Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2008, 21:37   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Start weight training in the gym or yoga if its your thing, water and lots of sex . Boy, does it help!
I hope not in the car . Like Srini said try to start early or drive during off peak hours, trust me it works better than any thing else.
Old 11th April 2008, 22:49   #32
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Start weight training in the gym or yoga if its your thing, water and lots of sex . Boy, does it help!
weight training just makes me angrier. cardio helps. so does yoga.
and the sex

Old 11th April 2008, 22:49   #33
BHPian

I've been driving my car for the past one year , what I have noticed is
If I play Heavy metal or Rock, I tend to drive rashly and get Impatient
Lounge music or Ambient - tend to feel sleepy
My fav -House Music- I tend to enjoy the driving and I make sure that i'm not entering the peak hours, I try to reach office early and spend peacefully than spend miserably in the chaotic traffic.

Last edited by romyeo4u : 11th April 2008 at 22:50. Reason: typo
Old 12th April 2008, 01:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I've noticed that

1. the faster the car i'm driving, the greater my road rage
2. the slower the other car/vehicle-greater my rage
5. the absolute worst If I drive with my windows down.
6. easier to react in anger and behave in an uncouth manner if i know the other car will never catch up with me.

i must add that, road rage, in my case occurs only when i feel i have been wronged, pushed around or put in danger. which is usually the case with most people.
very well written man. Your posts of late have struck me as quite balanced. I've just kept what fits me as well - and that explains the comparative sage I am at the steering wheel compared to the bike. I only gesticulate on the bike when I'm sure I cna get away with it

@prabuddha: That being said, as a biker and a quite aggressive one, I have become worse of late (though saner on the highways). However, I still pay lot more attention to the car guys I slip between - almost always observing their slightest instance of them getting angry or cutting back at me. That being said, any scrapes are very very very very rare, like once in three months. And I pay special care in ~20ish traffic when mistakes are liable and I can posibly end up hitting someone's rear view mirrors (i know how costly they can be!) - the only time I ever hit one is an accord (?) which I touched inadvertently while being transfixed by a passing S class limo to my left - even that RVM kinda was flexible and opened out. touch wood. warna accord ka RVM = depreciated cost of my bike!!
Old 12th April 2008, 08:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Very appropriate thread. Holds true for a lot of us. Some days are worse than the others. Have been trying to:

a) let people pass - whenever I see ultra aggressive driving - I'd rather become part of their rear view mirror in the distance than roadkill
b) say thanks when I realize i've just been aggressive and someone did the above to me
c) be "politer" on the road whenever there's a need to be firm. This is a tough one in practice, especially when people honk the second it turns green, or cut lanes to turn right or left, but trying really hard.

Should we try and organize anti-rage classes or some such with the traffic cops, and get as many road users from across segments as possible? Maybe instead of fines - a quick and slightly humour laced 5 min workshop on the roadside ? Just being conscious/reminded once in a while this helps.
Old 12th April 2008, 08:20   #36
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
very well written man. Your posts of late have struck me as quite balanced. I've just kept what fits me as well - and that explains the comparative sage I am at the steering wheel compared to the bike. I only gesticulate on the bike when I'm sure I cna get away with it
flattery will get you nowhere
but waht does of late mean? have my initial posts been betraying my mental state?

seriously though, I'm a family man myself now, and have realised, that the repercussions of my poor self control have wider effects, than when i was a bachelor. that sobers me up quite well.

Old 12th April 2008, 12:52   #37
Senior - BHPian

I meant your PalioD review - was as balanced as a swiftD owner could get. rest we're all subjective. and you didn't respond to provocation like many of us are wont to, on threads.

and eddy, I think you've just recently had your roka. Isnt that reason enough to prevent road rage? Think about it. For a sec, imagine such an incident in which no one wins. And one man's bride to be watches it all. and then step into that man's shoes.
Old 12th April 2008, 16:35   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
i want to paste one too . where did you get it from?
Rotary Club of Pune put one in my mail box, though I am not a member. Its like a written oath now - Now I feel ashamed when I break traffic rules
Old 13th April 2008, 17:49   #39
Senior - BHPian

OT?

I hope this doesn't sound like rubbish, but I know (a few examples of) two kinds of people. The first, like you, been calm all their life. Running out of patience rapidly. The second, like me. Driving since only a couple of years and slightly overconfident, random pangs of overspeeding (I admit). Started off impatient, now learning to keep calm and be patient, an incident on the road just isn't worth it.

Make that three kinds of people actually. I forgot to mention the ones that are calm all throughout their years on the road. Hats off to them.
Old 23rd August 2008, 20:17   #40
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I had not posted here for long because I was trying hard and making a an effort to implement the suggestions.

They have worked, to a great extent. I have been more patient while driving.

However, there are very occasional pangs of frustration, especially at the NH8 Delhi-Ggn toll plaza when motorists just change lanes at their will to save 30 seconds.

Thanks Guys !!!
Old 23rd August 2008, 22:01   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Eddy, glad that you are feeling better.

Drive Safe. It's worth it.
Old 23rd August 2008, 23:03   #42
BHPian

I think some unlearning helps. I realize a lot of rage stems from perfectionism - expecting that everyone should and will follow the rules.

This is a cause of a lot of stress in personal, work and 'road' life. It helps to inculcate an attitude of tolerating imperfection. I know this is easier said than done, but I find it soothes down anger a bit.
Old 24th August 2008, 01:49   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your inputs. I had not posted here for long because I was trying hard and making a an effort to implement the suggestions.

They have worked, to a great extent. I have been more patient while driving.

However, there are very occasional pangs of frustration, especially at the NH8 Delhi-Ggn toll plaza when motorists just change lanes at their will to save 30 seconds.

Thanks Guys !!!
Hey Eddy. I just saw this thread. Don't know how I missed this one but from what I read, trust me! You and me share the same feeling. Traffic here in Dehil/Gurgaon can be harsh on the nerves. Couple that with the pathetic roads and the road sense that people have, . The feeling of frustration is not just confined to the drive but even while crossing the road, no one wants to stop and let the person cross. So for me, this too is a boiling point but I tell myself that you can't change fools and that you shouldn't make a fool out of yourself by trying to stoop down to their level. Just relax and move on. This is what I do. Although, it's maybe not helping in the long run (as it has to boil over someday) but for the last couple of years, it's avoided me landing a punch on anyone's jaw or car. Add to this a exotic holiday that I take every 6 months and the stress (of Delhi Traffic) just disappears.

Try doing the same, maybe it'll help.

Cheers!
M2S
Old 24th August 2008, 01:53   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
I think some unlearning helps. I realize a lot of rage stems from perfectionism - expecting that everyone should and will follow the rules.

This is a cause of a lot of stress in personal, work and 'road' life. It helps to inculcate an attitude of tolerating imperfection. I know this is easier said than done, but I find it soothes down anger a bit.
Very well captured glass! - I've done some introspection over the last couple of years and have come to a similar conclusion - the more you expect others to achieve your levels of performance / efficiency - the higher is the disappointment / anger!

At least on the road, my outlet has been - lounge/fusion/smooth techno and pleasant thoughts of meeting family / friends upon reaching the destination.
Old 24th August 2008, 02:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Amazingly, i did the same thing as well. And Twice.
You want to get jailed or something? What if he loses balance and gets run over by someone? Or even you, for that matter? That's pretty much attempted murder.

Most Viewed