Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2015, 16:04   #211
BHPian

Re: Recession Again ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakshenoy View Post
Thanks Sultan for the mention!

Please feel free to comment - either on the link or here, would love to hear more thoughts.
Hi Deepak,

An excellent write-up indeed. Even though everyone knows what's happening, you have articulated it very well.
Old 9th January 2015, 16:26   #212
BHPian

Quote:

Please feel free to comment - either on the link or here, would love to hear more thoughts.
Shenoy mam,

You have captured the true essence of the fat pot bellied Middle Manager, in my opinion there is one more evil called denial of job progression and internal transfers lurking in the Indian space.

I have seen many a Manager's deny transfers or even promotions to their staff, b'cos their skills are valuable to the company at that point in time. Thereby not only denying them with a chance to re-invent themselves, but making them expensive in the job a few years later.
Old 9th January 2015, 17:37   #213
Senior - BHPian

I see young couples working in I.T., just a few years in to the job, taking huge housing loans to buy 1 crore rupee apartments. Not to speak of car loans. Some years down the line, this kind of situation will strangle them. Moderation is the need of the hour, but what seems to be happening is conspicuous consumption.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:06   #214
Senior - BHPian

This concept of learning new skills or go back to coding to stay relevant won't always work. You have to scale down your monetary expectations also. I have seen people with 30 years experience working as senior design engineer in US. Also in these markets high value resources are being terminated but allowed to re enter the organisation as contractors at much lower pay scales.
Old 9th January 2015, 18:22   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
I have seen many a Manager's deny transfers or even promotions to their staff, b'cos their skills are valuable to the company at that point in time. Thereby not only denying them with a chance to re-invent themselves, but making them expensive in the job a few years later.
This is a chronic problem, and typically managers even deny training options to people because they are too valuable to let go even for a month!

But yes, pay cuts, lower EMIs and in general moderation of expectations helps. But in today's ego driven world this is a severe problem, and people who have to learn this the hard way give up all risk taking altogether (which is also bad in my experience)
Old 27th January 2015, 14:55   #216
Team-BHP Support

Last week Forbes featured this article, about IBM's plan to fire 26% of their staff worldwide. The article specifically says "Stop believing everything you hear from IBM. Big Blue is a master at controlling the discussion. They state or announce something, treating it as fact whether it exists or not. They build a story around it."

Then IBM shot back saying it is not true.

The original author rebutted this week.

Whatever happens with IBM, one fact is true. Services business is shrinking, and shrinking very fast. Companies with large services armies have to cut in order to survive. Don't look at current revenues of TCS/IBM, they are looking at the next few years. They have to invent themselves to the next profitable model or perish.
Old 27th January 2015, 15:57   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You cannot be more right (and paint a scarier picture) than this:
The broader impact is on real estate and discretionary spends (like cars) *primarily debt based* and local economies (like Bangalore, Gurgaon-Noida, Pune, Hyderabad, ... basically any city that has grown faster thana bacterial culture since 1990s).

If manufacturing sector in India doesn't pick up by the time we are well into the inflexion point, we can be staring at a REAL Recession. (instead of fake ones cried hoarse when people in IT get less than 10% increment).
This real recession will have the capability to screw the entire Indian economy.

Last edited by alpha1 : 27th January 2015 at 15:58.
Old 30th January 2015, 05:47   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
My manager at a point in time denied me the opportunity to certify my skills on the basis that once certified, people usually moved on to greener pastures. What they fail to understand is that people move on when they find greater need for their skills elsewhere, or when their skills are not recognized as valuable in their current position.
Old 14th February 2015, 18:30   #219
BHPian

There is NO recession if you are a cab driver and get paid INR 90,000/- a month for doing nothing.

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...-uber-services

All these new-age ponzi business models, i tell you... sigh.
Old 21st February 2015, 18:38   #220
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Wipro will have a big "restructuring" going by this report :

http://boomlive.in/middle-managers-a...ro-ceo-kurien/
Old 21st February 2015, 20:42   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
A nice article here on the subject of how IT industry is at it's next inflexion point and what it means to middle managers :-)

http://capitalmind.in/2015/01/the-in...industry-long/
The days of quoting for headcount are over. The service industry will continue, but on a value or delivery based billing model rather than a headcount-based one.

The sooner IT companies realise this and change their billing to reflect the value their services provide, the better. The game has moved from providing 'cheap' services to providing expertise, which usually means more money for top-notch resources, but no money for heads that simply make up the count.
Old 6th March 2015, 00:33   #222
Team-BHP Support

Certain Kerala MPs are still not sure why TCS can get away with it.

http://www.thenewsminute.com/news_sections/3150
Old 1st June 2015, 10:23   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
They have to invent themselves to the next profitable model or perish.
Now even a former Microsoft India head agrees...

IT party is over. Now's the time to reinvent or die

Last edited by Samurai : 1st June 2015 at 10:27.
Old 11th June 2015, 16:03   #224
BHPian

My 2 cents on this..

Of late a lot of Big IT companies are shedding flak - which earlier was all right. Then some major banks are cutting down on hiring and proactively shedding their workforce. TCS did it at one go, but others like IBM & Infy are also reducing headcount but in a phased manner.

The big problem with Indian IT is that it is become stagnant - very rarely we are doing something new. We keep trying someone do more of what we are doing and increase our revenue. While everywhere else the push is for innovation and inprovement.

But are we heading towards a recession - that would be slightly far off.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:41   #225
Senior - BHPian

re: Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Resurrecting this old thread, instead of creating a new one. Seems relevant to the discussion.
The case of mid level IT personal is pretty bleak in India today. Most of the entry level jobs are slowly getting replaced by automated processes, leading to lower job creation and salary stagnation. The same is being predicted for mid level jobs too, and people who are not reskilling themselves will soon find themselves in the firing lines, without jobs.
Seems the IT golden age is well and truly over...

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/life-and...=home-rightnow

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks