Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 23:41   #3391
BHPian

re: The IPL Thread (Fantasy game league details on pg 238)

PBKS vs GT
Match#16

TEWATIA does it again!
Chasing 190 for victory, GT find themselves needing 12 of the last two balls. Man on strike Tewatia coolly obliges! 2 mighty hits and its game, set and match for GT.

What a match! What a player! Remember the name-
T-E-W-A-T-I-A!

Last edited by Emvi : 9th April 2022 at 00:02. Reason: Line added
Old 20th April 2022, 15:44   #3392
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Hardik Pandya has done more than enough to warrant his place in the Indian T20WC team. Its another thing that he's injured now! Don't know how serious. Selectors shouldn't pick him in every series.

Stoinis & Holder are completely underutilized by KL Rahul. Has happened twice now & it has cost LSG some crucial points.

Virat Kohli badly needs a month long break!
Old 23rd April 2022, 01:00   #3393
AZT
BHPian

Rishab Pant trying to call his batsmen back because the umpire didn’t give a no-ball was excessive. They’d have probably been fined if they walked off.

Still, it always hurts to see a wrong decision in today’s age of technology and cameras.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:19   #3394
Distinguished - BHPian

What's with the low crowd turnout at the stadiums? First few matches I thought there must be some covid restrictions, but almost every match seems to have a very low turnout. Cricinfo commentary for one of the matches mentioned that too.

I remember matches being sold out really fast previous IPLs, was almost impossible to get tickets. Is the IPL losing its sheen? Or is it because of the restricted venues this time? Wonder what the TV numbers are relative to other seasons.

Last edited by am1m : 11th May 2022 at 12:25.
Old 11th May 2022, 12:56   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
What's with the low crowd turnout at the stadiums?
I thought 14 matches/team for a 8 team IPL was too long and now for a 10 team IPL it's even longer!. I think people lose interest after the first half of the IPL and interest picks up again only during Knock outs.

Matches are too long.Each T20 match is too long. It should be done and dusted in 3 hours. Anything beyond that atleast I don't have time to watch them!
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 13:15   #3396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Wonder what the TV numbers are relative to other seasons.
Watching IPL on TV is horrible. It is filled with Pan/Gutka ads (endorsed by almost all shameless bollywood A-listers). Soon we will have all bollywood leading ladies selling Gutka.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 13:21   #3397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Still, it always hurts to see a wrong decision in today’s age of technology and cameras.
What baffles me is the lack of common sense in cricket rules.

You can only review LBW and catch decisions of the on-field umpire. Wides/no balls can't be reviewed! It is UDRS (Umpire Decision Review System), so one should be allowed to review any decision by the umpire!

When you review for a LBW or catch, umpire also checks by default the fairness of the delivery. he also automatically checks if it was some other form of dismissal other than what was reviewed. But fairness of the delivery is only limited to front foot no-ball. if it is a wide for height is not checked.

Samson recently reviewed for a catch (against KKR I guess) even though he knew it was not a catch, purely because he was irritated by the continuous wide-for-height calls. but the TV umpire didn't check the wide-for-height!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 13:48   #3398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Watching IPL on TV is horrible. It is filled with Pan/Gutka ads (endorsed by almost all shameless bollywood A-listers). Soon we will have all bollywood leading ladies selling Gutka.
Add to that the betting apps. Feels like India has opened up to legalize betting. Funny part, all these apps have failed actors (rather not so popular in current scheme of business) with a very similar theme. A signature dance step or a dialogue and then 'yeh khel mein vidya jokhim shamil hai...'
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 14:24   #3399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Add to that the betting apps. Feels like India has opened up to legalize betting.
Betting on the IPL is widespread. I used to work late at one of my jobs in Bangalore and usually while getting coffee in the cafeteria at night, I'd overhear the office housekeeping staff talk about the bets they placed during each match. Some of the sums were not trivial and I can imagine represented a big portion of their salaries. This was at least 5-6 years ago. I imagine it has only grown since then. A year or so ago, while getting a haircut at a local barber's in Goa, I overheard a conversation between two men also talking about their significant losses on IPL bets. I guess the government stands to make a lot of money by regularizing or quasi-legalizing it. But like most gambling, from horse racing to crypto, it is going to affect those on the initial rungs of the socioeconomic ladder more than it does most of us. And those are the main takers for get-rich-quick dreams and more likely to identify with the B-list actors in those adverts.

Last edited by am1m : 11th May 2022 at 14:34.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 19:21   #3400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
IPL- India Pan-masala League would be more appropriate
mazda4life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 23:40   #3401
Distinguished - BHPian

A clinical performance by GT to win. While very few gave them chance (including me) they were the best tram and they won. Deserving champions of Tata IPL 2022.

New Franchisee's First IPL, First Match in their homeground, First title...Fairytale stuff!

Each and every player contributed throughout the tournament. Hardik, Saha, Wade, Miller, Rashid, Gill, Tewatia, Shami, Ferguson, Sai Kishore and Dayal!!

Although Boring for a Final, today was just clinical.

Congratulations Gujarat Titans!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th May 2022 at 23:48.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 23:40   #3402
BHPian

Gujarat Titans crowned IPL 2022 champions!

Titans got going right from the outset and never did they lose their intensity all through the tournament. Superlative effort from one of the two latest IPL teams and are worthy champions for sure.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 11:23   #3403
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Strange decision by Samson to bat first when everyone knows about GT's chasing credentials! Most teams prefer chasing nowadays. Both teams did not have batting depth. RR were heavily reliant on Buttler at the top. Good to see a brand new team win the IPL!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2022, 21:51   #3404
Team-BHP Support

Shubhman Gill moves from Gujarat Titans to KKR. Why????

I just hope it's not one of those silly Twitter pranks.

PS: looks like a prank only. Thank God.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th September 2022 at 21:54.
Old 26th March 2023, 22:02   #3405
PPS
Senior - BHPian

How to watch IPL on a Windows Laptop since I don't see any Jio Cinema app on the Microsoft Store? Don't have a Jio number, but my parents do. Wonder if there will be different set of commentators on Star Sports & Jio Cinema.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks