Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2008, 14:39   #301
BANNED

Mukesh Ambani gets it all wrong in IPL

Mukesh Ambani gets it all wrong in IPL
  • Mr Ambani paid $111.9 million for the franchise, making it the most expensive IPL team.
  • Sachin will be paid 15% more than Sanath Jayasuriya (the highest paid player in the Mumbai team), which stands at $11,21,250. Despite Sachin’s non-performance, the team owners will have to make the full payment, which is a net loss for the franchise.
  • Harbhajan Singh banned for 11 matches—which means he will sit out the rest of the IPL season
  • Mumbai roped in Hrithik Roshan as its brand ambassador. According to sources, the deal is close to Rs 4-5 crore.
  • Mumbai Indians only managed one founding sponsor in MasterCard.
“Financially, the franchise seems to have overspent. Apart from two players out, Mumbai has also paid a lot for its brand ambassador and not managed to leverage it, which is a bit surprising. It has clearly re-strategise for the next season,” said an official close to the dealings of the Mumbai franchise.

Debut season fiasco runs down IPL's costliest team- ET Cetera-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Mukesh Ambani bet Anil Ambani in the auction. If Anil had owned Mumbai, would it have made any difference, since Anil is more inclined towards sports?
Old 29th April 2008, 14:46   #302
Senior - BHPian

You pay a player only if he plays in a game. So why would they be paying Sachin ?
Old 29th April 2008, 14:49   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
You pay a player only if he plays in a game. So why would they be paying Sachin ?
Nope, if a player is available for playing he will be paid, it doesn't matter if he plays in the game or not.

Sachin was injured & hence not available for playing, so I don't think he will be paid.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:16   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidkun View Post
Adding to the list:
Bangalore: Dravid comes in and spectators leave.

I think the Royal Challengers should be renamed to "Royally Challenged" after y'day's match!
ha ha and thank God that he decided to leave early. But seriously, watching RC loosing from a wining position was kind of nostalgic nightmares we used to had with the age-old Indian national Cricket team, probably it was during the days of Azhar and all.They always used to snatch defeat from the jaws of Victory.Frustrating is the only word I should say.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:28   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Nope, if a player is available for playing he will be paid, it doesn't matter if he plays in the game or not.

Sachin was injured & hence not available for playing, so I don't think he will be paid.
I'm sure Sachin got paid enough without playing for even posing with the team and being the non-playing captain. He wouldnt do that for free.
Old 29th April 2008, 15:38   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
1. Dhoni is a master at captaining his team
2. No one gets as lucky as Dhoni when it comes to cricket these days. He is the guy with the "Midas Touch"
3. RC is the most pathetic team in the IPL after MI.
4. RD has no clue what T20 is all about!
5. Wasim Jaffer can indeed play the big shots
Dhoni goes mostly by gut feeling and creating an element of surprise. We have seen him throw the ball to Joginder Sharma, Piyush Chawla and Praveen Kumar (for India) in the mostly unlikely situations. He is doing the same with the Chennai Super Kings.

Likewise, his batting. For the first 10 deliveries, Dhoni could not put bat to ball. Had he got out then, his team would have ended up with a lower total and ultimately lost.

If Jaffer can repeat his antics, well and good. But do remember that he was also dropped twice. Boucher needs to bat up the order and with Misbah coming in, they are 2 players who can control the pace of the game.

Charu Sharma has graciously admitted that they made the fundamental mistake of packing the side with quality bowlers hoping they could restrict sides to modest totals. Wrong strategy in T20, especially on flat tracks with short boundaries.
Old 29th April 2008, 17:43   #307
Senior - BHPian

Well Ganguly and fireworks???? It aint been happening for quite sometime
Old 29th April 2008, 17:51   #308
BANNED

Charu Sharma, CEO of RC Bangalore - got his strategy wrong, performance fell, share price crashed and sent his company to oblivion. Will he fired?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
Charu Sharma has graciously admitted that they made the fundamental mistake of packing the side with quality bowlers hoping they could restrict sides to modest totals. Wrong strategy in T20, especially on flat tracks with short boundaries.
Old 29th April 2008, 19:14   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Here is the field umpire report - The Mystery Deepens
Smoke Signals
Saheeba has got a 2 match ban and has also been served a notice by the IPL for expressing his view on the Bhajji-Sree episode. Sounds real strange that IPL didn't bother to question the field umpires on what happened.

Coming back to the Mumbai Indians, Pollock in an interview said that the team will see how Sachin feels before the match. Headlines today showed a glimpse of Sachin going through a fitness test and was looking very much in pain and confirmed that Tendulkar will not be playing today.

I really don't have words to express the stupidity of the Mumbai Team selection. I'm sure Ambani is the last person to lose sleep over this, he ain't got the time to think about petty millions.
Old 29th April 2008, 19:17   #310
BHPian

Extremely disappointed with Bangalore defeat. Jack Kallis is biggest disappointment. He used to be a good allrounder. I don't know what is wrong with him in this IPL. I don't know why they selected so many South Africans who are known chokers.

On the other hand, I am very much impressed with Chennai team. Even more surprising is that they don't have a single established bowler and still they deliver for their captain.

I rate Dhoni as one of the best captain in the history of cricket !
Old 29th April 2008, 21:17   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
Mukesh Ambani bet Anil Ambani in the auction. If Anil had owned Mumbai, would it have made any difference, since Anil is more inclined towards sports?
Who cares? Its his money.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:05   #312
Senior - BHPian

I just watched Ishant Sharma cleaning up Sanath Jayasuriya and what a sight it was! WHAT A SIGHT!

The off stump did 5 cartwheels before it finally landed on the ground.

EDIT: One more down. Mumbai looking more and more like the Indians of yore.

Last edited by Steeroid : 29th April 2008 at 22:08.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:11   #313
BHPian

Missing the game today; its raining cats and dogs here and as usual there is a power cut.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:21   #314
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Indians 38/3 in 6 overs. Seems like Uthappa has to try to do the bulk scoring today.
Old 29th April 2008, 22:48   #315
Senior - BHPian

101/3 in 13 overs. Seems like MI is finally heading for a win ! 37 to win from 6.3 overs.

Most Viewed