Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2008, 09:40   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrozenFire View Post
I thought Infy always prided itself about honesty. However, what is to be taken note of is that the article is dated Feb, 2003. I wonder what the situation is now
These problems only grow with size, and now Infy is much more bigger.

At the corporate level, I guess they have tried to be honest, but it is very hard to do in a state that is ranked 4th in corruption in India. One thing they did was provide free Qualis fleet and modern buildings to Bangalore police. Beats the hell out of paying regular bribe to keep out of trouble. That was a great initiative. But as size grows, it becomes very hard to maintain the same quality management or rank & file. They tried to solve the problem by automating, intense monitoring, thereby losing the human touch. But beyond a certain size it becomes very hard to keep away bad apples who infiltrate and rot the system from inside. Being HR in Infy is a very powerful position and corruption was bound to happen eventually when so much recruitment was happening.

Last edited by Samurai : 7th May 2008 at 09:49.
Old 7th May 2008, 10:59   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a totally different note, how many people (percentage) on team-bhp do you guys think work in BPO's/Customer Support/IT positions in India.
A BIG chunk of them!
Old 7th May 2008, 13:07   #108
Team-BHP Support

About Infy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Heard that they are very strict (as seems Wipro) with respect to clocking a certain number of hours inside the building everyday.
Very true. And it should be 8.5 hours per day. If its less on one day, it HAS to be compensated some other day of the week. Employees being enterprising as they are, developed a way to counter this. Be in office, however not at your seat. Loiter at the number of foodcourts, take a stroll around campus, use the gym, or play pool and then just before you leave, swipe out.
Old 7th May 2008, 13:22   #109
BHPian

Long working hour and weekend working culture has now even caught European/American companies as well - probably because they now have too many Indian IT employees On the other hand, Indian IT firms has picked up the hiring-firing strategy like their westeren counterpart.

Pity, instead of picking up each others' good habits, they have both chosen the bad ones!
Old 7th May 2008, 13:26   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
And it should be 8.5 hours per day. If its less on one day, it HAS to be compensated some other day of the week....
How do they account for hours if someone is working from home?
Old 7th May 2008, 16:41   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
About Infy:

Very true. And it should be 8.5 hours per day. If its less on one day, it HAS to be compensated some other day of the week. Employees being enterprising as they are, developed a way to counter this. Be in office, however not at your seat. Loiter at the number of foodcourts, take a stroll around campus, use the gym, or play pool and then just before you leave, swipe out.
when i was there (until 2006), the time difference was not monitored. swiping the card once was enough to complete the attendance. not sure if it has changed now. I think other companies are more strict towards timing (specially in US, from where the culture came in the first place).
Old 7th May 2008, 16:43   #112
Team-BHP Support

Most MNCs from US I have seen do not even take attendence.
In Silicon valley I know many people who go to office just twice a week and work from home most of the time.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:06   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How do they account for hours if someone is working from home?
Unless during times of pregnancy or emergencies, they dont really have a Work From Home option. Ofcourse, managers do log in from home and send mails to prove they are working (??).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
when i was there (until 2006), the time difference was not monitored. swiping the card once was enough to complete the attendance. not sure if it has changed now. I think other companies are more strict towards timing (specially in US, from where the culture came in the first place).
Now i am told they monitor it a lot more in detail and also a single swipe at any time of the day doesnt guarantee that one is present. It has to be an in and an out. If either, it needs to be approved by the manager.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:15   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Isn't that step a lil extreme ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
for the company or the employee ?
I have been observing this respect for support staff in IBM for a long time now, especially after importing/recruting managers with little leadership skills and loads of -ve attitude.

There are only two ways to grow in IBM.
(a) Open ones mouth, only to polish superiors shoes
(b) Walk the Talk with superiors, every single moment in the office

Last edited by Rocky_Balboa : 7th May 2008 at 17:21.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:20   #115
Senior - BHPian

In the good old days, TCS had this stupid attendance system where they put a junk PC at the reception and we had to queue up like morons and enter our employee number onto a web based attendance system. Same process when signing off at the end of the day.

I noted down the url of the website and started logging in my attendance from my desk for many months .. then the tube lights who designed the system got a lil wiser.. LOL.
Old 7th May 2008, 17:51   #116
BHPian

This is how the presenter at one of the college convocations read the placement report.

From our college, 3 students got placed in Satyam. medium tone followed by clap clap clap

5 got placed in Wipro. medium tone followed by clap clap clap

and 3 got placed in INFOSYS. bellowing, rejoicing, delighted tone, the claps did not stop for 2 monutes

What do you make of that?

Little did the 3 placed in Infy know that they will have to undergo "intensive training" for 3 months in god-forsaken Mysore!!

Last edited by Proxima : 7th May 2008 at 17:53.
Old 7th May 2008, 18:11   #117
BANNED

Training is the best part - they have multiplexes, all sports stadia (Indian cricket team practised there), top-class gym, and internet in all rooms.

What more, they are privileged to be in cultural capital of Karnataka, Mysore.

Quote:
Little did the 3 placed in Infy know that they will have to undergo "intensive training" for 3 months in god-forsaken Mysore!!

Last edited by diabloo : 7th May 2008 at 18:15.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is how the presenter at one of the college convocations read the placement report.
How much these companies pay now a days?

I heard that all of them pay ~3.5 lakh CTC, is that right?
Old 7th May 2008, 19:07   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
it feels cheated when you realise after background checks that the employee has fudged his experience and qualifications. The best and most suitable punishment is to terminate them and giving a "Special Character reference " when their new employer asks you about this employee's character.

Its true that when the IT engineer quits at the drop of a hat, without any rhyme or reason after enjoying all perks and training, when the company weeds out unsuitables from their system, why is there so much of hue and cry?
this is true in all companies..you train your people hard and they leave you at the drop of a hat. Sad Indian laws are not yet firm. The more hard they make it for companies, the smarter are the induviduals who leave them.
Old 7th May 2008, 19:23   #120
Team-BHP Support

My company has norms on working from home

1: It should be once a week
2: You are expected to be accessable by mail or IM
3: It is not in lieu of sick leave, child care - although if you are okay to work but not well enough to commute, it is a different matter

Of course, if you overdo it, it gets noticed

Most Viewed