Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 22:46   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
it would be a good idea to have some candy/ chocolates in the car.
And just when I join a gym to shed off 5 extra kilos and 2 inches, you come with this

But yes, AC and music has helped me a lot and things have been better lately.
Old 3rd June 2009, 23:16   #62
BHPian

Music that you like is one option. Please spend more time with your girlfriend/wife as much as possible that is before you step into the car and afterward also .
Old 4th June 2009, 00:12   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
And just when I join a gym to shed off 5 extra kilos and 2 inches, you come with this

But yes, AC and music has helped me a lot and things have been better lately.
Losing weight is never a bad thing, buddy. Staying in shape (and venting it out in the gym, if you will) would definitely help you stay calm when on the road. You could try learning some martial arts too, as that really helps you keep a check on your anger and at the same time gives you numerous skills to defend yourself.
Old 28th June 2009, 11:56   #64
BHPian

This happened on Friday at the Fame Lido Mall, Bangalore.

I park my car and about to get down, when i feel something hit my car. The kid who got into the drivers seat of the accord next to me, was the source. I tell him 'you hit my car when you opened the door', but he does it again and says 'there are no damages right, so what'.

Not wanting to spoil the evening with my wifey, I try talking to him but all the three kids confront me saying 'whats your problem man, no damage right, what'dya want me to do' blah blah blah. I couldnt take anymore and told him to shutup and drive-off. The kid who was in the drivers seat gets elated and says 'thats it', followed by his choicest of words in kannada.

I almost fell-off laughing what this kid was trying to prove to me. I stood back and let them drive-away. If anyone knows a rich and spoilt kid, who drives the black accord plated MT 1188, tell him he wont be lucky next time (and to watch out).

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 28th June 2009 at 11:57.
Old 29th June 2009, 08:57   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
but he does it again and says 'there are no damages right, so what'.
Sounds familiar. I encounter such people everyday. I understand it could be so frustrating. Whenever a guy overtakes incorrectly (not a rarity), honks unnecessarily or shows lack of courtesy (parking in front our garage door in spite of the NO PARKING sign - happens so often) I go so mad.

Though I drive responsibly - I'm afraid I would end up doing something stupid in response to such morons. After one such unpleasant incident a couple of years ago, I calmed down a bit. Nowadays before I react I ask myself if these losers are worth the attention. I think about my family and just move on.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:05   #66
BHPian

When I first started driving I enjoyed it so much I hardly ever thought of getting angry with anyone else on the road. I was having too much of a good time to bother about others.

Sometimes if I was in a difficult position but was able to manouevre out without too much difficulty I felt pleased I had got an opportunity to do something a little different from just driving without facing any problems. Rarely thought of saying anything to the guy who caused the problem. And anyway when you are inexperienced, you are usually trying hard to avoid making mistakes and don't have the time to notice others' mistakes.

Also I was a student/had just started working in those days and life didn't come with the same burdens that you inevitably get when you are a little older. Now I find myself abusing and shouting at others more often.

That's probably another reason for road rage - the more you drive, the less number of fun drives. Those who can make sure they enjoy the drive each time, will probably see a difference.
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:48   #67
Senior - BHPian

During my Bangalore years, whenever I used to get cut off by a bike or a car or a rick, I would get worked up, but calm down almost in a few seconds by remembering the words, "Mr. Polite". As a rule, I have always made it a point to be that.

Later when someone cuts across me, I would say "There goes Mr. Polite" and that would immediately bring a grin on my face. Maybe we can have a sticker in front of our dashboard saying Mr. Polite.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:54   #68
BHPian

Nice thread Eddy! I am a REGULAR road rager. i tend not to keep the AC on so that i have ALL the horsepower at my disposal. I HATE bikers & autos cutting in front of me! I use my loud horn, rev with my even-louder exhaust & generally am a nuisance on the road!

However, of late...i see myself in every aggressive driver who cuts in my lane & i remember how i used to be....that calms me down a LOT!

Last edited by 1self : 2nd July 2009 at 09:55.
Old 13th November 2009, 19:09   #69
BHPian

Did i do the right thing ?

