Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 14:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
How does one control this?
Well simple. Put your music (your favourite song) on loud and listen and sing along. This will ease out these kind of things. I do this thing some times which will definately ease out my anger. Try this (if possible)
Old 11th April 2008, 14:58   #17

I feel that good soothing music generally tends to help. Stay away from music that gets you all excited.

I generally listen to jazz, works wonders for me and dont forget to turn up that A/C
Old 11th April 2008, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am kinda scared so initiating this thread to see if any mishap can be averted. I have been driving for almost a decade now. Proud to say that I am a reasonable driver, don't overspeed, stop at all red lights even at odd times adn generally not in a rush while driving. I have driven an Omni for most of my ealry years, an Ikon flair in the last couple of years and currently driving a Swift.

Situation: I am getting more and more impatient on the road these days. Any rickshaw, two wheeler or auto that does its customary stupid driving on the road leads to a burning anger inside me to get out and thrash that guy or mow it down. It has gotten worse in the last couple of months. I just HATE anyone who interrupts me because of his over eagerness, plain stupidity or plain ego. In short, my tolerance levels have gone low.

I am scared that this might lead to a scuffle on the road someday, which I will regret on hindsight. But I want to be in a psoition to prevent this from happening.

Any idea why this change is happening ? I am normally an easy going guy without any ,touchwood, pressures or stress that have affected me lately.

How do I prevent a mishap ? Need Help !!!!

I know the feeling and this is what i do
I take a walk pretty brisk every morning for an hr cover abt 7 kms ... double ben... healthy and vents a lot of the anger / frustration
when you feel you are getting frustrated teake a few deep breaths
think of you wife / lil one / parents at home and what would happen / who would take care of them if something untoward werte to happen

thinkof a place which makes you happy / relaxed... picture it call it your happy place and every time you feel like you are getting frustrated / angry ... go to your happy place /...
Put your music (your favourite song) on loud and listen and sing along
Old 11th April 2008, 15:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

May I suggest you guys a shrink?

Old 11th April 2008, 15:30   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Ah! So, tell me, do you think this is normal or do you also feel the need to do some meditation and mind control?
If the concerned bikers have learnt their lesson, i believe its justified.
They shouldnt take the road for granted, as if they were riding inside their bedrooms.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:28   #21
BHPian

Naah, I think the traffic is bad enough to make anyone impatient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
What about off the road. Are you getting impatient in your personal/professional life also (Please dont get me wrong, i know its a kind of personal question). How are your tolerance levels in general ?

I am asking this because it may well be something related to a physical ailment, example, and underactive or overactive thyroid gland which can lead to drastic mood changes and decrease in tolerance levels, mood swings, frequent bouts of anger, etc.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:34   #22
Team-BHP Support

Keep a picture of your child or your nephew/ neice.
or a family picture of a happy moment.

When angry look at it.

Calms you better than anything else in the world.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2008, 17:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

You came up with this thread at the right time, rippergeo. I can identify with you, I share the exact same emotions and am prone to momentary fits of rage towards other road users(the moronic ones).

Strangely, however, I am able to tolerate the bikes better, maybe it was because I was(am still) a biker at heart. I know what they will do and sometimes I pre-empt their moves by not giving enough space for them to squeeze in, and I am usually faster than most bikers, unless it is stop go traffic. Where it is not possible to pre-empt, I give them a wide berth.

Last edited by kuttapan : 11th April 2008 at 17:52.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Eddy, having the guts to say 'i am loosing it' takes a lot! good for you. I listen to comedy drama, (SV Sekar Drama's in Tamil are quite hilarous), ISKON Lord Krishna Bhajans, of course, only on those days when it was kind of bad.

I dont know what you speak, but one thing you can agree is 'Friends' entire series is available on CD's, Audio of course. Check it out, just hearing them can make you laugh your way...

cheers
san
Old 11th April 2008, 20:23   #25
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Eddy, just quit driving or minimise it. If u can take a rick or a bus, take it.

I used to go on long drives but now i dont even like to take out my car to go to market 1 km away. I feel relaxed a lot, no anger and no frsutration at all. Its easy on the pocket as well.
Old 11th April 2008, 20:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
I have a sticker (the only one in my car) on the rear windscreen which says "I FOLLOW TRAFFIC RULES".. Its a reminder to my fellow motorists as well as myself - I just have to glance at the rear view mirror to read it and sober down (most of the time ).
i want to paste one too . where did you get it from?
Old 11th April 2008, 20:59   #27
BHPian

Hi Eddy, true, traffic can be infuriating at times, there was a time when I've arrived at my destination just wishing to clout somebody over the head ! Like many have said, soothing music works wonders, comedy tracks or radio shows work even better.

But the one thing that really worked, for me at least, was simply to start earlier !
Old 11th April 2008, 21:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I am scared that this might lead to a scuffle on the road someday, which I will regret on hindsight. But I want to be in a psoition to prevent this from happening.

Any idea why this change is happening ? I am normally an easy going guy without any ,touchwood, pressures or stress that have affected me lately.

Its true with me too. I suggest you turn on AC, listen to some good pleasant music. Keep reminding your self rickshaw guys and other mischief-mongers do so for lack of training.

Change the seat position to a relaxing one a little away from steering.
Old 11th April 2008, 21:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Eddy, true, traffic can be infuriating at times, there was a time when I've arrived at my destination just wishing to clout somebody over the head ! Like many have said, soothing music works wonders, comedy tracks or radio shows work even better.

But the one thing that really worked, for me at least, was simply to start earlier !
Agree with Srini here

Try the following

1. Start Early, so you are not in a hurry to reach someplace and have a buffer..

2. Avoid driving fast, it pumps up the adrenalin and if you have to brake hard due to someone else's foolishness, increases your BP and chances of road rage too.

3. Listen to music, it helps...

4. If someone does a wrong thing, will you do the same ? and be like them ? If not, let others flout rules and drive crazily, but you being sensible and knowing the value of life, should drive sensibly...this goes for all who think that by overtaking from the left and cutting in front of me, gives them a great advantage ... I think they are fools, how much time they can save even if I let them come in front of me (few secs?)

At the end, it's just how you can maintain your posture and be peaceful, remember High BP, Hypertension never helped anyone..so keep your cool and drive sensibly...

I'd like to add here, that I too feel the same road rage at times, especially when I see people coming from the other side on a well lit road (Without a divider) using High Beams and think are they blind or what? I turn to high beam for a few seconds...and sometimes wish I had a truck so that I could goto the wrong lane without any worries and blind them....till they stop the car/vehicle....
Old 11th April 2008, 21:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Start weight training in the gym or yoga if its your thing, water and lots of sex . Boy, does it help!

Most Viewed