Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:01   #1216
Team-BHP Support

Yay!
MY second favorite team wins
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:04   #1217
BHPian

The match actually went beyond 12 midnight and so is probably the first 20-20 match to be played over 2 days! The last ball win for RR over CSK was an absolute thriller for the audience. Would have preferred a team captained by an Indian to win the tournament. Dropping Y Pathan was probably the most significant turning point.
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:11   #1218
Senior - BHPian

What a fitting finale! Two most consistent teams captained by the 2 best leaders putting up an exciting finish in the final of the best T20 league in the world, cant ask for more!

Shane Warne is the ultimate competitor. He has done it over and over and over again. Congrats RR!
Old 2nd June 2008, 07:06   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian

i was supporting chennai, but their fielding was disappointing. i think the best team won it. great show by RR.

and i am very glad that all page-3 teams got what they deserved.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:20   #1220
BHPian

Yusuf Pathan's catch missed by Raina was the turning point for sure. But it went all the way to the last ball. Fitting finale and congrats to RR. I would have like CSK to win and Dhoni lifting the trophy!
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:25   #1221
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic show by RR, Kudos to warnie!!!

Yusuf is a great find hope he would continue with this form!
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:43   #1222
BHPian

Congrates R.Royals for putting up great show.

The way they played in whole IPL,they fully deserved to win.
Old 2nd June 2008, 09:47   #1223
Senior - BHPian

Damn it CSK lost ! But Kudos to Warne & his team. End of the day the better team won ! Yusuf's batting, Raina's dropped catch and not to forget Balaji's spell was the turning point. Dhoni should have had completed Balaji s spell in the beginning and Goni should have accompanied the quickies ( Ntini & Morkel).
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:33   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

What was Dhoni thinking giving Balaji the last over?
similar to what sachin was thinking Nehra when he gave him the last overs in many matches

Congrats to RR. Another bunch of Men in Blue (apart from MI) win!

Last edited by amtak : 2nd June 2008 at 10:34.
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:52   #1225
Senior - BHPian

Kudus to Warnie & team!

They deserved to win for their consistent performance, team effort & inspiring leadership of Warnie!
Old 2nd June 2008, 10:57   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Woh man, what a cracker of a match! Well, the two that turned the tide in favour of RR (in my opinion) -
  • You cannot, repeat, cannot drop Yusuf Pathan twice (you guys are mentioning Raina, don't forget Gony dropping him off his own bowling too)
  • Leaving Badrinath for so late in the order - he should have come in ahead of Chamara Kapugedera to get another 10 or 15 vital runs on the board
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
That overweight Aussie is one of the greatest cricketers ever and a cricketing genius.
Maybe but I've never liked him

OK guys, now that its over, what are you going to do between 8 & 11 every evening?! Got a hollow feeling already. Really, the IPL has changed our lives quite a bit over the past month & a half - a lot of families have also spent a lot more quality time together, I know that my family has & I'm grateful for that.

Last edited by suman : 2nd June 2008 at 11:01.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:09   #1227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
similar to what sachin was thinking Nehra when he gave him the last overs in many matches
Can't be compared! That was in a different league altogether! I think choosing Balaji was a big gamble (as he wanted Ntini to try tighten things for last over, as someone pointed out) and choosing Nehra was suicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
OK guys, now that its over, what are you going to do between 8 & 11 every evening?! Got a hollow feeling already.
Do you think it should be an annual event?

1. IPL commissioner thinks it should be twice a year.
2. Players think once a year.
3. Somehow, i have a feeling it will lose its value if played every year, as the duration is almost two months. So, i think once in two years is the correct interval.

Whats the opinion? Now that the tournament is over, we could have a separate poll.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:10   #1228
Senior - BHPian

A great finale to a surprisingly well-run tournament, very edge-of-the-seat last-ball stuff. Terrific show by both teams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What was Dhoni thinking giving Balaji the last over?
It is easy to dissect a match after the result is known. It was a well-fought match and I personally think Chennai lost because of their fielding (or rather, the lack of it!) - Gony's first over was a preview of the fielding mishaps that were to happen, with Vidyut Sivaramakrishnan not trying hard enough to stop a boundary.

All said and done both teams fought well and we got to see a good final. The captains know best and they did not disappoint us - one of them had to lose at the end.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:21   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
Dropping Y Pathan was probably the most significant turning point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Yusuf Pathan's catch missed by Raina was the turning point for sure.
While I agree it was crucial, but for me the turning point was when the umpire Billy Bowden gave a brilliant decision in declaring Yusuf Pathan not out, off Morkel. The ball had hit Pathan's helmet, but the first impression was an edge off his bat.

The usually cool MS Dhoni was furious with that decision, even had a nasty word or two with Bowden. I think CSK lost it from that point. Just my opinion.

But hats off to RR. Take a bow, Shane Warne and the entire RR team.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:34   #1230
Senior - BHPian

@ Caat,

Brilliant decision on the not out by Bowden but then he did not signal a leg bye. And that is what Dhoni was upset about - if Bowden did not give leg byes it could only mean Pathan got some bat on it, which means that Pathan was out.

Once a year should be fine - ideally I would prefer it once every 2 years.

Yes I am feeling hollow too - but in 5 days starts the EURO 2008. So lets take some rest before we plunge head long into action again coming Sunday.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 2nd June 2008 at 11:39.

Most Viewed