Guys,

I've been driving in Delhi NCR since a while now. Arguments, Swearing, Road rage are all very familiar to me, to the best of my capabilities and patience, i try to keep as far away as possible from all this.

Yesterday's incident however, made my blood boil and has left me fuming and thinking.

Nov 12 2009. 9:30 PM
Minding my own business, driving at a steady 50-60 kms,i see a green signal (just before the Moolchand crossing in New Delhi) and decide to make haste.

Now up ahead on the Junction,in the oncoming lane, i see stationary traffic, waiting for their green,to make a right (my left).

As i approach the Signal at about 60kmph, I see an Indica suddenly emerge from the pack of vehicles and like a bat out of hell, it comes right in my path (Jumping the signal) and freeze right there (too late to react seeing me coming straight at him) !!!!!

reflexes kick in and i slam the brakes as hard as i can. Unfortunately, the Swift VXI i am driving has no ABS and since it'd been drizzling all day, the tarmac is wet.

so here i am, in an out of control car, desperately trying to maneuver, embracing for Impact.

Luckily and surprisingly, my car hands over control back to me at the very last moment..just inches away from the dreaded Indica and i manage to swerve to the right at the very last moment,but its still not enough to avoid contact *sigh*, and the right of my car brushes against his bumper while im crossing him. leaving a slight scar.

The next reflex is too yell out as loud as i can and shout out all the profanities i can think of.but, i notice the guy is busy talking on his mobile,with his gf/wife sitting right next to him and SMILING ! i also note that he is not more than 25 years in age.

to my obviously harsh and loud reaction, furious state of mind and movement towards him, all the guy has to say is F*** Y** as he continues to talk on the phone, backs up a little and drives away.

Furious as i can be, all i can think of is to follow him, and kick the living daylight out of him, but then something amazing happens.

i think its the Team-BHP effect. i sit back, light a cigarette and drive away.

looking back, i still regret not to have taught him a lesson and im still furious. but some part of me says, i did the right thing.

what do you think?
Old 13th November 2009, 19:29   #70
BHPian

You did what most of us would have done dude, no worries there. I think you would have been more frustrated if you had got into a fist fight and all that stuff.

But this does not mean you let everyone go- make sure you give them a piece of your mind which I'm sure you did this time.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th November 2009 at 19:33. Reason: Please avoid quotinga long post when its on same page, thanks
Old 13th November 2009, 19:43   #71
BHPian

One more sane driver in NCR !!!!

Yes, you did the right thing and showed a lot more maturity.

After a lot of fights and arguements, I have given up trying to argue with a nincompoop who has more time on his hands.

It does hurt when the ride gets its scratches and dents but in the end you would have still retained your sanity.

For me the worst was getting into an arguement with a guy while driving in Gurgaon and seeing his photograph and interview in the next days TOI (he is a famous cricketers brother). For me it was a nightmare for days while he was just trying to prove that he is macho to his GF.
Old 13th November 2009, 19:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Dude, you did good. Fights are messy, even if you win the fight. You win once, the urge to fight is even stronger than ever. It stops only after you get beaten up.
Old 13th November 2009, 19:50   #73
BHPian

Yes, you did the right thing by driving away. It seems from your account that the guy in the Indica was asking to be beaten up. But driving away is still the right thing - a fight is better avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sli_ce View Post
...........driving at a steady 50-60 kms,i see a green signal (just before the Moolchand crossing in New Delhi) and decide to make haste......
But before the incident happened - it is better not to speed up to beat a signal. It reduces your reaction time if the light changes, especially when there are no countdown displays or, as in your incident, if you encounter a jerk who is not paying attention.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:43   #74
Senior - BHPian

I just came back after 2 hours of Delhi roads and can totally understand how angry one can get.

Great that you kept your cool and just drove off. However, you should have inspected the damage and noted his number. Maybe a fight isn't right, but they shouldn't be let off without a decent verbal lashing.
Old 13th November 2009, 21:50   #75
Senior - BHPian

yes you did the right thing and i feel like nominating you for Nobel Peace Prize for 2010.

cheers

Most Viewed