Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:36   #1231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
but for me the turning point was when the umpire Billy Bowden gave a brilliant decision in declaring Yusuf Pathan not out, off Morkel. The ball had hit Pathan's helmet, but the first impression was an edge off his bat.

The usually cool MS Dhoni was furious with that decision, even had a nasty word or two with Bowden. I think CSK lost it from that point. Just my opinion.
Yes, Billy Bowden is one of the Best Umpires in Intl Cricket!
And this decision has proved so, infact, the entire CSK team was confident & shouting for the out decision, but Billy was not convinced & didn't give it out!

Atleast, we had the luxury of seeing the replay & noticing the ball hitting off the helmet, but Billy just had a fraction of sec to notice & give the decision.

Was surprising to see Dhoni saying something angrily to Billy, I thought CSK lost the Fair play award, but I guess they didn't account the final match.

Last edited by finneyp : 2nd June 2008 at 11:37.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:42   #1232
Senior - BHPian

Well all in all an awesome match and RR deserved to win after the management was blasted for not spending much in the first auctions. Well all i can say is ipl should be held once a year and please some change the trophy which is presented. A cup without crystals would be so much better than that.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:44   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
@ Caat,

Brilliant decision on the not out by Bowden but then he did not signal a leg bye. And that is what Dhoni was upset about - if Bowden did not give leg byes it could only mean Pathan got some bat on it, which means that Pathan was out.
I think he missed out on signalling a leg-bye in the heat of the situation, but make no mistake he was very very sure that Pathan was indeed not out.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:54   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Do you think it should be an annual event?

1. IPL commissioner thinks it should be twice a year.
2. Players think once a year.
3. Somehow, i have a feeling it will lose its value if played every year, as the duration is almost two months. So, i think once in two years is the correct interval.

Whats the opinion? Now that the tournament is over, we could have a separate poll.
Quote:
Once a year should be fine - ideally I would prefer it once every 2 years.
Already MS Dhoni was talking of the fatigue factor and lack of rest between the games. Imagine IPL being held twice a year! Apart from putting players under serious strain, it would also cause a complete turmoil as far as ICC schedule is concerned.

Once every year for me, with couple of matches less per team. But we never know. With Australia, Pakistan and England planning their own leagues, who knows, what's there in store for the game and its fans. It would take a brave man to make any predictions at this moment.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:57   #1235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Well all i can say is ipl should be held once a year and please some change the trophy which is presented. A cup without crystals would be so much better than that.
What a waste of a trophy it was ! Needs to be more simple rather than the crystals stuff.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:58   #1236
Senior - BHPian

Am sure Australian cricket board will be planning something on the lines of IPL!
If that happens, majority of Aussie & NZ players would prefer to play at home, don't know how IPL will fare then.

I also prefer once-a-year IPL.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:13   #1237
BANNED

Clearly, Dhoni missed his ace - Joginder Sharma.

When an MI bowler bowled a wide in the last over, Sachin made a hue & cry over it in the presentation ceremony. Today he was in the stands and watched a CSK bowler bowl a wide in the last over. Dhoni didn't mention about that.

Maybe Sachin got a lesson is sportive behavior.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:13   #1238
Team-BHP Support

Well I suggest that IPL should try to rope in NZ Australia England as partners instead of competitors. Too many leagues work for football because of the huge number of teams, but in case of IPL, its going to kill the franchise.
So best would be to have 8-9 more teams(eg Bhopal, Pune etc.,) and make teams play one match against each other.
This way lots of new talent will get in(after all there is a limited number of stars),
This tournament has been won by players who were unknowns before they shone here!
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:17   #1239
Senior - BHPian

Australia, New Zealand do not have the population to support something like IPL. Only England can do something like this.
But then, how can anyone match the richness of cricket in India. It will be very difficult for players to turn down IPL and the cash it offers.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:21   #1240
Senior - BHPian

Australians are equally crazy about cricket & they certainly can stage something like IPL.

Can't say the same for NZ, England etc.
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:23   #1241
Senior - BHPian

I hear that Sahara is getting the Kanpur team and Anil Ambani getting the Ahmedabad team next year ?
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:30   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
I hear that Sahara is getting the Kanpur team and Anil Ambani getting the Ahmedabad team next year ?
h

Ooh so some more teams coming up !!
Old 2nd June 2008, 12:43   #1243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Before the final match started, Lalit Modi said in an interview that there wont be no new teams for the next 2 years. But there will one new team the following year and then 1 more the next year and 2 teams the following year. That means a total of 12 teams.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:09   #1244
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am feeling hollow too - but in 5 days starts the EURO 2008. So lets take some rest before we plunge head long into action again coming Sunday.
yay! Euro2008 for me too

Quote:
Before the final match started, Lalit Modi said in an interview that there wont be no new teams for the next 2 years. But there will one new team the following year and then 1 more the next year and 2 teams the following year. That means a total of 12 teams.
yeah he said that on telly..

I feel they should have IPL twice a year, with players rotated, that will take out the stress factor, they should employ that for India team too. IPL can surely be held twice a year, they buy like 25-30 players in a team, easily they can have two teams by shuffling players.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:17   #1245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Australians are equally crazy about cricket & they certainly can stage something like IPL.

Can't say the same for NZ, England etc.
According to my readings from australian newspapers, they are still crazy about cricket but the money is not.
For England, they already have a county competition and would be turning that into T20.

Most Viewed