Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 14:46   #16
Senior - BHPian

May their souls rest in peace. Sad end indeed. There was a wedding in my locality and I could see people packed like stuffed vegetables in Tavera's, scorpios and Rhino's. I then what for a moment, what would happen if the car meets with an accident. Days later, I know now :(
Old 5th May 2008, 19:49   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ram : The only difference is that the sideways facing benches are two seaters in the Cruiser and three seaters in the Toofan.

So the capacity is either 9+ driver or 11+driver. In both cases less than
the 19 that were travelling.
No arguments with the info you have provided here. But that's the theoritical & registered capacity. On-road configurations are different, esp with this particular model. The vehicle is bought mainly because of the number of people it can be filled with, for that price.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Funny that the trailer didn't feel even a bit of the impact.Whether the Trax was doing 65km/h or 130km/h,there should have been some effect on the trailer.
Well..hope the injured recover soon.As for ther dead, may their souls rest in peace.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:26   #19
BHPian

Nothing sort of amazing, i am assuming that the trailor was of 20 tonne capacity and loaded. a Trax fullly loaded is bound to weigh 3 tons odd. The trailor would have been doing a 50-60kmph and might also have been tired. The engine of those trucks are noisy and a bang in the trailor may not even be transported to the cabin(the trailer is just hooked to the cabin). So its less likely that he would have either heard it felt it(atleast not a big jolt). Being tired he would defintiely have ignored the mild jolt as some small issue with transmission.

Least did he know what waited him after 7 kms.
Old 5th May 2008, 21:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

looks like they all killed each other, the force of impact flung the passengers into each other causing injury. The Trax does not look so crushed
Old 5th May 2008, 22:59   #21
BANNED

The problem is there is no value for life in India, so such things will keep happening. Right now there will be hundreds other Traxs, Sumos and Boleros packed beyond capacity doing insane speeds right under the noses of the polics, the toll operators and us the general public with no one bothered. Such things can very easily be monitored and avoided but no one cares. Until Human life gets some request we will keep reading about such incidents. Sad but Ture.
Old 5th May 2008, 23:42   #22
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmur View Post
Nothing short of amazing, i am assuming that the trailor was of 20 tonne capacity and loaded...
40-foot containers can be extremely heavy indeed. Certainly heavy enough to crush a large passenger sedan or two.

Check out:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-junction.html
Old 6th May 2008, 00:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

An empty 40' container weighs between 2800 kgs to 4200 kgs.
Old 6th May 2008, 00:14   #24
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
looks like they all killed each other, the force of impact flung the passengers into each other causing injury. The Trax does not look so crushed
Assuming the Trax was doing 130 km/h and the container-trailer 58 km/h,
all internal impacts would have a [130 km/h - 58 km/h = ] 72 km/h velocity.

Then again, of all the vehicles produced in India, the interior of the Trax must have the most exposed metal, sharp edges and corners, exposed rivets, unergonomic seats, exposed steel tube seatframes, unyielding hard plastic dashboard with no padding, and fibreglass artifacts -- grab handles and even window winder cranks. All of these would become sources of nasty impact trauma.

And being a two box vehicle, even loose items of passenger luggage would become deadly projectiles flying inside the vehicle at 72 km/h,
which is 20 metres/second.
Old 6th May 2008, 01:37   #25

I think we are all looking at just one side of the story. It is agreed that the driver was at fault by loading 19 people in a vehicle of capacity of 14, that the driver was over worked, tired and sleepy. But what about the trailer? Nobody noticed the fact that how did the trax entered in the gap at the first place? Did the trailer had a horizontal bar which prevents vehicle from rear-ending? If not then what is the law in India regarding the installation of rear bars and side bars on a truck? If there is such a law in place, whose fault is it for not installing the rear and side bars, is it the driver or the owner of the trailer?
Old 6th May 2008, 04:32   #26
BHPian

God Bless the inocent souls, who lost their lives in this horrifying crash. I agree with each word Spitfire has said. Why ? Because 8 years ago I was an victim to such an accident. I had rented a car, the driver didnt have any sleep the night(came to know about it after the accident) and the retarded owner had send him again, to cover a journey of 250 kms. Slept while driving, went on the other lane. I was sitting in the front seat, I tried whatever I could to say the car to the left lane, but BANG, head on collision with a ST. It just all happened too quick. Well, anyways, still pisses me off that the system hasnt changed. Many lives are lost due the miserable owners of these cars. Well, the cops can prevent this is from happening, but dont know how these people can live with a guilt, that due to their deeds, many inocent peple loose their lives.
What still suprises me about this is, 7 kms. Considering the trucks speed, that means it dragged the Trax for almost 10 minutes. And NO ONE saw it ?

Last edited by AnniHilat0R : 6th May 2008 at 04:36.
Old 6th May 2008, 09:56   #27
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
What still suprises me about this is, 7 kms. Considering the trucks speed, that means it dragged the Trax for almost 10 minutes. And NO ONE saw it ?
The Mumbai-Pune expressway is quite deserted and empty of travelers at
4 am in the morning. And local villagers are kept away by the chain-mesh cattle fencing that isolates the entire length of expressway.

Most Viewed