Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2008, 09:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Night of horror in Noida

TOI NOIDA: Goons on bikes, stopping people at random and firing at the smallest provocation. Noida lived through a nightmare on Tuesday when a 25-year-old former airhostess was shot in the dead of night on a main road, just an hour after a retired army officer escaped death in resisting an attempt to snatch his car.

Noida's night of horror

More detailed news in TOI paper, will find & post

In Both the cases the car was Hyundai Accent I am not sure if this was a mere coincident or they were looking for someone specific driving an Accent.

EDIT: More Details

Quote:

Shooting spree in Noida, 1 dead

New Delhi: In two incidents within minutes of each other in Noida late on Tuesday night, a former airhostess was killed and a retired lieutenant general shot at by motorcycle-borne assailants. The former army man, who drove back home with three bullets in his chest before he was admitted to hospital, is stable.
Around 11.25pm, Sheeba Thomas, a former flight attendant with the Virgin Atlantic, was shot dead in Sector 31, near Nithari village. Eyewitnesses said four men on two bikes blocked her Accent car at a crossing. An argument followed and she kicked one of the men. Another man then drew out a gun and shot her.
Thomas had quit her job with the airlines about 10 days ago to start a business with her boyfriend. She was reportedly from Nagpur and her parents were abroad. ‘‘It could be a fallout of a love affair. We have detained her boyfriend and his friend and they are being questioned,’’ said a senior police official. Police have ruled out robbery as a motive.
In the second incident, T J S Gill, a retired lieutenant general, who was returning to his Sector 44 home, was fired at three times by motorcycle-borne assailants at 11.45pm near the Amity crossing in the same sector. Gill, 65, managed to drive home with the bullet injuries. His son admitted him to the Army Hospital in Delhi.
The incidents followed three others, taking the number of shootouts in Delhi and adjoinin areas in the past 48 hours to five. TNN & AGENCIES

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th April 2008 at 09:36.
Old 10th April 2008, 09:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Horrific......cant believe this is happening in India. So far , atleast the gun-toting-firing was limited to inter-gang rivalry shootouts. Now the common-man is getting targeted.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
TOI NOIDA: Goons on bikes, stopping people at random and firing at the smallest provocation. Noida lived through a nightmare on Tuesday when a 25-year-old former airhostess was shot in the dead of night on a main road, just an hour after a retired army officer escaped death in resisting an attempt to snatch his car.
Yes, this is shocking indeed. But I cannot fathom why she got out & started having a scuffle with the goons, being so late in the evening & she being alone. At that time of the night, it would be suicidal getting into a confrontation - even at the risk of the car being snatched, I think she should have just backed off, perhaps she would be alive today

Last edited by suman : 10th April 2008 at 10:20.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

From what is printed in Paper, she hit one guy with teh door & kicked him I am not sure if this was really brave or stupid as only some one who was on the spot can know this.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

we can only speculate.

Maybe she should've just hit those guys with her car and run over them.
Old 10th April 2008, 11:54   #6
Team-BHP Support

If they wanted the car why did they not take it.
Its quite possible that she fought because she knew the victims and never expected them to kill her.

But I guess if you are stopped by an obstacle you can run down, don't hesitate.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:37   #7
BHPian

Never Never stop on a deserted road. Even if that means a poor old soul, a weak old man, a girl/women alone with bonnet open etc.
Been there done that.

And yes. For no reason at all, bikers earn yet more bad name.
Old 10th April 2008, 12:42   #8
BHPian

Damn scary news. Hope such incidents are controlled quickly by the police, else others would get inspired....Very sad case.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

There might have been a history of issues with the guys involved and the girl.I dont think any girl would attack a stranger,and more over how did he travel with a gun in his pockets.
ram
Old 10th April 2008, 13:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

The online report is not complete, these very goons had attacked the Lt general & had also looted a few others. Th paper read that the goons were well equipped (read pistols) & didnt blink before firing them, it also says that they were cool, one of the guys who was robbed of his money & mobile phone said that they only took money from his wallet & not the entire wallet & also gave back his sim card when he told them that he has lots of numbers in it.

They basically got only the stuff they could carry on bikes & thats why the girl's laptop & other belongings were not touched. I think they must have approached her to get the some dough & she must have tried to attack them(by door) for safety
Old 10th April 2008, 13:25   #11
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Damn scary news. Hope such incidents are controlled quickly by the police, else others would get inspired....Very sad case.
Yep, we travel at night often and i am not gonna take my family out to noida now at night.

Anyways, noida police is only seen during deewali time collecting gifts from every company. Remaining time, they are stationed on DnD collecting money from commercial vehicles.

Dont expect them to tackle crime...thats for private security guards.
Old 10th April 2008, 13:30   #12
BHPian

I've lived in Sec. 36 for 2 years, and me and my wife used to go out for a night walk pretty late in the night, on the same road where it happened. Even now, I have travelled on Noida roads in wee hours of morning, alone and with my family.

I never considered Noida un-safe but these incidents have sure made me think again.

\N
Old 10th April 2008, 13:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

The news channels will have a field day. There will be a debate, "Is Delhi safe?" Is South India a better place to live in than North India? What are the police doing? Guns in India !!!

All these debates happened after some of the high profile rapes/murders that happened in Delhi a few yrs back !!
Old 10th April 2008, 13:54   #14
BHPian

^sigh. You are so right. I am not even going to switch on any news channels for a couple of days!!
Old 10th April 2008, 14:01   #15
Team-BHP Support

I never roll down the window, and even when I see an accident etc., on the road I do not stop.
Its better to be safe than virtuous.

Most Viewed