Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2008, 12:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hip Hip Hurray ISRO

Hi brothers!

India's PSLV-C9 has successfully injected ten satellites into orbit.

The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), set up 35 years ago, may be a baby among the world's space faring nations. But, it is competing with the other biggies to set world records.

And the mission, which has given ISRO an edge over other competitors, is the launch of India's latest Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV).

The launch vehicle took off from Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh and has launched 10 satellites - a feat which has created a world record.

PSLV weighs 230 tons - the weight of almost 50 elephants - and is as high as a 12-storey building.

The launch vehicle has put two Indian and eight foreign satellites into orbit, it has beaten the current world record of hoisting eight satellites at one go accomplished by Russia almost a year ago.

Note to MODS: If there is any other thread that has already doing the rounds, please merge the same and the content are excerpts from AP.
Old 28th April 2008, 12:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

Really a great achievement. ISRO is one of the shining examples that works in India.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:11   #3
BANNED

I haven't seen even a single one. Is ISRO lying about the launches?
Old 28th April 2008, 14:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Congratz to all the brilliant engineers and others who were involved Need to learn a lesson or two from the bunch, on team work i guess.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:46   #5
BHPian

ISRO is one of the few govt sponsored institutes that is doing the country proud. Their launches are one of the cheapest in the world. Way to go!!
Old 28th April 2008, 14:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz to all the brilliant engineers and others who were involved Need to learn a lesson or two from the bunch, on team work i guess.
Yeah - great effort there and congrats ISRO.

Last edited by Steeroid : 28th April 2008 at 14:58.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

what can I say. Was close to tears after the first aborted GSLV launch back in mar-2001. After 7 years, and a few more launches later, we have made History. KUDOS to the dream of Kalam, Kasturirangan and alikes.
Old 28th April 2008, 14:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Certainly great stalwarts in the space missions made quite a contribution and its great to see that the pace of our space missions can only be rated the very best as compared to the other giants with relevance to the fact that it started a bit late as against them.
Old 28th April 2008, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well done ISRO!

We also need to send a man in space soon given that China has already done that twice and Russia did that 47 years ago!

As of now only three countries in the world have the demonstrated capability to send men in space: Russia, US and China although many others can launch satellites.
Old 28th April 2008, 20:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Awesome job ISRO!

Making India proud.
Old 28th April 2008, 21:58   #11
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
We also need to send a man in space soon given that China has already done that twice and Russia did that 47 years ago!
Haven't we already done that?... well, didn't use our own launch vehicle i guess.
Old 28th April 2008, 23:39   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I haven't seen even a single one. Is ISRO lying about the launches?
U mean the satellites? Just grab some scuba gear and head to the nearest seashore.

I know its just an old joke about ISRO dont take it seriously, but still the budgetary allocation for them is miniscule compared to that of many other nations.And it is evident also. I've had the privillege to visit Sriharikota once, and things were't even half as impressive as I expected them to be. I've seen even more impressive buildings and campuses for Private engineering colleges.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Having achieved an important milestone yesterday, it was too insignificant for our news media coverage(happened to watch CNN IBN @ Prime time) as it took a backseat as compared to Bhajji's hearing and KPS Gill's exclusion.What a pity and when will our media try to prioritize issues instead of pandering to gutter journalism (like AB ko Thand Lagi---star news and aaj tak are stalwarts in flashing such news)...
Nevertheless it made it to BBC and CNN and once again hats off to the people involved.
Old 29th April 2008, 10:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is proud achivement for us, and we can hold our head high in pride. Great job, ISRO.
This is the second great achievement this year, the first being the Nano invention.
Old 29th April 2008, 11:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
U mean the satellites? Just grab some scuba gear and head to the nearest seashore.

I know its just an old joke about ISRO dont take it seriously, but still the budgetary allocation for them is miniscule compared to that of many other nations.And it is evident also. I've had the privillege to visit Sriharikota once, and things were't even half as impressive as I expected them to be. I've seen even more impressive buildings and campuses for Private engineering colleges.
I agree since I have been there for a while. At that time they used to have the old Digital VAX systems & PDPs. If I remember right it was during the Mr. Narashima Rao period when they got more budget. If you see the labs and surroundings. i am sure no will even agree that such a history is done by these guys with this environment.

I still remember those Russian based OS on the windows machines which we use to stare at

Really a very very appreciable achievement by our scientists.

Seems like sending the PSLV has become a child's play for them now. I think that should be one of the main reason for aiming the moon now. Give more challanging task for our scientists.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks