Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2008, 18:41   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Disclaimer: I am not the author for this, just posting a mailer.

1) IBM --- Right now this is the most firing company for IT professionals. In the last 6 months, this company has fired nearly 20% of their employees because of BG check and performance issues. This is the most insecure company from an IT professional's point of view. They
don't have any strategic plans at HR policies regarding employee security. No appraisals (maximum 10%).

2) TCS --- Previously its like a government IT Company . Now a days TCS also becoming firing IT company. Recently they fired on 500 people.( the people below 2 years of experience) and TCS losts so many projects recently( especially British Telecom Projects).

3) Accenture --- This is second top most firing company. The firing rate is around 5%. This depends upon outsourced projects; they have a unique
system where Accenture development centers around the world bid for a project coming into the company. Currently Philippinescentre is taking the cake and the Indian centers are in a firing mode.

4) WIPRO --- Firing people with very frequent back ground checks and firing them with out even experience letters and relieving letters (will mention as terminated from services)but will promise the employees that
they will retain them. After the project is over they will fire away. Will threaten of criminal cases against such employees if they oppose the move and has also filed against some.

5) Intel --- Recently joined the league. Running in heavy losses, hence
firing 3000 employees in the Bangalore center in a phased out manner.

6) CTS --- Has a steady firing policy (checking the Educational background and previous employment and also employee performance in work). In a Recent HCL walk-in, around 50% attendees were from this ompany. Sadly the I-pods have not helped them.

7) CSC --- Excellent package but fires folks in Background check and those on bench regularly. Recently fired 400+ employees from its subsidiary Covansys.

8) Satyam --- Currently stopped firing. The Attrition rate is very high. No firing from 2005 until now when 1000 employees were fired in Hyderabad.

9) Patni ---- They fired so many employees that currently they are facing understaffing and deficiency with number of employees. Very high attrition rate.

10) Keane India ---- This USA based company is always involved in firing employees. Although they proudly say that they don't have hire and fire policy. Recently they fired Java and as400 professionals after which most of the employees have started to pack their bags. Employees change this company within 1 year.

So take care before accepting offers from these companies.

1) Microsoft --- Has projects till 2050.

2) EDS --- Most secure company in India. Not laid off any of its employees even during 2001. Has lots of projects in Defense and financial areas.

3) HP --- Dream Company. In-house and outsourced projects

4) Infosys --- Dream Job. On a way to achieve the status of a secured, stable Govt. company.

5) AOL, Google and Yahoo - Best companies to work with, great job satisfaction as well as great salary and work environment. Rarely fires an employee. As they are internet based companies' they offer lots of opportunities to grow.

6) HCL -- A good company to be in. Called as a "retirement company."

7) HSBC--- This is the most secure company. It has never fired any employee, even when they know that the employee is showing fake experience.

8) Aricent--- a communication based software company, has never fired any employee and gives great perks & incentives, lot of projects in kitty. Minimal level of attrition.

9) KPIT Cummins Infosystems Limited ---- This is the most secure company not known to many. It has presently acquired CG Smith, Bangalore and has lots of projects in pipe line. Acquisitions plans will continue.

E&OE

Source: Companies that Fire the most in India | Share Your Work Experience

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st April 2008 at 19:41. Reason: Put the disclaimer on top
dadu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2008, 19:10   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post

5) AOL, Google and Yahoo - Best companies to work with, great job satisfaction as well as great salary and work environment. Rarely fires an employee. As they are internet based companies' they offer lots of opportunities to grow.
Yahoo was in the news few months back for firing employees and there was a similar news on TCS too. I guess they fired less performing people. Not sure though, but certainly remember reading this in ibnlive.com
Old 21st April 2008, 19:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, Firing people because they fail background checks is a VERY good thing.. I would say Good riddance to Bad rubbish!!

Check with any HR person you know. You wont believe how huge is the number of people with fake CV's,fake experience and fake degree certificates floating around in the IT industry !!

In the olden days, companies themselves used to fake project experience while sending people overseas - the most common method was to fake the time spent on PG degrees (2 years) as project experience. i.e. add 2 years exp to the person's CV!! Now that they have established themselves, they have taken the high moral ground !!

But I would still say that the less than perfect past record shouldnt stop them from weeding out the garbage who join the IT industry.
spadival is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2008, 19:47   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
5) Intel --- Recently joined the league. Running in heavy losses, hence firing 3000 employees in the Bangalore center in a phased out manner.
Dadu - this mail is utter crap

1: The Bangalore Centre, or India as a whole has less than 3000 people so they will need to recruit people to fire!

2: What losses ? Let me quote from www.ft.com
Quote:
Intel said yesterday it made a net profit of $1.4bn in the first quarter. That was down 12 per cent from the year before but in line with most Wall Street estimates. Earnings per share were 25 cents on sales of $9.7bn.
I suggest you avoid putting up such mailers after verifying the source and facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Check with any HR person you know. You wont believe how huge is the number of people with fake CV's,fake experience and fake degree certificates floating around in the IT industry !!
This is the biggest info sec threat faced by the industry.

BTW - it is a two way street, snotty nosed engineers think they are god's gift quit the company for the smallest of reasons and pay increments but no one makes a hoo haa. When a company needs to move on and survive, it is regarded as murder.

A lot of times, the jobs are eliminated but new jobs in new areas are created. Most companies strive to identify retraining opportunities. When people are let go, a lot of counselling is given, there is some anger but good companies give good separation packages and assistance whereas the snotty nosed engineer could leave the company mid project in a lurch

Last edited by ajmat : 21st April 2008 at 19:55.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2008, 19:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not specific to this thread as I said its a mailer,

but I am aware that Intel had started on a new chip design project perhaps an year or two back but then scrapped it citing quality issues and everyone related to that project also lost their jobs, it came in the newspapers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Dadu - this mail is utter crap

1: The Bangalore Centre, or India as a whole has less than 3000 people so they will need to recruit people to fire!

2: What losses ? Let me quote from www.ft.com

I suggest you avoid putting up such mailers after verifying the source and facts
Old 21st April 2008, 19:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Wetware Crisis: the Dead Sea effect : Bruce F. Webster
an interesting /relevant article
Old 21st April 2008, 20:01   #7
BANNED

A person gets 'X' salary. If he asks '2X', he won't get it. So he quits. When the same company hires a new person, they are willing to pay '2X', while incurring recruitment costs. Why don't they pay '2X' and retain the person?
Quote:
BTW - it is a two way street, snotty nosed engineers think they are god's gift quit the company for the smallest of reasons and pay increments but no one makes a hoo haa. When a company needs to move on and survive, it is regarded as murder.
diabloo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2008, 20:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not specific to this thread as I said its a mailer,

but I am aware that Intel had started on a new chip design project perhaps an year or two back but then scrapped it citing quality issues and everyone related to that project also lost their jobs, it came in the newspapers too.
No, they did not fire anyone, the project was scrapped though - different design centres globally come up with different designs and parameters, depending on the dynamic market requirements, one of them hits the spot.

Do you believe the newspapers?
Old 21st April 2008, 20:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the biggest info sec threat faced by the industry.
A lot of times, the jobs are eliminated but new jobs in new areas are created. Most companies strive to identify retraining opportunities. When people are let go, a lot of counselling is given, there is some anger but good companies give good separation packages and assistance whereas the snotty nosed engineer could leave the company mid project in a lurch

Well Said Ajmat. Being an HR person myself. it feels cheated when you realise after background checks that the employee has fudged his experience and qualifications. The best and most suitable punishment is to terminate them and giving a "Special Character reference " when their new employer asks you about this employee's character.

Its true that when the IT engineer quits at the drop of a hat, without any rhyme or reason after enjoying all perks and training, when the company weeds out unsuitables from their system, why is there so much of hue and cry?
Old 21st April 2008, 20:11   #10
BANNED

The reason is when the company is downsizing (instead of putting up a brave face & telling the world), they identify the flimsiest of reasons and gives an employee the pink slip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Its true that when the IT engineer quits at the drop of a hat, without any rhyme or reason after enjoying all perks and training, when the company weeds out unsuitables from their system, why is there so much of hue and cry?
Old 21st April 2008, 20:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

What can a company do when its losing its revenue, and cannot sustain that number of engineers anymore? Is "Admitting to the World that we are in a deep hole" going to make things any better? Is it going to earn the company more projects and revenue? Is it going to save the jobs for the IT guys? I dont think so.

Last edited by hrman : 21st April 2008 at 20:21.
Old 21st April 2008, 20:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Common man.. you can easily add a lot more companies to the secure/retirement company list.!! This list may not necessarily contain the top-10 secure companies in India.
Old 21st April 2008, 20:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
what you say is true but it doesnt hold good only in the case of an IT engineer. Engineers generally have a very inflated opinion abt themselves and expect to earn big bucks from the word go.

I myself am studying engg and I am saying this from personal experience (I dont have an inflated opinion abt myself but I have seen a lot of friends and classmates).

And the IT industry paying such high salaries (compared to the other engineering industries ) is actually making life very difficult for people running engineering related businesses in other fields.

I have first hand knowledge abt the mechanical field as my dad's company is constantly grappling with labour problems. It is so difficult to get a good engineer and make him stick on.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2008, 21:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
A person gets 'X' salary. If he asks '2X', he won't get it. So he quits. When the same company hires a new person, they are willing to pay '2X', while incurring recruitment costs. Why don't they pay '2X' and retain the person?
there could many factors for that, the most common one is below:

this is cos, if u satisfy the demands of one employee, many others will come up with more demands.

rahter than that, hiring a new person sends across a message that disobidence or arm twisting tactics will not be entertained.
Old 21st April 2008, 21:20   #15
BANNED

Well, the company might prove that they can stick to their guns, but they are encouraging job-hopping (one person quit the current company and the another person quit his company to join this - so 2 job changes effected. Company pays for recruitment, lost productivity. Only gainers are head-hunters ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
there could many factors for that, the most common one is below:

this is cos, if u satisfy the demands of one employee, many others will come up with more demands.

rahter than that, hiring a new person sends across a message that disobidence or arm twisting tactics will not be entertained.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks