Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2008, 18:02   #1
BHPian

BMW launches autorickshaw

Well it seems BMW is foraying into making autorickshaws.

Quote:
BMW launched the world's first twin turbo powered autorickshaw. The vehicle will be made at Bajaj's Chakan plant at Pune. There is a tie up between Bajaj and BMW for the autorickshaw which will use latest level of technology..

The autorickshaw is a bi-fuel car which can run on either petrol or CNG. In CNG mode it emits deadly poisinous gases instead of carbon dioxide and does not consume any diesel. It is said to comply with Euro -10 emission norms.

Jochen Schmalholz, BMW director of clean energy, said he hoped the poisonous technology would revolutionise global motoring and help in depletion of ozone layer increase global warming.

“CNG is the only viable solution to poision free (free meaning an extra and not free) mobility in the future,” he said.

“The production of this autorickshaw is a very important step in environment-deadly motoring and we intent to price the autorickshaw very aggresively against the Tata Nano.”

The performance of the auto is the same regardless of whether it runs on petrol or CNG and is comparable with other models like Bajaj Chetak. BMW also intents to use the same technology in Formula 1 in Nick and Robert's cars.

“This is a very significant step for us because it’s our first poisonous car that’s really ready to go,” Mr Schmalholz said.

But even with the available technology, poison-powered cars were unlikely to be hitting our streets anytime soon.

“The major set back now is the lack of infrastructure because we’d need face masks to protects us from the emissions these autorickshaw generate in all major cities, plus you also need a special license which assures that you will be driving like how other autorickshaw drivers do, that is without following any law or order” Mr Schmalholz said.

Wanna see pictures then Continue reading this post

Last edited by Mp421b : 13th April 2008 at 18:05.
Old 13th April 2008, 19:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

It's pathetic... but there could be a chance for this thread in the jokes thread.
Old 13th April 2008, 20:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

we were at guruvayur, and one of my friends said , hey look, some guy thinks his enfield is a BMW lol.

would have laughed it off, but a closer look revealed that it really was a proper BMW- shaft drive and everything
Old 13th April 2008, 21:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
we were at guruvayur, and one of my friends said , hey look, some guy thinks his enfield is a BMW lol.

would have laughed it off, but a closer look revealed that it really was a proper BMW- shaft drive and everything
If it was an old BMW in a light shade of torquise, then it is one of the few single cylinder Beemers still around. This one however has a cracked block (I know because I tried to buy it but the owner himself told me about the crack in the block) - there are 3 more of the same bike (all 1942) in Trichur, owned by 3 old men who are friends since college days and still maintained by the old man who also works on my RD.
Old 13th April 2008, 21:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

nice one!

I almost cursed the BWM guys!

Last edited by jkdas : 13th April 2008 at 21:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks