Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2020, 11:40   #286
Team-BHP Support

re: Jobs, Attrition & Layoffs in IT companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
Surprised that more are not talking about this in India. There is a bloodbath. Some niche profiles may get international offers, but the bulk has been in distress and hiring has gone down like never before.
Just came out of the economics thread discussing something similar. All the top performing stocks are dominated by tech companies that have heavily benefited by the pandemic. Somehow that is supposed to represent the economy.

Same thing is happening on job front. Since most of IT staff can work from home (WFH), they are still managing or even thriving. Most other jobs are destroyed. My FIL has leased out his hotel/pub/restaurant, and he hasn't received any rent since March, since the lessee has shut it down since March. The employees of the lessee are jobless. This is the situation with more than half the businesses in hospitality industry. Who is counting these job losses?

Quote:
real plight of the most competent MBA graduates
Isn't that an oxymoron? Don't worry, I am also an MBA. At least, competent MBA graduates can start new businesses by identifying opportunities in this upheaval. But people who don't have business skill, like the workers in hospitality, or any retail businesses, they are really screwed.
Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 12:18   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just came out of the economics thread discussing something similar. All the top performing stocks are dominated by tech companies that have heavily benefited by the pandemic. Somehow that is supposed to represent the economy...
My own real brother works in Hospitality and although he still has his "Job", he doesn't go to work currently and receives no salary. He has no clue when actual work will resume and he will start getting paid again.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 27th August 2020 at 12:24. Reason: Trimmed quote.
raksrules is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2020, 17:41   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
My friends in IIMs (which have better talent than the so called top 5 in the B school list because of the CAT- and I have an MBA from the top 10) are struggling to find jobs in FinTech, E-commerce and even AI and statistics related fields in India. Startups have closed en masse. Hiring has frozen.
I'm hiring for competent AI + management skills. DM me.
v1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:06   #289
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
My own real brother works in Hospitality and although he still has his "Job", he doesn't go to work currently and receives no salary. He has no clue when actual work will resume and he will start getting paid again.
My uncle (mom's first cousin) was a manager in a restaurant in Mumbai, in unorganized sector. The restaurant he managed has shutdown, so he is sitting at home since March. His wife found a job in a doctor's office for ₹1000/month. No, it is not a typo. They are managing only because his sister (retired Bank employee) is sending him money every month from her pension. A friend's younger brother (non-IT) is in similar situation, so the older brother is funding his expenses. Another friend's wife (non-IT) was fired, but husband has income, so they are ok. My brother (in IT) got a 25% pay cut.

I know we should not go by anecdotal evidence, but I see them a lot within family and friend circle. Just because certain niche sectors are doing well on job front, doesn't mean we are in recovery phase after COVID19.

PS: Brothers are real, don't need to qualify it. Non-siblings can be called as cousins.
Samurai is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 13:55   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know we should not go by anecdotal evidence, but I see them a lot within family and friend circle.
Macro level picture also seems to indicate that. We should know by 5:30 PM today.

https://www.financialexpress.com/eco...tspot/2070115/
Old 1st September 2020, 01:12   #291

Surprisingly IT jobs are still coming through for niche skills. However RPA and AI skills are replacing lots of level 1 support jobs. The pandemic is accelerating this trend and we can shortly see entry level position for support being axed.
Old 8th October 2020, 09:37   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_BMWTravel View Post
Surprisingly IT jobs are still coming through for niche skills.
Since August hiring seems to have started in full swing. I see more calls & conversions now than 2018/19 levels for SAP domains itself which nowadays are no more niche. Even for cloud based technologies there’s solid demand.

I believe firms are managing to save a lot from this WFH model plus the ‘Pandemic’ has forced end user firms to go digital in a big way who were more dependent on physical stores. That seems to have led to more projects & eventually solid hiring.

Last edited by SoumenD : 8th October 2020 at 09:46.
Old 22nd October 2021, 17:21   #293
Team-BHP Support

Did this happen in India? If it did, I am not aware of it. Don't count IT attrition as part of it, they quit for a much better salary in another company. These people in the Video just quit.

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:16   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Did this happen in India? If it did, I am not aware of it. Don't count IT attrition as part of it, they quit for a much better salary in another company. These people in the Video just quit.
Most of us, especially over 40, who have spent considerable number of years working have made enough dough to last us a lifetime or two, yet continued to work because we were "afraid" to hang up our boots. The perennial "what if tomorrow" always held us back and made us stick to our jobs - ones we always hated. Covid made many of them experience the tipping point, and hence they are quitting.

I can feel for them as I am there already, and is waiting for the right trigger.

Apart from the "what if tomorrow" we Indians are also plagued with the "what will others think" syndrome. Well, its a bit convenient for us now as, working or not working we never get to leave our homes, so nobody would have to know - not even your spouse.
dragonfire is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 18:13   #295
BHPian

Here is another option, instead if just hanging up the boots. Leave the full time job,with insane working hours. Take up part-time work. Less money, but of course more time in hand. A meaningful job is one of the ways to stay happy, as per Art of Good Life, by Rolf Dobelli.
Romins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 20:53   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
Here is another option, instead if just hanging up the boots. Leave the full time job,with insane working hours. Take up part-time work. Less money, but of course more time in hand. A meaningful job is one of the ways to stay happy, as per Art of Good Life, by Rolf Dobelli.
We do not have part time option for all jobs. Normal jobs in India pay very less and can't pay our monthly bills. I have 4 dependents and can't even think of working part time.

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th October 2021 at 20:56.
Latheesh is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 21:12   #297
BHPian

Quote:
In india, there is no such thing as a part time job, unless it's an internship or a gig where they are paying you peanuts anyways.

If it's a job which needs skill and education and you are being paid well, your employer's expect you to be available at all times. Who is counting hours?!
hothatchaway is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th October 2021, 10:00   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
In india, there is no such thing as a part time job...
True for the most part, but there are opportunities depending on your field, even in IT. Design and Tech Writing in the software industry have several contract and short-term opportunities that pay very well. I know quite a few senior tech writing colleagues who have freelanced and used this option during various stints in their career when they didn't have the time for a full-time role and then returned to a full-time job when they could/wanted to. And these aren't internships or gigs, these have been as a part of full-fledged software development projects where the company didn't have a tech writing function yet and so needed an outside resource.

Last edited by am1m : 28th October 2021 at 10:04.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 19:49   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We do not have part time option for all jobs
There are many consultant roles in engineering, finance and teaching with part-time options in India. We generally like to work full time, so these options were never used. A leading Indian IT company has 5hrs per day option, at least on paper, but I don't know anyone who has opted for this. Part-time, 4 days week, freelancing - these will become more popular. Pandemic has made us realized that our life doesn't have to revolved around a 10hr job.
Romins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 09:16   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are many consultant roles in engineering, finance and teaching with part-time options in India. We generally like to work full time, so these options were never used. A leading Indian IT company has 5hrs per day option, at least on paper, but I don't know anyone who has opted for this. Part-time, 4 days week, freelancing - these will become more popular. Pandemic has made us realized that our life doesn't have to revolved around a 10hr job.
Thank you @Romins for your inputs. Sharing my perspective from having seen part time self employment at close quarters {my spouse} for 3+ decades.

If you are self employed and wish to work only part time you just might succeed but only if you are willing to make do with a substantially lesser earnings a month and live with earnings that ebb and flow each month without consistency. So if you are not the primary bread winner you can do this but not otherwise. A self employed person, in order to earn a meaningful living, let's say of Rs 1.50 lakhs a month net of tax, needs to work very hard to stay abreast of the latest developments in his chosen field, has to spend a significant volume of time marketing himself {assignments don't just come your way} and must chase collections to feed his family. Any employee in a settled job thinking he will make a career of part time work 4 days a week may be in for a surprise. My wife who is self employed in her chosen profession and has over two dozen top corporates as clients, has had the liberty to work from home some of the time and the flexibility to not work a 10-hour day 6 days a week {like me} but the variance in her earnings, month on month, would have made surviving on them alone a challenge. Just sharing my experience.
V.Narayan is offline   (34) Thanks

Most Viewed