Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 12:44   #31
rkg
Senior - BHPian

never disclose card number(credit/debit) to any one asking for it on phone or by mail. call is not from bank . especially last four digits of card. These four digits give a clue to customer identity especially to a/c, because part of the debit card number is branch code. correct me if iam wrong
Old 10th April 2008, 12:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

bro i guess you just escaped an attempt of "social engineering" You were smart enough not to give your details. Thanks for sharing this with us , I guess we should pass such info to the better halfs and friends as they might provide such info without knowing that it is a scam.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:53   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
...also the call i got was from not starting with 285 and all the citibank cust care nos are starting from 285 ....

All Citibank Customer care numbers in all cities end with 2484 (in chennai the starting is 285...)
Old 10th April 2008, 13:12   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Blue Thunder : All Citibank Customer care numbers in all cities end with 2484 (in chennai the starting is 285...)
Out-bound calls & In-coming calls dont have to be, and will not be from the same numbers.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:17   #35

A funny call

My uncle recently narrated this experience with a call he received:

Lady calling in: "Sir, you have been specially chosen to receive a personal loan for Rs.X, would you be interested?
My Uncle:" yes, yes, but please tell me your name"
Lady: "Sir, this is Usha (random name) here"
Uncle: "Usha, are you a Hindu?"
Lady: <confused but decides to proceed>"Yes sir"
Uncle: "In that case you must believe in rebirth right?"
Lady: <Totally confused now but does not know what to do> "ummm yes sir"
Uncle: "In that case, please lend me the money and I will pay it back in my next birth !"
Lady: <At this point you expect her to hang-up, but no!> "Sir, I will have to talk to my supervisor about this"

Don't know how true this is, but knowing my uncle its highly likely. In any case I thought it to be damn funny and nowadays wait to receive a similar call
Old 24th November 2017, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

Re: Weird call from Citibank customer care

Could possibly be a phishing call. Your name and number may be part of their 'database'. Citibank is a common card. If you indeed had a citi card. there is a good chance that you may not remember the last 4 digits or even bother to verify. Once they gain your confidence, they try to extract more details
Old 24th November 2017, 14:28   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Could possibly be a phishing call. Your name and number may be part of their 'database'. Citibank is a common card. If you indeed had a citi card. there is a good chance that you may not remember the last 4 digits or even bother to verify. Once they gain your confidence, they try to extract more details
Utterly OT:: Replying to a 10 year old thread. Rahul might actually have a Citibank card now
Old 24th November 2017, 14:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Goodness!!! Never checked the date. Cant control my laughter.

10 yrs ago such phishing was not as common. I actually was searching for http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...trol-bunk.html to post one of my experiences and found this thread also as part of Google search and added my 2 paisa to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks