Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped
Yes. The things are not likely to improve much. 30 62.50%
No. Give it some time to improve. 18 37.50%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 17:16   #76
BHPian

While being a car lover, I can recognize that billions of privately driven fossil-fuel running cars is not a feasible option in the long run. Public transport has to play a major role.

Now whether the BRT is the best way to go about it is arguable. But I definitely don't think it's the worst.

The biggest problem IMHO is that it's too little. If the BRT existed on every major road, with all buses on that system it may work. Now before you head for the Reply button to release your frustration my way, please understand what I mean by this. Public transportation can and will be successful only if a person can get from door-to-door. So if bus-stop / metro station is within walking distance of everyone, it would work beautifully. Till that point, yes there will be inconvenience, irritation and a lot of public outcry.

What remains to be seen is whether the BRT is part of a holistic plan to reach that stage or a band-aid on an axe-wound.
Old 6th May 2008, 17:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vebmetal View Post
What remains to be seen is whether the BRT is part of a holistic plan to reach that stage or a band-aid on an axe-wound.
Currently, Veb, it is not a band-aid on an axe-wound, it is more like salt!
Old 6th May 2008, 21:47   #78
Senior - BHPian

Actually, another reason I hope it works. Once NANO effect floods dilli, our existing roads will anyways become useless. Better to get BRT off the blocks by then.

Now only thing I want is a decent AC bus that takes 1-1:20 hours to cantt from khanpur
Old 7th May 2008, 21:29   #79
Senior - BHPian

Another kneejerk reaction from the government. The buses will now run in the leftmost lane and there will be no medians to seperate the lanes. This is likely to spare the necessary road space for traffic movement. Moreover, there will be two MotorVehicle lanes instead of one.

The existing stretch will continue in its current form. This is exactly what all the people and the Delhi traffic police has been advocating all along.

While I a not opposed to the BRT as a concepr wht bothers me is the way it is being "imposed " on the peolpe without proper and realistic studies being done compared to the DMRC where meticulous attention is paid to detail.

What will help Delh is widespread metro system with feeder buses to support it. The BRT is is typical example of govt armchair experts experimenting at the cost of hapless commuters and trying one harebrained suggestion after the other rather than owning up that they F***** up .
Old 8th May 2008, 01:18   #80
BHPian

On the other hand, it's a plan made by that IIT dude (what's his name?). So really it shows how the private sector / citizens are no better at coming up with solutions than the govt. They are just more efficient at wasting money and bitching about stuff.

The latest rollback is a travesty. I don't see how it is different from the existing system of non-separated bus lanes on the left (which clearly does NOT work).

What the BRT's seeming failure shows us is not really how badly the government plans, as much as it shows us how piss-poor Delhi drivers are.

They need to outsource traffic enforcement to John Rambo and let him kick some *** of lane-changers and red-light-breakers. And by kick some *** I mean stab them in the eye.
Old 8th May 2008, 01:59   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, it's a plan made by that IIT dude (what's his name?). So really it shows how the private sector / citizens are no better at coming up with solutions than the govt. They are just more efficient at wasting money and bitching about stuff.
Right, So you think all the private companies that are doing well today in the global scenario inspite of our Government/Politicians best attempt to restrict them are all bitchers & more interested in wasting money than earning it? Right?

So I suppose people like Tata, Wipro & Infosys would be on the high list of the bitchers, right?

Quote:
What the BRT's seeming failure shows us is not really how badly the government plans, as much as it shows us how piss-poor Delhi drivers are.
Oh yeah! So by the introduction of the BRT corridor all the bus drivers who've always been the main menace on our roads suddenly turned into law-abiding super drivers eh? And the rest just became crappier, right?

Think what you're talking about man, Blue line drivers were the crux of the problem from day one. Has there been any difference in their driving from the last ten-fifteen years to now? I don't think so, things have only gone worse.

So don't blame the other drivers for it, there are better drivers on the road out there than you can think about.

Quote:
They need to outsource traffic enforcement to John Rambo and let him kick some *** of lane-changers and red-light-breakers. And by kick some *** I mean stab them in the eye.
Right, so what is this John ****ing Rambo supposed to do to a bus driver who runs a red light & over a couple of pedestrians or two-wheeler riders or when he bangs a car since he decided to needed to change lane suddenly without caring for what was besides him? Kill then with his huge knife in full public view or as you suggest blind them?

Stop talking nonsense please. This is a serious thread.

Last edited by iraghava : 8th May 2008 at 02:15.
Old 8th May 2008, 02:58   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Right, So you think all the private companies that are doing well today in the global scenario inspite of our Government/Politicians best attempt to restrict them are all bitchers & more interested in wasting money than earning it? Right?

So I suppose people like Tata, Wipro & Infosys would be on the high list of the bitchers, right?
I am not sure at how you arrived at that. Seems a non-sequitur of sorts on your part. My point was simply that the BRT was a brainchild of that dude at IIT, i.e. the initiative and the idea did not arise from the government.
That's not to say that all private parties are stupid. That would be incorrect. But equally incorrect is the claim that only the government is stupid, and the private sector is the paragon of human intellect and efficiency. My point is that they are both two sides of the same coin called human ugliness. But that's a debate for another day, another thread (just like your statement that the private sector does well inspite of government and politicians). So let's not get into that. In the interest of not continuing that argument, you may consider that I concede defeat.

Quote:
Oh yeah! So by the introduction of the BRT corridor all the bus drivers who've always been the main menace on our roads suddenly turned into law-abiding super drivers eh? And the rest just became crappier, right?

Think what you're talking about man, Blue line drivers were the crux of the problem from day one. Has there been any difference in their driving from the last ten-fifteen years to now? I don't think so, things have only gone worse.

So don't blame the other drivers for it, there are better drivers on the road out there than you can think about.
Thoroughly disagree with you there.

Firstly, I include blueline bus drivers when I say "Delhi drivers", as much as I include private 4-wheeler drivers, autorickshaw drivers, 2-wheeler drivers etc. etc.

Secondly, I may be mistaken, but the BRT is not really a direct reaction to or directly supposed to be a solution to the blueline menace (as you seem to be saying). AFAIK it's supposed to be a measure to solve the increasing traffic congestion in Delhi, and to provide better public transport to the masses, who unlike privileged folk like us on team-bhp do not have private vehicles. In summation, it's about congestion not blueline menace.

Thirdly, blueline drivers are definitely NOT the crux of traffic congestion. The crux of traffic congestion is the increasing number of private vehicles (4 and 2 wheelers) on the road. Congestion is further aggravated by the fact that most Delhi drivers (remember this includes bus drivers) drive piss-poor when it comes to following lanes, adhering to red lights, giving right-of-way, navigating roundabouts etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. You get the point.

IF ANYTHING, we have too few buses on the road. (As the Supreme and High court has repeatedly told the government).

Quote:
Right, so what is this John ****ing Rambo supposed to do to a bus driver who runs a red light & over a couple of pedestrians or two-wheeler riders?
Just like I said: stab them in the eye.

Quote:
Stop talking nonsense please. This is a serious thread.
So if I say something that is contrary to your opinion and/or media-led-mass-public-ranting it is nonsense?
Or are you referring to my Rambo joke? On which case, I am so sorry but that was hardly a point to latch onto and take offense to.
Save for my (now-seeming poor attempt at a) joke, my post was intended to be serious and not "nonsense" as you so graciously dismiss it to be.

And iRaghava, since I detect some anger and tension in your tone, please, let's keep this civil and not personal.
Old 22nd August 2008, 12:59   #83
Senior - BHPian

Bump......bump!

Thought it would be interesting to get a few fresh perspectives 3 months later. Here's mine -

Have started using the BRT (Chirag Delhi flyover to Sheikh Sarai T point) on my way back from work & I find that traffic seems to be flowing smoothly, by & large. I think the reason for that is because a lot of people have changed their routes & gone off the BRT. Have tried it a couple of times going to work in the morning as well (reverse direction, around 8.30 am) and its not too bad - 10 minutes max for the stretch.

Any other users comments?
Old 22nd August 2008, 16:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't it mean its working?
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:29   #85
Senior - BHPian

Well as a result the other routes are pretty much choked these days. And the wait times at junctions are still too long, on Sunday it took me the best part of 10 mins to cross the Chiragh Delhi red light.
Old 22nd August 2008, 17:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
I think the reason for that is because a lot of people have changed their routes & gone off the BRT. Have tried it a couple of times going to work in the morning as well (reverse direction, around 8.30 am) and its not too bad - 10 minutes max for the stretch.

Any other users comments?
I do agree. Went from there a month back and got stuck for an hour and since then just avoid that route and know many more who had changed their routes.
Old 22nd August 2008, 18:02   #87
BHPian

My office is at Madangir, sitting right on top of BRT. In the mornings it takes me max 0 mintues from Alaknanda to Madangir through BRT and in the evenings it takes me around 15 mintues from Madangir to Alaknanda through Khanpur/Batra Hospital route. But if i have to leave anytime during the day and have to go towards Chirag Delhi i simply leave atleast 40 Minutes early 'coz it normally takes 30 minutes from Madangir to crossing the Chiragh Delhi red light and recently our CM has very strictly said that the other stretches of BRT will not be scrapped and the work will go on as planned!! God save us!!
Old 22nd August 2008, 22:35   #88
BHPian

The BRT corridor is a complete failure.

The road width needs to be doubled (at least). The BRT has shrunk it in half. A huge volume of traffic is taking alternate routes to avoid the BRT route, causing congestion in surrounding roads.

Despite the BRT making the traffic congestion worse, the people responsible refuse to acknowledge that they have made a mistake.

The only way that the Govt. will scrap this nonsense project is if the public starts a BRT roko agitation.

Have a few sit in's blocking the BRT lane, a couple of folks do self immolation bids after stuck in BRT traffic for an hour and the project will be scrapped in no time.
Old 23rd August 2008, 10:43   #89
Team-BHP Support

What do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
In the mornings it takes me max 0 mintues from Alaknanda to Madangir through BRT
Old 6th April 2015, 20:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should the BRT corridor in New Delhi be scrapped

The new AAP government has taken over the reins in Delhi. the new Chief Minister is moving the files for scrapping the BRT. Hopefully the life on this corridor will be better for the people using it. Can't wait to see it scrapped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks