax money is not the only point. Anti - compeititive practices from a monopoly organisation is just not allowed.

Besides, BCCI does get a lot of benefit from the GOI, and is not financially independent as it is made out to be. They have benefited from tax incentives. They have received government money till the 90's. Of course they are accountable.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:11   #2125
BHPian

In the final looks tough for MI ..But they have a definite chance till Sachin is on the crease.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:35   #2126
BHPian

Chennai Super Kings have a great chance of winning now.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:49   #2127
BHPian

I just can not understand why Pollard has not come to bat till now !!!
Old 26th April 2010, 00:23   #2128
Senior - BHPian

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaw!
Chennai won!
Better luck next time fellows. Till then:
Old 26th April 2010, 00:33   #2129
BHPian

Bad captaincy from Sachin. Everyone knows the reason why so won't type again. (Err.. I am feeling a bit lazy too )

CSK deserved it and they won. Better luck next time MI
Old 26th April 2010, 00:42   #2130
Senior - BHPian

It is inexplicable and unpardonable to hold back Pollard till it became a suicidal attempt!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks